• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Best Main Pokemon Game of the 3DS Era?

Best Main Pokemon Game of the 3DS Era?

• X and Y

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Sun and Moon

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • All of them suck

Votes: 10 10.5%

• Total voters
Why do people keep pointing out Santalune Forest in these “too much Kanto” discussions?

To my recollection, they’ve only ever copied a previous region’s dungeon wholesale twice - with Santalune Forest and Resolution Cave. Kanto and Kalos are literally on equal footing here.

In terms of character cameos, the Alola games certainly did not favor Kanto; they actually did a goob job with all regions but Johto for whatever reason. In contrast, XY only had Looker.

More Mega's for Kanto than any other Gen.
Between XY and ORAS, there were 22 Hoenn Megas (including the Primals) and 15 Kanto ones. They obviously kept a fair number of Hoenn ones for ORAS, but even XY already had 8 of them (not including the Eon duo).

Regional variants are where the bias was clear, which made sense for SM but it should have been balanced in USUM.

They do make references to other regions and other generations a lot, but Kanto tends to get more than others... or it feels like the way to me. In my eyes, it makes Game Freak seem like they are not confident in their ability to make new, appealing regions and Pokemon so they have to resort to some Gen I content to attract people. I won't deny that Kanto sells, but how long will it keep selling? I don't think they can rely on Gen I's appeal forever.

I'd have to say it's a tie between ORAS and USUM as, despite their flaws, they worked out the best compared to their other counterparts. I'm leaning more toward ORAS, however, as things like the DexNav, soaring, and other such side-quests gave me a lot to work with. Plus they had RS to build off of, which gave the remakes more of a foundation to work with, while also meshing the Mega Evo subplot in without much trouble. XY was just too bare bones to really enjoy, especially with the lack of an actual plot (though the fashion choices were far superior), and SM had way too many cutscenes and too much handholding to muddle through.

I hate to admit it, but the DS era games far outstrip the 3DS era games, which is one reason why I'm not interested in a Switch. Despite hardware limitation, the DS games had a lot more to offer and plenty of fun side-quests to accomplish than their "successors" did. I can spend hours messing around in Platinum's underground or Unova's PokeStar Studio and such, while in the 3DS era, there isn't a whole lot to work with. Which is one reason why I won't be buying a Switch, as my expectations have dropped, thus I'm not shelling out $200 or so for a new console. Besides, I have a policy regarding that: I do not buy a new game console unless there are at least 3 games I want to play on it. And besides, I'm running out of space for new consoles anyway (to elaborate, I have a PS2, PS3, PS4, Wii, Wii U, DS Lite, 2 3DS, and a PSP, I think that's enough), so I think it's time to hang up my Poke Ball belt and call it a day. It's why I've been saying that USUM will be my last hurrah in Pokemon, as there just isn't enough to look forward to anymore to justify shelling out big bucks for another console and game.

So, to put it simply, the whole era was lacking, but ORAS and USUM were definitely the high points. That's my 2 cents.

I decided not to vote, because I don't think all of them were bad - but none were very idealized as Pokemon games for me. I liked certain elements of each game, but the there was a sense that each one was incomplete:

XY did the battle dynamics, customization, and Pokemon distribution very, very well - and the replayability is strong because of how you can have so many different team and character options to choose from. The issues were the overly linear region, the bland storyline, and the very empty postgame.

ORAS were fine as remakes are concerned, and the dexnav was very well implemented. The problem was the customization options were cut out, the in-game team options were very low (Which kind of affects my sense of replayability), and while the postgame was a step up from X/Y, It still lacked the nice battle facilities from Gen. 3-4.

Sun/Moon was a grand step up in graphics, and the storyline was much better than much of the previous generations. There was also great character development - Team Skull has to be the most memorable evil team I've ever mowed down! And yet the lack of a decent postgame, the heave handholding, the poor execution of many of its advertised features, and the general emptiness and little exploration in the region really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I skipped USUM because I felt betrayed from buying S/M. And looking at how people view them here, I don't think I'm missing much. I guess a Battle Factory-like facility returning is a plus, though.

Honestly, I wish I could splice the features I liked in all the 3DS titles, and make a good game from them.

While you're right they do make occasional references to other games and regions the number is disproportionately tilted towards Kanto.

Alolan forms, Oaks cousin, santalune Forrest. Kanto starters in XY. Kantonian Gym. More Mega's for Kanto than any other Gen.

For me I love Kanto it was my first but I get that people who started in other regions may feel ticked off.
the reality of the situation is that Kanto is the oldest, giving it the most opportunity to be referenced. of course there are fewer references to Unova, the games are what, six years old? that aside, all you have to do is look at ORAS. Game Freak practically has a carte blanche to expand on Hoenn and what do they do? make countless references to where? Kalos. but you won't cop anyone mentioning that because it wouldn't fit their Kanto reference circlejerk. hell even in your examples, Alolan forms aside, there's additional references to different regions in that same vein or a counterpoint.

the reality of the situation is that Kanto is the oldest, giving it the most opportunity to be referenced. of course there are fewer references to Unova, the games are what, six years old? that aside, all you have to do is look at ORAS. Game Freak practically has a carte blanche to expand on Hoenn and what do they do? make countless references to where? Kalos. but you won't cop anyone mentioning that because it wouldn't fit their Kanto reference circlejerk. hell even in your examples, Alolan forms aside, there's additional references to different regions in that same vein or a counterpoint.
Yes, there were references to other regions. But Kanto was referenced to justify celebrating all those "anniversaries" - all throughout the 3DS era. Anniversary this, anniversary that, might as well make it a whopping Kanto anniversary series for 5 years. Too much celebration.

As I said above I am a fan of Kanto. It was my first region and holds a huge amount of nostalgia for me. But I am capable of putting myself in other people's shoes for a moment and realising not everyone feels the same love towards Kanto that I do.

You can probably find at least 1 reference to every other region in every single game, but that doesn't take into account the weighting.

It's an example of false equivalence to say that Kanto getting dozens of references and unova for example getting 1 or 2 is somehow equal and balanced.

As I said above I am a fan of Kanto. It was my first region and holds a huge amount of nostalgia for me. But I am capable of putting myself in other people's shoes for a moment and realising not everyone feels the same love towards Kanto that I do.
one's sentimental attachment to a region is irrelevant. Game Freak will reference Kanto. they will also reference other regions. you* can saddle up and get with the program or you* can get your nuts in a twist any time they use That K-Word. i hate Sinnoh, but you don't see me screeching about the obvious and gratuitous fanservice Game Freak gives Cynthia.

* - these are general yous since you seem to be under the impression that i could only be referring to you specifically here
You can probably find at least 1 reference to every other region in every single game, but that doesn't take into account the weighting.
weighting makes the argument against Kanto references even worse because at best most Kanto references are simply 'cameos' (or an eq of).
It's an example of false equivalence to say that Kanto getting dozens of references and unova for example getting 1 or 2 is somehow equal and balanced.
i did not say it was equal and balanced. to take a page from your book, that is simply a strawman. i said it's obvious that Kanto is referenced the most simply because it is the oldest, giving it the most opportunities to be referenced.

Last edited:
It seems I am one of the few people who enjoyed the 3-ds generation of Pokémon games. I didn't vote cause was no love them all equally option.
give it time. a couple generations and the internet will be abuzz with how Pokemon 10's plot is just so derivative of XY's what with how Villain 10 is just a wanna-be Lysandre and the big generational gimmick of Super Ultra Mega Re-evolution being a watered-down Mega Evolution.

Why do people keep pointing out Santalune Forest in these “too much Kanto” discussions?

To my recollection, they’ve only ever copied a previous region’s dungeon wholesale twice - with Santalune Forest and Resolution Cave. Kanto and Kalos are literally on equal footing here.

First impressions. They took an entire setpiece from an old game and placed it at the start of a new adventure. Add to that the second starter Pokemon, Snorlax blocking your path on a bridge, and being told to fetch the Pokeflute all before your second badge, and the game starts to feel like it's maybe doing little too much to remind you of the past.

At least things like the Sea Spirits Den, Blue visiting Kalos as a student, or the Jubilife City remix in Snowbelle are more subtle or out of your way. Same can be said of Zygarde's room in Resolution Cave, which is all the way in the back of Poni Island and part of an optional side-quest.

Man so much negativity for the switch games before we even have a new for the games, makes me feel bad for buying the switch before even knowing if it'd have a Pokemon game xD. Will say that the da/Gameboy era is my favorite era of Pokemon but that's not to say the 3ds era was so horrible that it warrents distrust for future games.

That comes with the switch if those games fail to bring good story, and fun gameplay it might be over for game freak with older fans. But gamefreak will never lose Pokemon because there will always be a new generation of kids to buy these games. Maybe our time has just long passed us by. We're no longer the audience they're aiming for

I enjoyed XY the most, honestly. They just resonated with me more.

All of them are great, but XY just gripped me in ways that the others didn't. That said, Lillie's story of the original SM games is stellar.

Man so much negativity for the switch games before we even have a new for the games, makes me feel bad for buying the switch before even knowing if it'd have a Pokemon game xD. Will say that the da/Gameboy era is my favorite era of Pokemon but that's not to say the 3ds era was so horrible that it warrents distrust for future games

You really shouldn't feel too bad about buying a Switch even if the Pokemon game turns out to be bad. There's so many other good games on the Switch that I'd be shocked if you can't find something else that you like on it.

That comes with the switch if those games fail to bring good story, and fun gameplay it might be over for game freak with older fans. But gamefreak will never lose Pokemon because there will always be a new generation of kids to buy these games. Maybe our time has just long passed us by. We're no longer the audience they're aiming for

Well they've always aimed the game at children but I don't think these are issues that only adults care about. The problem seems to be more that Game Freak doesn't understand the difference in preferences between mobile gamers and handheld/console gamers. They're looking at how successful mobile is and thinking every game should be like it to be successful. It doesn't really work that way. There are likely kids that are buying Switches, but those kids probably expect to be wowed similarly to how we do even if they can't fully articulate how and why. They're probably thinking something along the lines of "Wow, BotW looks so big and cool, I want to see a game like it" and would experience similar disappointment when Pokemon doesn't compare to that themselves. It's simple enough a concept that a kid could probably feel the same way. So even if Game Freak does ignore older fans I don't think kids on the Switch will be much kinder to them. The kind of audience that would appreciate the direction Game Freak has gone lately exists more on mobile, not on dedicated gaming devices like 3DS or Switch.

Between ORAS and USUM because of the story and updated post-game, plus I like both Megas and Z-moves. It would be nice if GF could add DLC update for Switch in Gen VIII instead making the entire game over, but updates and changes, that why I would prefer games like Emerald, Platinum, B2W2, USUM, and remakes for the story and post-game.

ORAS, no doubt. USUM actually kinda pissed me off, why would I want to revisit the same region, TWICE, after already visiting it, TWICE? And not only that, they didn't even pull the whole BW2 sequel thing, it was literally a third version, but two of them.

Maybe I'm biased because Ruby was my first game and Emerald was my all-time favorite game before Omega Ruby came out, but ORAS spoke to me on different levels thanks to nostalgia. I thoroughly enjoyed all the paired versions released, but ORAS felt the most familiar.

Well they've always aimed the game at children but I don't think these are issues that only adults care about. The problem seems to be more that Game Freak doesn't understand the difference in preferences between mobile gamers and handheld/console gamers.
yes, little Cindy Lou Who's first game is immediately discarded: "linear trash game." the problem seems more to be that a small minority on the internet think they know what's best for the series without realizing that they maybe perhaps have simply outgrew the series. Nintendo's demo has pretty much always been family-friendly casual gaming; i'm not sure why people are expecting Pokemon to diverge from this.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom