• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Series for Team Rocket?

What series has the TRio at their best?

• Original series

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Ruby & Sapphire

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Diamond and Pearl

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Black & White

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • XY

• Sun & Moon

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Journeys

• Total voters
I'm going with Sun & Moon. They had great Pokemon that they got to form great bonds with (even if Mimikyu's hatred for Pikachu caused Jessie some obedience problems sometimes), and they were surprisingly strong and almost beat Ash in Mareanie's debut episode. They got different jobs like the Malasada food truck and being announcers for the Battle Royal, it was a good way to show them being in episodes without needing to try to steal Pikachu. Meowth looking out for Litten when Stoutland passed was very nice and I liked how happy he was for him seeing he had evolved into a Torracat. SM073 seemed to be one of their best episodes by far as they actually earned a Z-Power Ring and did Black Hole Eclipse for the first time.
800px-SM073_50.png
Also they got a Mimikium Z and later mastered Let's Snuggle Forever, and in all honesty even as someone who would under normal circumstances be rooting for Ash during his trials, I have to be honest in saying that if Pikachu not learned Electroweb at that moment the team would've won that battle, and rightfully so but whatever...still awesome that they were able to pull of the Z-move. They were also a highlight for me in slice of life episodes such as the baseball one and the play episode, the latter of which felt like a successor to Air Time. And finally there's Bewear and Stufful who I ended up loving onscreen, I know it can get annoying seeing Bewear swipe up the team, but at least SM096 showed why she does it since she lost her Stufful cub so I can understand being over protective to an extent. Also she straight up treated them like her own, feeding them, protecting them, she straight up stomped Pheromosa. She was probably far warmer than James' own mother, I can say that much.

A lot of this stuff combined just made SM in my opinion the perfect series for them and I think Journeys can learn a lot from it.

Last edited:
My finger hovered so long over DP, but in the end I had to click SM. @TheGoldenDuck has outlined why pretty much perfectly.

The two series actually share a very similar role in my eyes. The TRio had felt a little fragmented in the respective previous series, but both DP and SM really tightened and highlighted their intra-team dynamics. This was more dramatic in DP because there was so much squabbling in AG, and some very obvious progressions from that in DP (most obviously Kojiro and Nyasu going from sceptical to supportive of Musashi's contest career). It's less obvious between XY and SM, except that as a TRio-holic I can tell you that it felt like they barely interacted with each other in XY, whereas there was a lot more warmth and relatable friendship in SM.

And of course, their relationships with the important Pokemon in their lives were also key in both series. DP had more of Musashi and Kojiro (willingly) sharing Pokemon and the whole group feeling like a family, the most of any series till SM. SM took this and flew with it, with Kiterumama really taking a starring role. My only regret is that they didn't all get more screentime in the series to shine.

I wanna go back to Alola :cry:

Sun and Moon because it portrays Team Rocket in quite a different way I wasn't expecting and even made them all the more better for it.

It's almost a tie between Pokemon DP and Sun and Moon.

I will give it to DP only because it was the series that made me a Rocket fan. Before DP I saw Team Rocket as a a nuisance. DP made me realize how awesome they were.

Sun and Moon Rockets are awesome but DP Rockets have a special place in my hearth.

If I had to put a tier.

Sinnoh Rockets (Super Fun Rockets) - Alola Rockets (Passionate Rockets) - Kanto Rockets (Cool Rockets) - Hoenn Rockets (Kinda fun Rockets) -Kalos Rockets (Trying to be like before Rockets)- Johto Rockets (Evil as f*** Rockets) - Unova Rockets (Dark Rockets) - Decolora Rockets (Void Rockets) - Journeys Rockets ( Ghost Rockets)

I'm going to go with DP. Jessie was actually competent at contests on her own skill level, even getting to the Grand Festival battle stages and James showed surprising contest prowess while crossdressing too. There's really good character episodes for them, like when Jessie lets Dustox go and having to smash its pokeball to go through with allowing it to depart, or when the trio split up but realise they like being a team even though they always bicker. James's Cacnea not only got a touching send-off, but it was built up over the episode and it even gets mentioned later, with James being so proud. Their Sinnoh League subplot was very good for a Team Rocket Pokemon League appearance, which focused on their salesmanship.

Last edited:
Gotta go with SM.

I just absolutely adored how they were portrayed in Alola. They got a lot of screentime that didn't revolve around trying to steal Pikachu, and it was wildly entertaining. It was so much fun to see them bond with their own Pokémon, work together to get a Z Crystal, run their malasada truck...all things where we actually got to see their individual personalities and not just them as a villainous entity. Jessie, James, and Meowth are such unique and interesting characters, which becomes a lot more apparent when the writers take the time to focus on them and write them in a variety of different situations.

Before SM, whenever there was a TR focused episode on the docket, I was never super excited. But once SM rolled around, the TR focused episodes were among the best, and I'd get genuinely excited when one was announced. And honestly, the dropoff from how great they were in SM has been so much worse than I could've ever imagined it.

Diamond & Pearl for me.

I feel like Team Rocket was at their best in this region for several reasons:
  • First and foremost, the Contest career of Jessie! The writers took what she did on various half-hearted whims in the previous region and actually allowed her to be a competent Pokémon Coordinator, with interesting Appeals and combinations that highlighted the strengths or uniqueness of her Pokémon. Such an endeavor was even more notable because in addition to her obligated villainy, she shared a goal with the saga's co-main protagonist. They even gave her episodes where she won Contests not being currently visited by Dawn - as in Jessie defeated dozens of other participating Coordinators with actual skill. If I recall, there was not any cheating on her part during the Sinnoh Contests either (unlike several hijinks in Hoenn & Kanto). Her making it all the way to the Grand Festival on largely her own merits (yes, there was that time James filled in for her when she was ill and when Salvia bequeathed her that last Ribbon for free) was just so charming and endearing to witness-I genuinely would root for her whenever she appeared on the screen. She had a similar bout in Kalos with the TriPokalon, but it wasn't the same. Seeing Jessie shine here with James and Meowth's unwavering support is one of the highlights of the Pokémon anime for me.
    • I wish she didn't quit the profession altogether at the end. Go, Jessie, go!
  • Team Rocket's Pokémon. Sinnoh is one of the periods where the TRio had more than just one Pokémon to their name each and I enjoyed that they had a loyal selection to interact with; Wobbuffet, Seviper, Dustox/Yanmega for Jessie, and Mime Jr. & Cacnea/Carnivine for James. It also was a time where they got to pull an Ash by being able to utilize inter-regional parties, with them being able to enjoy a combination of Hoenn-native and Sinnoh-native Pokémon; usually such an aspect is reserved for our main character. Their party also experienced quite the emotional gauntlet, with a release, a lending, an evolution, and a reuniting. But let's talk about that evolution for a second-they gave Jessie a Yanmega, one of the new Sinnoh cross-evolutions that are quite powerful in their own right. I still remember watching that episode and being stunned by how such a Pokémon was now a part of Jessie's lineup; even better, the non-feminine looking Yanmega was actually a female, adding a healthy dose of representation to the entire series. As much as I love Mimikyu, I feel that the DP team was one of TR's best party iterations. Did I mention we got to see James routinely, affectionately attacked by not one, but two of his Pokémon?
    • And speaking of James, Carnivine desperately learning Vine Whip to save its Trainer from certain death has always been such a grand Team Rocket moment for me.
  • Their interactions with cast and COTD alike. One of my favorite TRio interactions was that with Gardenia-her refusal to believe in TR's villainy due to James' Grass-types, and her subsequent training of Cacnea, was some of the most enjoyable character interactions I've seen in the series. But it isn't just that-there were enjoyable moments all around, from when Jessie persuaded Ash to let her borrow one of his Pokémon to the TRio's (apparently) final clash with Boff & Cassidy and from there, when James amusingly impersonated Professor Oak. Then, there were memorable TR episodes such as Where No Togepi Has Gone Before! (they flew to freaking space!), Dressed for Jess Success! (James, of all people, proved very efficient in a Contest Battle, where he trounced Dawn- the main Contest star!), The Treasure Is All Mine! (gosh I love Jessebelle), and Gymbaliar! (I find the fact they extensively used Croagunk before Brock caught it interesting). And there was also the time Meowth was fueled with the power of love, the Fury Swipes of Love I might add, defeating Dawn's Togekiss and Ash's Infernape in battle. And this is all nothing to say of their smaller, yet plentiful, moments in the series.
    • There was such a nice mix of amicableness and evilness in this saga, which I thought was refreshing. They didn't try to steal Pikachu & pals in every episode, yet they weren't entirely comedic relief in non-twerp schemes too often either. Again, this notion was introduced during the Hoenn/Kanto 2.0 eras, but I feel it was honed here. I feel that is the best kind of Team Rocket.
    • They also battled Ash & his friends quite a healthy amount.
    • Their private and surprising support for Chimchar was something I liked seeing.
    • Their own inter-team friendship and care for one another was very positively portrayed during this saga.
  • This scene. And in general, the dubbed dialogue with all of their corny jokes or colloquialisms was at its best here (although I did switch to primarily watching the Japanese version halfway through).
  • I also really like their motto theme from this region, both the music and their oral part.

Despite how bad Black and White was for the most part, I preferred Team Rocket in this series, mainly because they were more competent and determined, Giovanni featured a bit more

Journeys. They got a swinging pad and an arsenal of powerful Pokemon at their disposal. Much better then any previous series

Journeys. They got a swinging pad and an arsenal of powerful Pokemon at their disposal. Much better then any previous series
ii.gif

What is the point of powerful Pokémon if you still got your ass kicked?

At least Carnivine and Seviper and the others had personality and I cared for them, even for Woobat and Yamask.

Having strong Pokémon is not the point. If how you breed them and how you care for them and seeing them get stronger.

With the gatcha you delete any chance of that happening with Team Rocket? The Ditto episode is weak for that reason.

This series forgot how to develop Pokémon. What about Cubone? Why I should care for his capture if he is never going to appear again.?

Outragoeus.

Go watch Pokémon DP please and you will realize how is the True Team Rocket.

View attachment 137810

What is the point of powerful Pokémon if you still got your ass kicked?

At least Carnivine and Seviper and the others had personality and I cared for them, even for Woobat and Yamask.

Having strong Pokémon is not the point. If how you breed them and how you care for them and seeing them get stronger.

With the gatcha you delete any chance of that happening with Team Rocket? The Ditto episode is weak for that reason.

This series forgot how to develop Pokémon. What about Cubone? Why I should care for his capture if he is never going to appear again.?

Outragoeus.

Go watch Pokémon DP please and you will realize how is the True Team Rocket.
I've watched all of DP and still never cared for any of their Pokemon. As I told you in a previous thread I'm indifferent to their previous Pokemon with the exception of the original Arbok and Weezing. And even if the Gatcha Pokemon lose I still love the variety and surprise that comes with it.

I've watched all of DP and still never cared for any of their Pokemon. As I told you in a previous thread I'm indifferent to their previous Pokemon with the exception of the original Arbok and Weezing. And even if the Gatcha Pokemon lose I still love the variety and surprise that comes with it.
No offense, but Arbok and Weezing may be some of Jessie and James's blandest Pokémon. Aside from their Unova ones. I don't hate Journeys myself, but I wouldn't personally call it the trio's best outing.

I do actually really like their presence in Journeys. They’ve had some great episodes so far that we’re focused on them. The Ditto one is probably one of my favorites in general.

Though, it definitely isn’t my favorite. I’d have to agree with the general consensus that DP is my favorite for them, just based their characters, accomplishments, and Pokémon at the time.

And would you tell me what is good on using rental Pokémon that you don't even know against a powerfull trainer? What is good for us fans to see a Pokémon that is not going to be seen again?

Is good only for Go so he can have more episodes for himself. Cause the writters overpushed him.

I do actually really like their presence in Journeys.

Talking about presence: 25/48 episodes and I'm sure that if you sum up all the minutes screen time they had in the Eternatus arc it reaches to less than 5 minutes out of 120.To be fair I would have wanted to be out of that saga.

Why is Team Rocket beeing denied of any development? Look at Alola, they got to the league and they even got their own Z-Crystal. This is such a downgrade.

Jessie James and Meowth do not deserve this. 25 Years and you get this? Bollocks.

Talking about presence: 25/48 episodes and I'm sure that if you sum up all the minutes screen time they had in the Eternatus arc it reaches to less than 5 minutes out of 120.To be fair I would have wanted to be out of that saga.
I was referring to the presence they do have as enjoyable. Whether they have enough is a different question.

I was referring to the presence they do have as enjoyable. Whether they have enough is a different question.

I kindly disagree. They appeared in episodes where they should not been. (Milotic, Aerodacty, Non Sinnoh coprotagonist epiosdes) and not appeared in episode where they should have been (Alola, The first episode, Pikachu is a spoiled brat episode).

This my opinion but I hate characters that do not develop. That's why in the begininig I hated Team Rocket, then Sinnoh changed my mind. I don't care if they are really funny (They are not in this season by the way). This is such a big problem that I do not get excited anymore when they are anounced to be in the next episode.

The next episode the Eating Contest one give me a little bit of hope since Morpeko is the closest thing that Team Rocket has as a Pokémon now.

I kindly disagree. They appeared in episodes where they should not been. (Milotic, Aerodacty, Non Sinnoh coprotagonist epiosdes) and not appeared in episode where they should have been (Alola, The first episode, Pikachu is a spoiled brat episode).
That’s fine, you’re welcome to disagree. I just personally have always had a soft spot for the TRio and there have been several episodes involving them in Journeys that appealed to me personally.

And would you tell me what is good on using rental Pokémon that you don't even know against a powerfull trainer? What is good for us fans to see a Pokémon that is not going to be seen again?

Is good only for Go so he can have more episodes for himself. Cause the writters overpushed him.

Why is Team Rocket beeing denied of any development? Look at Alola, they got to the league and they even got their own Z-Crystal. This is such a downgrade.

Jessie James and Meowth do not deserve this. 25 Years and you get this? Bollocks.
Like I said I like the variety of the Pokemon the Gatcha Machine provides. Even if they caught there own Pokemon again they would still job to Go and Ash so it makes no real difference to me

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom