• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Best Main Pokemon Game of the 3DS Era?

Best Main Pokemon Game of the 3DS Era?

• X and Y

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Sun and Moon

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • All of them suck

Votes: 10 10.5%

• Total voters
All. Of. Them. Suck. So my opinion hasn't changed. That said, my ranking of how much they suck, has changed a little:

USUM > XY >>>> ORAS > SM

The thing is, from my perspective, ORAS and SM are just pointless games.

Why play ORAS, when Emerald is so much better in every way? Even visually, imo. And why play SM, when it literally feels like a beta version of USUM?

At least there is a reason to play the other two games. USUM is clearly the BEST Alola experience. And XY is the ONLY Kalos experience.

So at least I have a reason to play them.

Last edited:
And why play SM, when it literally feels like a beta version of USUM?
Because most people didn't wait for USUM or even necessarily expect them. And for people who care about the story, SM win out. Either way, the differences aren't that big.

If you just compare features and forget about what the games added or took out, then ORAS are probably the winners. But surely the Pokemon designs are a big factor for most people.

Because most people didn't wait for USUM or even necessarily expect them.
I am comparing the games from the neutral perspective of a person who hasn't played SM or USUM. A person who can only afford buying one of them, and has to choose.
And for people who care about the story, SM win out
I agree.
If you just compare features and forget about what the games added or took out, then ORAS are probably the winners. But surely the Pokemon designs are a big factor for most people.
I agree, but as an Emerald fan, I have too much disappointment accumulated towards ORAS.

Last edited:
How come? I think I am being neutral when I say ORAS isn't the best Hoenn game.

I do agree though, that if I was analysing the four 3DS games in a vacuum, I would probably say ORAS is the best game (mainly because of Super Secret Bases).

But analysing the games in context, Emerald just makes ORAS look bad, imo.

Edit: I guess we have slightly different definitions of "neutral", then... ¯\(ツ)

Last edited:
I do have to say Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

While ORAS had its charm In explaIning some universe theories, USUM is really the one that expands them further. Plus, there are more new Pokémon than even SM, in spite of only having Double/Multi Battles at max.

The regular SM looks more like a rushed product, while USUM fixed it and added more new stuff for both story and competitive players.

Voted for ORAS I might be in the minority but I have still loved each and every mainline series on the handhelds, despite the reduction in over all quality.

I love Megas and Alolan forms but the reason for not picking X and Y or Sun and Moon was the layout of the games. I hated X and Y’s map design and felt Sun and Moon held my hand too much.

Also Mudkip is my favourite starter so easy choice.

I do have to say Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

While ORAS had its charm In explaIning some universe theories, USUM is really the one that expands them further. Plus, there are more new Pokémon than even SM, in spite of only having Double/Multi Battles at max.

The regular SM looks more like a rushed product, while USUM fixed it and added more new stuff for both story and competitive players.

I honestly preferred back when we just had smaller hints of life at space and other dimensions with Clefairy's line, Solrock and Lunatone, Starmie, Deoxys, etc, instead of having something that doesn't include Arceus all Mighty and which we won't see it again. I could live without Ultra Beasts.

__

The best games were ASOR and even that was a remake! It's pretty bad when the results show that a remake of two games that had already an improved version is getting more votes that 6 new games!!

I honestly preferred back when we just had smaller hints of life at space and other dimensions with Clefairy's line, Solrock and Lunatone, Starmie, Deoxys, etc, instead of having something that doesn't include Arceus all Mighty and which we won't see it again. I could live without Ultra Beasts.

__

The best games were ASOR and even that was a remake! It's pretty bad when the results show that a remake of two games that had already an improved version is getting more votes that 6 new games!!

I don’t like the whole time travel and wormhole stuff but the game as been SCI-FI since Gen I. Mew and MewTwo etc...

I guess as time went on the subtly was lost. GameFreak think kids have losf about 40 IQ points in the last 20 years.

I guess as time went on the subtly was lost. GameFreak think kids have losf about 40 IQ points in the last 20 years.

I'd say they started banging harder on the multiverse stuff simply because it allowed for new stories and unique Pokémon designs. It's just exploring a new creative avenue - I don't think it has anything to do with subtlety or the audience's intelligence. (Although, hypothetically, one could just as easily posit the reverse and say that maybe Game Freak feel that the audience these days are more open to engaging with more controversial ideas within the series. Not that "a strip of flavor text here or there" is really what I'd call meaningful subtlety, anyway.)

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom