• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Wishes ratings in Japan

Cybersai

Reaction score
I don't know if this is surprising or not, but Best Wises anime ratings in Japan seem to be the lowest the series has been in some time. I've checked both AG and DP's ratings for the same time period and they were much higher.

Apparently BW2's marketing push of old Pokemon an characters returning is supposed to boost ratings. Any idea if possibly the abandoning of the TR and TP episodes caused people to lose interest?

I don't think it's a coincidence they took a sharp decline after the Nyasu arc, which just happened to be the last batch that were made before the earthquake in all likely hood.

The fact they're starting Season 2 promotion two weeks before the games come out is pretty telling how desperate they are to get the numbers back up.

Yes they're probably hoping Giovanni, Dawn/Piplup, Cynyhia and old Pokemon returning will boost ratings.

I am surprised that even with Cilan's popular VA it didn't keep ratings steady.

It would be good to see all pokemon ratings from 1997 to present day. Is there any site or way to see them?

It would be good to see all pokemon ratings from 1997 to present day. Is there any site or way to see them?

アニメのサブタイトル一覧 - ポケモンWiki
(4th)

The lowest rating ever was 2.2%, which is the episode that Tepig evolved in.

It's amusing that a Tepig evo ep did so poorly.

That's what the show gets for overrehashing a plot about an abandoned and mistreated fire-type starter.

Do you have any statistical proof you could show us...?

Glancing at the wiki that Human linked to should be enough proof. There's no need to test for differences in means, deviations, etc for this.

If someone wants to put all the data in excel I could do it if I have free time/can be bothered but copy pasting their table won't work for me on Excel, and I don't have a license of Minitab to hand (which is preferable over Excel).

Last edited:
So how is the percentage of viewers calculated? Is it just a certain percentage of viewers out of say, 1000 households?

If someone wants to put all the data in excel I could do it if I have free time/can be bothered but copy pasting their table won't work for me on Excel, and I don't have a license of Minitab to hand (which is preferable over Excel).
I could do that if you don't mind. I have an Excel document with all the Pokemon episodes (don't ask me why, I just do), so I can just type in all the ratings (which shouldn't take me too long). I'll then do bar charts or something showing how ratings have changed per series or something.

Last edited:
Well I don't really know what to say. If it's anything to do with TR is will most likely be their sudden gimmick change rather than their disappearance. I love TR but since they've changed so much I've been really grateful that they haven't been in recent episodes. Also, the Tepig episode surprises me. I thought that was one of the best so far. I guess it's hit and miss, maybe it's just starting to get old. I mean, new fans will certainly amount but I doubt they'll stick with it and watch it religiously like the older ones did. Back then, it was something to really look forward too. Now there's a ton of entertaining anime to watch. I don't know, i'm just assuming. Bringing back old faces will certainly boost ratings, but that wont be a permanent fix. People will tune out again once they have left. If the show really is in crisis it will be very interesting to see how they deal with it.

I could do that if you don't mind. I have an Excel document with all the Pokemon episodes (don't ask me why, I just do), so I can just type in all the ratings (which shouldn't take me too long). I'll then do bar charts or something showing how ratings have changed per series or something.

If you want. Personally I'm not too bothered as I think looking at the data is enough to see differences. I think WildGamer was thinking more on the lines of statistical tests than graphs though.

Personally I don't have much of an opinion on the ratings going down though as to why, I can only guess the fans that carry over from the past saga didn't happen much this time; they felt BW was too different than DP and stopped. The figures in the 30-40 ep mark are still alright and I know a lot of people wait for a while hoping for things to change before they give up.

If you want. Personally I'm not too bothered as I think looking at the data is enough to see differences. I think WildGamer was thinking more on the lines of statistical tests than graphs though.
Well, now I'm thinking of doing a line graph instead, but the main thing will be getting all the data in that document.

Anyway, I noticed that generally the Meowth arc had higher ratings than the episodes before and after it, including more than the Don Battle as well, which means the Meowth arc could have brought some DP fans back. Also, the Subway two parter got 7.8, which is higher than the other two parters, so I guess those extra viewers were pretty interested in seeing either how the Meowth arc ended, or interested in seeing some 'action-packed' episodes.

No wonder, the show is so poor compared to DP. It was to be expected it would have gotten low ratings.

Johto had higher ratings than DP. That certainly doesn't mean that Johto is a better written saga with better written characters, better battles and with more entertaining episodes. The show was still new back then. I think that if the writers really want to get better ratings they should reboot the show already. Pikachu isn't that popular anymore to warrant it being in every episode and Ash has become too stale.

I'm not familiar with the ratings system as much as I should be. Would, say, a 5.5 for example, basically mean 5 and a half million people were watching?

Kind of interesting that the show hasn't managed to breach a 10 since the beginning of Advanced Generation. And it is pretty disheartening to learn that a lot of really shitty episodes have got good ratings, while some of the show's best have kind of floundered. More people tuned in for that Chingling filler than any of the Ash vs. Paul finale? Wow.

I'm not familiar with the ratings system as much as I should be. Would, say, a 5.5 for example, basically mean 5 and a half million people were watching?
I think it means 5.5% of the households that agree for the viewing figures to be sent back to the broadcaster so they can see their viewing figures to see how many people, on average, watched each episode.

5.5 as in 5.5% of the total population in Japan!(I think)

Kind of interesting that the show hasn't managed to breach a 10 since the beginning of Advanced Generation. And it is pretty disheartening to learn that a lot of really shitty episodes have got good ratings, while some of the show's best have kind of floundered. More people tuned in for that Chingling filler than any of the Ash vs. Paul finale? Wow.
I know right?

Episodes at the beginning of a saga always do better than episodes at the end.

DP went on too damn long. The kids who were watching at the beginning of it never made it to the end.

I think the lowest rated episode of the Original Series was the EP130 The Whistle Stop, which got 5.3%. Though to be fair, it did air on New Year's Day 2000.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom