• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Special/Adventures Chapter?

Best Adventures Chapter?

• Red Blue Green Chapter

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Yellow Chapter

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Gold Silver Crystal Chapter

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Ruby Sapphire Chapter

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Fire Red Leaf Green Chapter

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Emerald Chapter

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Diamond Pearl Chapter

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Platinum Chapter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heart Gold Soul Silver Chapter

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

NeoKING

空前絶後
Reaction score
What's the best chapter in your opinion? I say the GSC one and I'll elaborate as to why later.

I like R/S, FRLG, GSC, Yellow, and RGB the best out of all of them.

But probably GSC, it's the one I go back to read the most often.

Last edited:
I'd have to go with either GSC or RGB, I can't decide which one I like better.

The original GSC games didn't have much of a plot that made it different from the RBGY games. The manga fixed that issue. Lets start with the characters.

We have our protagonist, Gold. Gold's made of all kinds of awesome and isn't just a Red-clone. He's like the Joseph Joestar of Pokemon Adventures. His character is well-written, and his team is original and unorthodox, along with his battle style. Then there's Silver who's calm demeanor is reminiscent of Green's in the previous saga, but his methods are way different and sort of similar to Blue's. Not only that, but the GSC saga fleshed out a lot of characters from the RBGY saga. We got to learn more about Yellow, we see Lt. Surge doing his own venture, the Gym Leader tournament arc gave us good conflict and the whole thing with Mask of Ice was good too. I thought he was a very good villain for the series, especially during the times where it seemed that he was more of a magnificent bastard than Giovanni himself. I mean, look at the feats he pulled off: catching two Legendary(mascot) Pokemon with little effort; actually achieving his goal; resurrecting Team Rocket. Then there's the original characters that get more story even when the game did very little for them, such as Shum and Kart.

Second, I think this saga was the most clever of all. Creating an original plot loosely based on the games - Hidenori-sensei really pulled that off well. The first chapter(not counting Yellow) followed the game's story pretty well for a loose adaption. GSC seemed to be the only one that had it's own story going on, along with RSE.

Third, the art was pretty good too. You can tell MATO's drawing improved by the time this saga rolled around. Unfortunately, I can't say I like Satoshi-sensei's art from volume 10 to 15 because it seemed like he was just trying to copy MATO's style until the RS saga came around, then he created his own unique style.

So yeah, that's why I like the GSC arc and think it's the best one. The Yellow Chapter comes in a close second, however as it had some of the best battles in the entire series.

Last edited:
My favorite chapters are the Ruby & Sapphire and FireRed & LeafGreen chapters.

The reason for liking the Ruby & Sapphire chapter was the plot. I loved the Hoenn games and the plot was different than the first 3 chapters. It had deaths, though they were brought back to life. Also, in my opinion, this is where the manga starts to take a slightly dark tone with death and violence. Same goes with FireRed & LeafGreen with its ending leading to the Emerald chapter.

I love the RS arc the most, followed by GSC. RS had excellent character development (especially with Ruby) and GSC had a fantastic plot.

Ruby and Sapphire arc first followed by RGB arc then Y arc and GSC.
FR and LG are short and sweet though not a fan of the Emerald or DP and Platinum arcs. Not looked at HG/SS yet so no opinion.

In order:
-GSC (same reasons as NeoKING, actually)
-HGSS (because Gold and Silver are hot at 16, and I need no other reason!)
-FRLG (SIRD! And the small family story; I love family stories)
-RS (Ruby! ...and Mimi)
-RBG (Red was cool, Green was... fine, Blue was awesome, and Giovanni was evil and stylish, unlike his orange-clad anime counterpart)
-Yw (Yellow is cute, and Lance is horribly misguided)
-Em (Emerald has character development from "complete jerk" to "decent guy," and looks like Manta Oyamada from Shaman King, endearing me to death; the plot is otherwise boring)
-DP (boring)
-Pt (never read it, so it's at the bottom)

Last edited:
Very difficult question, as there hasn't been a chapter I didn't love, but I'd have to say the GSC chapter. The plot is fantastic, Pryce is an amazing villain (am I the only one who cried near the end of the story?), the Kanto/Johto gym leader battle tournament had me gripped and Gold, Silver and Crystal all got good focus. Plus, the old characters turned up too (Blue with the three legendary birds!!). Anyway, Neoking explains the brilliance of GSC much better than me.

special mentions to RBG (loved the characters, loved the battles, loved the evil gym leaders), RS (awww, come on, Ruby and Norman's backstory, how can you not love it? and Sapphire sniffing Pokemon butts? :p) and Yw for a spectacular final battle.
But wait, FRLG! and Emerald! They were also great! aargh it is too difficult to choose!

(Haven't really seen enough of DP to judge. Like it so far, though.)

I've gotta give the Yellow saga it's props though; it was probably the most clever chapter yet. I mean, Pikachu using Substitute to learn Surf? Hyper Beams that change directions? Colored Bubble Beams that become invisible under light? Ice voodoo dolls? That chapter had some of the best battles ever, and I hope the HGSS arc follows up on that trend since the HGSS games take tropes from the Yellow version, such as being released on it's anniversary and having Pokemon walk with you ala Pikachu. We've already seen that in the HGSS manga with Lance getting more focus, so I'm hoping to see some more clever battles from everyone, Gold and Silver especially. It's going to be amazing to see how much stronger Gold got after training with Red, because the Emerald saga really didn't show us much of that.

Yellow had the best battles by a country mile, but I think Ruby/Sapphire had the best storyline and character progression, so I voted that.

I voted FR/LG. So far this is the arc which is the most serious and has the least relaxing scenes. Maybe its because it don't have to introduce any new main characters and can just directly proceed to the main story. It is also an arc which has many hidden plots reserved for the other arcs, for example the whereabouts of Mewtwo is what i wanted to know most.

I'm going with the Emerald and D/P chapters. I read all of Emerald, and I'm on the first few volumes of D/P.

Guess I'm stuck going with Red and Blue, since they are the only ones that I have read in their entirety.

I haven't read past the first volume of DP, so I'll say the Hoenn Saga (Ruby/Sapphire).

The Manga added a story where the games didn't have much of one (Yellow's was totally original and would've made a great plot for a game, I think). But the RS games (and Emerald's extra bits were added later into the plot) already had a story and the manga evolved it into something better. I like how Gym Leaders and other NPCs in this comic get more involved than anywhere else.

DP is a very boring take on the series to me. We have one rich girl and her two "bodyguards" (comedians who wound up with the role after accidental mail swapping). Gyms're only a side-quest. Haven't seen Galactic's involvement, but I read that it's much closer to the game's (Valley Windworks), while Magma/Aqua did a few other things on top of that (abandoned ship).

And I just don't like Dia and Pearl's jokes.

I haven't read past the first volume of DP, so I'll say the Hoenn Saga (Ruby/Sapphire).

The Manga added a story where the games didn't have much of one (Yellow's was totally original and would've made a great plot for a game, I think). But the RS games (and Emerald's extra bits were added later into the plot) already had a story and the manga evolved it into something better. I like how Gym Leaders and other NPCs in this comic get more involved than anywhere else.

DP is a very boring take on the series to me. We have one rich girl and her two "bodyguards" (comedians who wound up with the role after accidental mail swapping). Gyms're only a side-quest. Haven't seen Galactic's involvement, but I read that it's much closer to the game's (Valley Windworks), while Magma/Aqua did a few other things on top of that (abandoned ship).

And I just don't like Dia and Pearl's jokes.

Defeating the Gym Leaders is much more than a side-quest as you'll see much later in DP. Same for the Platinum saga; Platinum defeating the Frontier Brains serves a much bigger purpose than it seems.

Defeating the Gym Leaders is much more than a side-quest as you'll see much later in DP. Same for the Platinum saga; Platinum defeating the Frontier Brains serves a much bigger purpose than it seems.
Everything in the manga always serves a bigger purpose than what it initially may seem like...

That doesn't make DP any less boring and pointless, though. All I can hope for now is that the Platinum chapter redeems its true predecessor.

I actually thought DP had the most character development. Sure, the stories were a bit boring but by the time...

... that Dia and Pearl argued, Platinum admitted to all the times she lied, and the group split up to go guard the different areas of the region, I was hooked on the story.

I like Dia and Pearl, though. Can't say the same for Platinum, though. I do like that Pearl is quick to notice things and that Dia is smarter than he seems, especially when he comes to battle. He reminds me of Yellow, who was brimming with ingenuity. But regarding Platinum, how am I supposed to believe that as an inexperienced trainer she's able to do what Ruby, Sapphire AND Emerald - who obviously had talent in their areas of goals - with no problem at all? I mean, I understand that she learned a lot about Pokemon and stuff from reading books, but wow...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom