• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Movie Animation

ehh123

Reaction score
Suppose you were making a AMV of the best animation of the Pokemon movies (including the shorts). What would you add? It doesn't even have to be limited to battles.

I decided to separate TV and Movies since the quality is very different.

In terms of movement and fluidity I'd say Revelation Lugia. There is a lot of really nice and dynamic movement in it, both of people and Pokemon. Also, it had the largest budget out of all the movies if I'm not mistaken.

movsecond12.jpg
10853586_gal.jpg

However in terms of well composed shots and beautiful colour schemes definitely Mewtwo Strikes Back. The animation itself is more rigid and choppy than in later movies, but the first movie's colours and shots really help create the feeling of the whole film.

013.jpe
010.jpe
121.jpe
441.jpe
0.jpg

Sorry I couldn't find better quality pictures

It actually reminds me of Don Bluth's 1980s animation, the way he used light and colours.

Also, it has the least CGI out of the movies. In the Japanese original theatrical version, there was NO CGI. I'm very biased against CGI in 2D animated movies, but the way it's been used in the Pokemon movies from after Spell of the Unknown Tower is in my opinion very dire.

I liked the animation in the Lucario movie because it had nice colours and didn't use much CGI. However my least favourite movie for animation so far is Zorua Master of Illusions. Even though CGI isn't used extensively, it was completely unexceptional, badly drawn in spots, and didn't hold any depth or feeling IMO.

Last edited:
For me, animation the battle between Ash and Lisa in the Entei movie is a must. It looked so... fun...

For me, animation the battle between Ash and Lisa in the Entei movie is a must. It looked so... fun...
Not to mention the little we saw of Takeshi and Mi's battle, or even Satoshi's first battle within that movie. If only all the physical battles looked as good as that in the actual show...

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom