• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best starter from each gen?

Kanto: Blastoise. Bazooka turtle's never a bad addition to a team.
Johto: Meganium. Lacks the same ferocity as the other two starters, but this mon would be super useful if Pokemon were real. It's also cute regardless of evolutionary stage.
Hoenn: Swampert. Some people love Charizard because it was their first starter. I didn't really start my first true journey until two generations later, and I did it with this brawny bro.
Sinnoh: Infernape. This generation in general was great, but a fiery martial artist monkey? Who's a mixed sweeper?! Sign me up!
Unova: Emboar. Like Meganium, it has that underdog appeal. And that brash but lovable bruiser appeal. Like that one Journey to the West character but maybe less selfish.
Kalos: Chesnaught. Starts out adorable in its first two stages, then it fights for its friends. Then there's even more fun to be had if it has Bulletproof...
Alola: Incineroar. Tryhard tough guys are always hilarious to me for some reason.

Kanto: Charizard

Johto: Typhlosion

Hoenn: Blaziken

Sinnoh: Torterra

Unova: Samurott

Kalos: Chesnaught

Alola: Incineroar

Galar: Rillaboom

Kanto: Blastoise gets Fake Out and Aqua Jet to hit hard any pokemon that gets in the start

Johto: Typhlosion, highest base stats and best typing, fastest

Hoenn: Sceptile, highest speed and flying move against

Sinnoh: Infernape, highest speed and fighting takes down steel, also has fake out

Unova: Serperior, highest speed and gets glare and flying type and water move

Kalos: Greninja, highest speed, flying type and dark moves to handle other starters

Alola: Incineroar, immunity, fake out and sucker punch combo repairs it lack of speed and makes it better

Galar: Rillaboom with Fake Out and its attack is a real bringer here...

Blue/Red: Venusaur
Yellow: None (Pikachu sucked in this one, and it couldn't evolve)
Gold/Silver: Typhlosion
Ruby/Sapphire: Swampert
LeafGreen/FireRed: Venusaur
Diamond/Pearl: Dunno... but I've heard Infernape
HeartGold/SoulSilver: Feraligatr
Black/White: Emboar
X/Y: Delphox
Omega Ruby/ Alpha Sapphire: Swampert
Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: Primarina
Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee: Pikachu and Eevee respectively
Sword/Shield: Cinderace

Last edited:
Kanto: Charmander is always my favorite. Plus Charizard can fly.
Johto: I can't choose between Chikorita and Cyndaquil for different reasons. While I love Typhlosion, Meganuim became one of my favorites because of Team Four Star's nuzlock.
Hoenn: Treecko's entire line is amazing. (Don't tell Torchic)
Sinnoh: I like Infernape best out of all the final forms in this gen so I'll have to go with Chimchar.
Unova: Uh... I'm not really a fan of the starters in this generation. Emboar looks cool though? I like to name mine Ganon.
Kalos: I have never loved a fire starter more than Fennekin. A fennic fox? That's a mage? And its final evolution seems based on the Oracle of Delphi (who was high priestess of Apollo, one of my favorite Greek gods?) SIGN ME THE FEK UP.
Alola: HEEL WRESTLING FIRE CAT.
Galar: All the starters are meh until their final form. At that point, Inteleon is my favorite. Then Rillaboom, and finally Cinderace. That's right the fire type is my least favorite starter (except for the middle phase, in which case its my favorite). Hell's frozen over, cats and dogs are living together, fish have learned to fly. It's utter bedlam up in here.

Kanto: Bulbasaur- How can you not like Bulbasaurs evolution, Venusaur's defenses?
Johto- Feraligatr- Ever since the physical special split Feraligatr has been good because I just abandoned Typlohsion after gen 4
Hoenn- Blaziken, because speed boost.
Sinnoh- I did not really like any but Empoleon was decent I guess
Unova- Would have been Emboar but Serperior got Contrary and Leaf Storm.
Kalos- Greninja because of Protean and Battle Bond Greninjas insane stats.
Alola- The only starter I based of design, Decidueye
Galar- Rillaboom because I have gotten emotionally attached to it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom