• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Pokemon Movie(s)?

What are the best Pokémon movies? (choose 3)

• Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arceus and the Jewel of Life

• Black—Victini and Reshiram

• White—Victini and Zekrom

• Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice

• Genesect and the Legend Awakened

• Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction

• Hoopa and the Clash of Ages

• Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution

• Total voters
Reaction score
In your eyes, what's the best movie(s)? Either due to it's plot, whatever ig?

Personally I think Originals (espically 4ever and Heroes) were the best, mostly due to ageing, and I think the trailers are really cool

EDIT: I didnt add the poll lmao

Last edited:
It's quite hard to choose favorites, but I'll try to narrow it down between a few.

I loved the Originals as a kid, always rewatching them whenever I could. I think my favorite though was Pokemon 4ever. I absolutely loved both Suicune and Celebi when I was little, and the two actually remain my favorite legendary and mythical. I liked the friendship between Ash and the Young Samuel Oak.

Another one I loved from the moment I first saw it was Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. I was not, and still am not the biggest fa of Lucario in general, but I was really fascinated with this Lucario, being able to use aura the way it did. The Time Flower sequences were fascinating to me, and anything that talked about Pokemon history always gets an A+ in my book.

Pokemon: The Power of Us is a more recent film, but I find it absolutely amazing. All the characters get so much development, well besides ASh, but that doesn't bother me all that much. They all have their own unique personalities, and I loved following them through the film and seeing them cross paths. I really loved the idea of using unique new characters, instead of relying on past or current companions. (I know I Choose You did that, and I certainly liked that movie, but I actually watched it after The Power of Us).

I would say these are probably the Top 3.

Haven't watched any of the new ones in the new timeline or Detective Pikachu, but Lucario and the Mystery of Mew has always stuck out to me. It feels like it has more "meat" (i can't find a better word) than most pokemon movies. I also enjoyed the Darkrai movie.

Nothing will top Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
I like most the movies before BW so... it's hard to pick a favorite aside from that. After DP ended, I only really enjoyed Volcanion and Hoopa's movies.

My favourite is Entei: Spell of the Unown (hmm, I wonder if that's what inspired my avatar :unsure:) I used to watch it over and over on VHS back in the day (same goes for 4Ever, but I don't like that one as much as I used to). It has an interesting story, some great visuals, an emotional beat to it and it's action-packed

This is pretty hard, a lot of the movies I like I feel roughly the same about, but there are certainly a few that stand out. Here is my attempt at some sort of top five:

1. Destiny Deoxys
  2. Giratina and the Sky Warrior
  3. Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel
  4. Victini movie (I can't even say for sure if I've seen both, I have seen the movie at least 3 times, but by the time I watch it again I forget which one I've seen, my dvd box has both in it)
  5. Zoroark Master of Illusions

The top two I'm fairly sure are my 2 favorites. Many of the rest are fairly close. I can say that I like literally all of the movies quite a bit outside of Genesect, Kyreum, and Hoopa movies aren't that good (but still not that bad), and I really dislike I choose you. And I noticed for the rest that I picked a lot of newer ones, well not coincidentally I have seen those more recently (although I have seen all of them within the last 4 years since I did a full re watch 2016-2018), so I could easily change my mind on 3-5. I also just watched Detective Pikachu last week and was pleasantly surprised, it was pretty good, but still probably not top 10 for me.

Pokémon the Movie 2000: The Power of One
Pokémon 3 The Movie: Entei - Spell of the Unknown
Pokémon: Jirachi Wish Maker
Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai
Pokémon: Giratina and the Sky Warrior
Pokémon the Movie: Black - Victini and Reshiram
/White - Vicitini and Zekrom
Pokémon the Movie:
I Choose You
Pokémon the Movie: The Power of Us

Top 5 in order of preference:
The Power of Us - balances its characters well and Zeraora serves something of a purpose instead of existing just because, the dub is also particularly good by modern dub standards with Sarah Natochenny putting in her best showing as Ash since probably the Victini movies, the best post 4Kids dub prior to this one
Spell of the Unown - Antagonist you can empathize with and Ash has an actual reason to be caught up in it this time
Pokémon Heroes - Saw it some time ago and can't remember exactly why I liked it so much but I remember I did
Zoroark: Master of Illusions - Compelling plot, detestable villain, only complaint was once they had established that the Time Flowers operated under the Novikov self-consistency principle (depicted future events will occur as depicted regardless of efforts to prevent them) they essentially spoiled the ending to some degree, I'd have to watch it again to remind myself how spoilery the visions were. That and that Peg was pretty clearly shoehorned into the script to give Shoko Nakagawa a role in what felt like the result of somebody reading through a finished script 6 weeks before premier, realizing they hadn't set a role for her and quickly throwing one together and hoping it stuck.
Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel - Much for the same reasons as above, compelling story with a truly detestable villain. This one is lower because Alva didn't do as good a job of getting what he had coming to him compared to Kodai

1. Mewtwo Strikes Back (Japanese version)

The movie does a great job advertising the legendary Pokémon while also giving the human characters focus. The Japanese version with the Birth of Mewtwo is very sad especially since Mewtwo's and Fuji's backstories are expanded upon in the CD drama. It sucks that it doesn't seem to be canon anymore since the remake excluded these scenes even in the Japanese release.

I wish Musashi would have been more relevant since Miyamoto's plot revolves so much around Mew. Kind of strange that we never found out what happened to her.

I also wish Ai would have been more relevant even if she might be dead. It's a shame that she only gets a vague reference in The Return of Mewtwo when Mewtwo watches the sunset.

2. Emperor of The Crystal Tower: Entei

This movie also has very good human drama while still advertising the new Pokémon. Molly is a very sad character but I don't like how her parents magically comes back to life at the end. It makes the movie a little bit unrealistic since it's was otherwise a good portrayal of grief (denial, anger, depression). Molly goes through the various stages of grief but instead of overcoming it and moving on, the situation magically resolves itself.

Satoshi also has a good motivation to fight Molly. Hanako is actually a great character after reading about her backstory in Shudo's light novel so I'm glad she got some actual focus.

I also like how Kasumi, Takeshi and Charizard helped out. Even if they usually get demoted to background characters this movie showed that they were willing to put themselves in danger for Satoshi's sake.

3. Mew and the Aura Hero: Lucario

I like how it manages to give Lucario an actual character arc and how it doesn't hyper-focus on legendary Pokémon. The scene where Lucario fades away is kind of sad since he was somewhat of a well-rounded character if you compare with Latios. There are also some interesting themes such as betrayal and trust.

I also liked the scene when the characters get swallowed by the goo and think they are going to die so they release their Pokémon in a desperate attempt to save them. Normally I don't like all these fake death scenes in Pokémon movies but this one was actually great because it showed how much they truly cared about their Pokémon.

Last edited:
Three is too few a number for me to choose. I like most of the movies, it would be easier to choose the worst ones: Kyurem, Genesect and Mewtwo Evolution.

Top 5:
  1. Power of Us
  2. Spell of the Unown
  3. Celebi and The Voice of the Forest
  4. Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
  5. Rise of Darkrai

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom