• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Pokemon series? Least favourite?

Which series of Pokemon anime is to best overall

• Total voters
Best:
Draw between season 1, season 9, season 10.

Least liked: beginning of Johto during season 3, season 4 and unfortunately season 8 (which is a bit unfortunate but I have trouble sitting through them since I get bored).

Everything else falls in the inbetween. Season 11 I can't have good judgement since I need to watch the stuff multiple times to get a good idea however I have half of it on DVD just need to wait till Australia releases the second half before I can get better judgement since I saw them once only and strangely I think I enjoy episodes more on DVD than TV since that's what happened with season 10.=/

Though for the 1st half of season 11 it seems to have high potential of landing in my top favourites aswell since I watched the entire first half without getting bored and enjoyed them alot.

Best pokemon series:Original series(Kanto,Orange and Johto).This is when everything started with original trio who made this show popular in first place.Ash,Misty and Brock had the best chemistry in my opinion providing nice dynamics and entertaining moments.Not to mention my favorite character Misty was part of it,who with her entertaining personality and tomboyish attitude provided comedy making interaction between characters better for first 5 seasons and onwards after departure in specials.Her pokemon were cool too(like Psyduck) and while she didnt battled as much as other 2 girls she still had her moments.
Sad thing is that she was replaced at end of this series,with so much unused potential left unexplored and story being unfinished(like her goal) which was a mistake,show loosing somekind of charm being present before.
Anyway back on the OS,one of the oher things i liked about them is having unique plots(like St.Anne arc,gym leaders from Orange Islands which were different standing out from the rest of them in other regions)with formula of pokemon anime not being focused on games to same degree like its case now.Johto provided some nice arcs like Whirl Cup.Lugia etc having one of best pokemon league tournaments in history of this show.
Sure some of things werent handled good back than,with said series having imperfections but qualities outweights them.

When it comes to Hoenn and Sinnoh,both of this regions are good but arent my favorite.
Hoenn as saga was ok,introducing some new characters(like May) and rivals.Whole contest arc and league tournament were done fairly good,though they could have be better.One of biggest objections is Ash not really having a rival and villains arc not being done properly.Like Team Magma and Aqua which was rather dissapointing.Another thing which i didnt liked was of course cast replacing being reckless and unecessary move from writers,degrading this show a little for me.

Sinnoh has been doing good so far,handling many things better.We get to receive decent rival for Ash(like Paul),Gary returned,battles were ok,villains were great,even Broick got to do more compared to Hoenn etc.Dawn is fine,it just happens that too girly type of characters i dont prefer,and her pokemon team is little undeveloped.

Least favorite:Kanto Battle Frontier.It was big dissapointment for me,having it feel like it wasnt placed in Kanto at al.Seriously aside from name,you could tell group wasnt travelling through Kanto at all.We could have Misty back which would be nice and refreshing thing(reasons exist to continue development and advancing her dream which isnt possible to ahieve with said position being one of them),there could have been more references to past characters and visit of older places(while were at it even some gyms,and not only Pewter,but unfortunately none of these things happened.Perhaps next Battle Frontier will be little better regarding this than last one.

Last edited:
Best Pokémon Series: The Original Series (Kanto,Johto)
I just loved everything in it... just so awesome. And... Charizard XD

Least Favourite: Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
I just could never click in to it... But its not over yet so who knows.

Hoenn is in between. It had its ups and downs...

sinnoh I found to be the best where as I struggled to get into xy in terms of I found even bw for it's flaws had some great moments still in xy their felt far less great moments

Best: Original Series

The first few seasons of the show had so much personality. The jokes were funny and the dialogue wasn't stale or repetitive. It was fun to watch Ash grow from a beginning trainer who knew next to nothing and was impatient and rash to one who had become considerably stronger and smarter, and even a bit more patient. The group(s) had the best dynamic and most varied personalities, as did the Pokémon.

Least Favorite: XY

I lost interest about halfway through. Picked up again during XYZ but mostly watched out of obligation. Dialogue was terribly stale, Ash was at his most boring, too many missed opportunities for the companions, really not very funny or entertaining for me. I wanted to love this series, but it just didn't work out.

This is one old thread.

Best: Original Series, Kanto and Orange Islands
Though XY could have took this spot, I feel like, since it was Ash's debut arc, it was a bit more experimental than the other series, and they did it wonderfully, therefore edging out XY.

Least: Unova
This was the arc where I nearly stopped watching the anime. Ash pretty much lost all he had during the Sinnoh arc, heck even placing in the Top 8, even after placing in Top 4 in Sinnoh. Iris was a douche to Ash, being, in my opinion, less supportive than Ash. It was as if Ash had amnesia and went through his journey again. Never have I hated an arc more than Unova.
Runner up is really hard, as I liked all other seasons. I wanted to day Johto, but that's technically part of the Original Series. So... maybe the Johto part of the Original Series?

XY&Z is the best series, and then you have DP, for the worst, I'll tell BW even if there was some cool moment, and also the Johto sage... It was boring for me...

My favorite series to date by far is XY&Z. I loved all of XY but XY&Z was where they seriously stepped up their game. The animation, the story, the character designs, the music, every aspect of this part of the show excelled. In fact there were times where they just straight-up remade older episodes or retold events and it was a big imrovement. I actually got genuinely choked up during some of the later episodes. In the two decades this show has been on that NEVER happened to me before. Another impressive aspect was the fact that the show obviously favored Greninja but I never felt as though they were disregarding everyone else. So good on them for knocking out of the park with this series!

As for my least favorite, I use to think Johto was disappointing but the more I think about Advance Generations the more I realize that almost nothing about it stood out to me aside from Satoshi changing his outfit and Kasumi not being there. At least Johto had a great ending and one of the best 6 on 6 battles of the series to date. Also Emperor of the Crystal Tower might just be the best of all of the movies. I'll always love the Lucario movie but other than that nothing about Advanced Generations really connected with me.

Last edited:
Well, that's a tie on top, a tie between DP and XY(&Z) although DP had a better rival. Alain was awesome but he only met Ash towards the end while a big part of DPs plot revolved around his Rivalry with Paul (Shinji) and the battles seemed a bit better and more creative due his contest influences through Dawn (Hikari). On the other hand, XY(&Z) was better with the chemism between Ash and Serena. Argh, I just can't decide. Remains a tie.

Worst series is easily BW (most probably understand my reasoning). The only good parts I found on it were Dawns cameo and TR being competent and not in fucking almost every episode and annoying as hell. Johto wasn't all that exciting to me (Kanto has a *new brand* bonus though looking back I see that it had it's flaws.) as well.

Not sure where SM will end because I have some quarrels with it but it remains entertaining enough for now.

My favorite series to date by far is XY&Z. I loved all of XY but XY&Z was where they seriously stepped up their game. The animation, the story, the character designs, the music, every aspect of this part of the show excelled. In fact there were times where they just straight-up remade older episodes or retold events from previous episodes. I actually got genuinely choked up during some of the later episodes. In the two decades this show has been on that NEVER happened to me before. Another impressive aspect was the fact that the show obviously favored Greninja but I never felt as though they were disregarding everyone else. So good on them for knocking out of the park with this series!

As for my least favorite, I use to think Johto was disappointing but the more I think about Advance Generations the more I realize that almost nothing about it stood out to me aside from Satoshi changing his outfit and Kasumi not being there. At least Johto had a great ending and one of the best 6 on 6 battles of the series to date. Also Emperor of the Crystal Tower might just be the best of all of the movies. I'll always love the Lucario movie but other than that nothing about Advanced Generations really connected with me.

AG did do some new things, May was the first companion to really get a lot of focus and we saw the start of Ash being a mentor/inspirational figure to others.

The best series is Kanto, and my personal least favorite is BF. Dubbing aside, pokemon fan 132 said it best here:

Least favorite:Kanto Battle Frontier.It was big dissapointment for me,having it feel like it wasnt placed in Kanto at al.Seriously aside from name,you could tell group wasnt travelling through Kanto at all.We could have Misty back which would be nice and refreshing thing(reasons exist to continue development and advancing her dream which isnt possible to ahieve with said position being one of them),there could have been more references to past characters and visit of older places(while were at it even some gyms,and not only Pewter,but unfortunately none of these things happened.Perhaps next Battle Frontier will be little better regarding this than last one.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom