• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Best Moth/Butterfly Pokémon

Phosphene

Formerly SpinyShell
Reaction score

180px-012Butterfree.png
600px-049Venomoth.png
600px-267Beautifly.png
600px-269Dustox.png
600px-414Mothim.png
600px-637Volcarona.png
600px-666Vivillon.png
873Frosmoth.png

Several lepidopterans (moths and butterflies) have been introduced over the past eight generations. Which one do you think is the best?​

Last edited:
Due to the fact that I am not a big fan of Generation 8, my choice is Butterfree.

Hmm, for the butterflies, I’d have to say Vivillion (although honestly I’m quite fond of Beautifly and have been growing an appreciation for Butterfree). While I initially didn’t like how digitized it looked, as time has gone on I’ve grown to really like it and I find all the different patterns and colors really creative. I think my favorite pattern would be the Marine, closely followed by the Meadow, the Savannah, the Monsoon, the Garden, and the Polar. I also hold a soft spot for the Modern since that’s the one I had in Pokémon Y.

As for the moths... I’d have to say Dustox due to Team Rocket bias and my baby in AlphaSapphire. It has a good move pool, I like it’s evolutionary line, and I loved Jessie’s in the anime. My second favorite would be Frosmoth (it’s such an elegant creature) and my third would by Volcarona.

As for favorite out of them all... I’d say Vivillion because of all the different patterns but it’s only slightly above Dustox. The order goes Vivillion, Dustox, Frosmoth, Beautifly, Volcarona, Butterfree,... Venomoth...Mothim.

Volcarona. Sure, raising it from a Larvesta is a pain, but it is worth it. I also like Vivillon and Venomoth.

I cast my vote for Mothim. There's just something about him that I really like design-wise. His cry is pretty neat too.
mothim.gif

Here's my rankings for them all:
  1. Mothim
  2. Volcarona
  3. Dustox
  4. Frosmoth
  5. Venomoth
  6. Butterfree
  7. Vivillon
  8. Beautifly

Butterfree, Beautifly and Vivillion are normal butterflies with a vague Fairy-like look. Not bad and the first two are really nostalgic to me, but not the kind of Pokemon I love.
Venomoth isn't bad but it could have looked better. Its design doesn't show well its Poison subtype and its Psychic powers and it's very simple, even for Gen I standards.
I quite like Dustox, because of its unique shape and cool eyes.
I like Mothim's colors and different wing design, he's probably the only redeemable mon of his family.
Volcarona is cool, I like that they went with a more naturalistic yet at the same time alien-like approach.
But my vote goes to Frosmoth, which along with Snom stole my heart with its fluffiness and ice powers.

Volcarona. The typing is awesome, the Sun motif is interesting, the shiny coloration is beautiful, and its signature move Fiery Dance is the best.

Vivillion is the runner up for the different wing patterns according to location.

Frosmoth simply because I think it has a pretty design.

My ranking for them:
1. Frosmoth
2. Butterfree
3. Vivillon
4. Volcarona
5. Beautifly
6. Mothim
7. Venomoth
8. Dustox

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom