• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Wishes ratings in Japan

I seriously don't know where the rumor that the ratings started automatically sucking after the Nyagotiator Arc. even came from.

That came from me because I looked at the ratings myself. You can clearly see a sharp decrease.

That came from me because I looked at the ratings myself. You can clearly see a sharp decrease.

Ratings (God, these took too many minutes to type out and find.)

Marracchi Musical - 5.1
Mebujika Pictures - 5.2
Bratty Gothimu, Koharu, Kibago, and Zuruggu - 6.6
Daycare Monozu and Iris - 5.0
Accelgor(Star Symbol I can't type) and Freezio Man - 4.0
Brother Battle! - 5.5
Kami Trio Part 1 - 5.4
Kami Trio Part 2 - 4.8
Dangoro Evolutionary Gym Battle - 4.2
Denchura and Bel - 5.6
Trade Evolution - 4.7
Araragi and Creepy Pokemon - 5.8
Bully Episode - 5.2

They're perfectly fine, so I don't understand why the Nyagotiator Arc's ratings were put in high regard when these are nearly the same. :/ I really don't see any sharp decrease that's actually notable, it's nearly "all" the same. The Charbu evolution episode just caught a bad day, it was during a holiday IIRC if that's what's making people get so up-in-arms about ratings. Seriously where are the awful ratings people keep talking about since the TP missed 2-Parter and Nyagotiator Arc. ending?

EDIT:More Ratings

Afro and Buffron - 4.2
Dento VS. Fuuro - 4.8
Fuuro and Kenharou - 5.3
Bell of Wishes and Kenyan - 4.8
Donamite Opening! - 4.8
Doryuuzu VS. Futachimaru - 4.5
Emboar VS Kirikizan - 4.7
Dageki VS Nageki Donamite Finale! - 5.3
Abducted Kibago and Hahakomori - 4.4
TR Fossil Plot Part 1 - 5.0
TR Fossil Plot Part 2 - 4.1
Charbu Evolution - 2.2
Hachiku Introduction - 4.6
Sekka Gym Battle - 3.7
Momochii, Dento, and Choroneko- N/A(For some reason this episode isn't there)
Teshiddo Research Facility and Iris, Baivanilla, and Langley - 4.5
Luke's Movie Showdown - 3.8
Homika, Satoshi, and Dogasu - 6.5(Note*Pokemon Special Double Airing)

Last edited:
More Ratings.

Pokemon DP Last Episode - 5.6
BW First 2 Episodes - 9.3
Meguroco and the Sand Spa - 6.5
Pokabu - 7.4
Sanyou Leaders Enter - 6.3
Mijumaru wins and Munna and Makomo-Hakase - 7.6
Tsutarja Caught - 8.0
Darumaka - 6.1
Kibago, Iris, and Pendra - 8.1
Shooti VS Satoshi - 8.1
Ishizumai Caught - 6.4
Yabukuron Kindergarten - 8.3
Bel and Chillarmy - 7.8
Shippou Musuem and Desmas - 7.4
Satoshi VS. Aloe - 5.7
Aloe VS. Satoshi - 6.6
Zuruggu Hatches - 7.5
Kurumiru Capture and Arti - 6.4
Cabernet Enters - 7.0
Evil Koaruhi and Meguroco - 6.5
Gothitelle - 6.1
Fushide Infestation - 6.4
Pure-Hearted Bug Type Gym Battle - 5.2(Earthquake)
Emonga Capture - 6.6
Emonga VS. Tsutarja - 6.5
Homicidal Hitomoshi - 5.3
Dragon Master's Path and Crimgan - 5.9
Mijumaru's Lost hotachi - 6.1
Enarmored Monmen - 5.2
Alien Pokemon - 4.2
Satoshi VS. Shooti, third battle - 6.0

Mijumaru Aqua Jet and Gamagaru Capture - 6.0
Dragon Buster and Doryuuzu and Iris - 6.3
Satoshi and Dangoro's Capture - 4.5
Detective Dento and Tabunne - 5.5
Archen - 5.7
Fishing Episode - 5.0
Zorua and Luke, Masters of Movies:)P) - 5.3
Don Battle, Cabernet VS Satoshi - 5.1
Don Battle, Langley VS Satoshi - 5.9
Don Battle, Iris VS. Kenyan - 4.5
Don Battle Finale, Satoshi. VS Iris - 5.2
Zuruzukin and Nyagotiator - 5.1
A Tale of Two Kitties....and Mijumaru - 6.2
Dream Thief - 6.0
Tsunbear and the lost Kumashun - 6.7
Subway Crisis Part 1 and 2 - 7.8
Bel VS. Kamitsure - 5.7
Satoshi VS. Kamitsure - 6.5
Submas Stamp Rally - 6.0
Satoshi VS. Adeku - 6.9

Last edited:
For some weird reason, Pokabu's evolution episode had unnaturally low ratings. Seriously, just compare it to the rest of BW.

Also, Hikari and Takeshi's specials are 12. most watched episodes of current saga.

Pokemon shouldn't be getting down into the 3s and 4s. There's your low ratings @Gotpika;.

When Curious George keeps beating it in the ratings, that's pretty sad.

Pokemon shouldn't be getting down into the 3s and 4s. There's your low ratings
Pokemon's Ratings are just fine when it can manage to get in the top 10 highest ratings show for the majority of the year in Japan. 3s and 4s really aren't bad at all, that's good.

When Curious George keeps beating it in the ratings, that's pretty sad.
And Pokemon is losing to Sazae-San and Chibi-Maruko-Chan, your point? I guess it's pretty sad that Naruto and Bleach are losing to Pokemon then?

Omg the ratings really aren't that important. People who miss the episodes can buy them on DVD. derp. Who buys episodes anymore? There's DVR. XD

Pokemon's Ratings are just fine when it can manage to get in the top 10 highest ratings show for the majority of the year in Japan. 3s and 4s really aren't bad at all, that's good.

Yes, they are still bad.

And Pokemon is losing to Sazae-San and Chibi-Maruko-Chan, your point?

Those are two long lasting and popular anime. Not even close to the same thing.

I guess it's pretty sad that Naruto and Bleach are losing to Pokemon then?

They've never done well in the ratings.

And considering both shows are ending their ratings are meaningless anyway.

Omg the ratings really aren't that important. People who miss the episodes can buy them on DVD.

No, they can't. They're only available in rental.

No, they can't. They're only available in rental.

Eventually. :p Times are changing now. I personally really like Best Wishes. Sure. I don't watch every episode, but I don't think ratings make a season good or bad. :/ That's just my opinion. Are you guys trying to point out that the show sucks now compared to DP or whatever saga, or is this a stock market or something? Let's all play stock market with POKEMON episodes~ sounds fun. X3

Yes, they are still bad.
What the hell? All shows in Japan are dropping in Ratings, this isn't just Pokemon. But, it still manages spots in the Top 10 often. The Ratings are perfectly just fine, literally every week ratings wise there are only a hand full of shows that actually manage good ratings, Pokemon is one of them. 3s and 4s are not bad at all, they're perfectly exceptional. Not only that but Pokemon usually get 5s and 6s often as well as 7s and 8s if the episodes are advertised well. So, I don't see how you consider the ratings "bad".

Those are two long lasting and popular anime. Not even close to the same thing.
You said Pokemon was losing to Curious George, a pre-school show so I thought you were implying that Pokemon losing to a preschool show was bad when it itself is a young childrens' show. Chibi Maruko-Chan is a family show along with Sazae-San too.

They've never done well in the ratings.
And...what makes Curious George so special? Why is it not okay for it to beat Pokemon if it gets reruns and fantastic advertisement alongside a exceptional timeslot?

By the way, I hope I'm not coming off as aggressive. Just sayin' there's absolutely no reason what-so-ever to think the ratings have been "awful" since the end of the Nyagotiator Arc or because of the skipped TR VS TP Specials, when in reality the ratings are doing great.

I pretty much agree. Who cares if it got a 3 or 4 rating...it still manages to stay in the top 10 list pretty much every week. Pokemon, Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, Detective Conan, etc., always seem to make the list, unless an ep didn't air for the week, or in DC's case, if it was a rerun. It's still pretty much showing that the series is still more watched than those outside of the top 10 (naturally). Why argue about the ratings? They may be lower, but not low enough for it to matter, imo...unless you're referring to its many dubs...and of course with that, I have no knowledge at all about it.

Look, even if Pokemon is doing well on top 10 lists, the whole market is basically having trouble. For a totally nerdy reference, Pokemon could someday even be the top freakin' percentage of a bunch of Rattata, but they are still just Rattata. What I'm taking from this is that the whole market needs to do something to get back up again because low ratings in general are becoming the "norm", and that's just not good. The Homika episodes are looking better, but lets just hope that Pokemon will start setting higher standards and do whatever it takes to revive the industry and that other anime's will follow.

Look, even if Pokemon is doing well on top 10 lists, the whole market is basically having trouble. For a totally nerdy reference, Pokemon could someday even be the top freakin' percentage of a bunch of Rattata, but they are still just Rattata. What I'm taking from this is that the whole market needs to do something to get back up again because low ratings in general are becoming the "norm", and that's just not good. The Homika episodes are looking better, but lets just hope that Pokemon will start setting higher standards and do whatever it takes to revive the industry and that other anime's will follow.
As others have pointed out, as far as Japan goes, it doesn't matter. It's still highly watched. I can think of a series that doesn't seem to be in the Top 10, and yet its anime still airs and has been airing for years. The Anpanman series. That's from the late 80s. The character itself is very popular. If something like that can remain on the air, why wouldn't a series like Pokemon that gets viewers every week and remains in the top 10 amongst those viewers?

That aside, there are less people (viewers) in general watching television now-a-days in Japan, seemingly. I noticed that with Detective Conan over the years. That show is still really popular, but its anime is still going. Pokemon is grossly popular here. You can't go anyplace without seeing something Pokemon-ish, whether it's a grocery store, a supermarket, a mall, shopping center, game center, video/game/cd rental store, convenient store, etc. I doubt the series is going anyplace anytime soon...not a top 10 show, anyway, that has, technically, a never-ending story, as long as the games exist and keep getting put out.

Also, you're only saying it'll decrease because of your bias hate on Dawn, who was one of the best things the anime had to offer outside of Cilan.

To be fair you can say same about any massively popular character. To many people Misty, May, TR etc were best thing which happened to show.

What? You seriously don't think after the Nyagotiator Arc. the ratings just suddenly going down do you? This isn't an overnight thing, it has been happening gradually, just like it has for years.

Not really. In 2010 and 2011 BW had generally higher ratings than they are in 2012, and this is happening for a reason with ratings experiencing decline not only because of TV being generally less watched today. But also because people interest dropped for anime with writers having to change current formula and innovate to maintain people interest.

Fans don't matter. People do, and most "normal" people aren't going to up and quit a show because of a plotline being dropped, this show isn't meant for nerds over the internet.

If someone watches pokemon on regular basis liking it, he can be considered series fan. Since fans are viewers which bring ratings to pokemon anime they do matter, and if anime fails to fulfill their expectations and deliver entertainment they are going to quit.

It already happened in Johto with people being fed up with fillers or plots like GS ball being dropped. It happened when original trio was disbanded, in BF when VAs were changed just like it happened in Unova with people disliking direction through which series started to go with abandoned plots and poorly constructed storyline playing role in it.

No, they just want people to watch BW2 and the show's goal is make you buy toys and video games. So, they're hyping it up with a Hikari return and throwing game elements i.e. Shirona and Meleotta into the mix. Not to mention the Keldeo movie barely has any competition this year.

And why they try to attract more people toward show? Because ratings dropped with writers wanting to regain people interest through hype which older characters,popular older pokemon or new features from games brings.

Going by argument how quality of series had nothing to do with drop of ratings, being "only plexus of unfortunate circumstances like occupation with other things", than hype around BW2 and older companions return wouldn't help much either to bring viewers back.

But it does with ratings starting to improve with Homika episodes confirming that, and writers starting to fix mistakes.

No. It's NOT meant for fans, especially older ones. They just are hyping up BW2.

Older characters are mostly returned for older fans, because they were present around time when older generations grew up with anime . For same reason Misty, May, Gary in DP returned and now Dawn is brought back .
Further confirmation to that is boost in ratings with such episodes being usually among highest rated ones for a reason.

Its enough to take a look at ratings for Dawn and Brock DP specials and compare it with rest of BW. Same applies to other character cameos or specials.

The ratings haven't been that "poor" in BW2, they really really haven't. The ratings are just fine. People just aren't watching tv like they used to, I seriously don't know where the rumor that the ratings started automatically sucking after the Nyagotiator Arc. even came from.

I don't know about you but i can't remember series ever having that low ratings like its case with Best Wishes. While that doesn't apply to every episode, fact that some episodes had ratings 2.2 or 3.7 is terribly low even for today standards.

Argument how ratings dropped so much in BW because "people massively decided to stop watch TV" doesn't hold much water to it, being only mask to justify poor writing BW had.
There is a reason why writers started to drastically change things lately adding new twists;such as unexpected 6 vs 3 match against wild gym leader Homika, Dawn likely becoming recurring character in BW2 breaking patterns of past girl returning for fw episodes and leaving, information about Cynrthia and world tournament leaking out unusually early etc.

I doubt the series is going anyplace anytime soon...not a top 10 show, anyway, that has, technically, a never-ending story, as long as the games exist and keep getting put out.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Games can survive without anime, but if ratings drop too low with series not being profitable anymore only logical thing to expect is their shut down.

Anyway i agree with Bluelatios. Its innovations and unpredictable twists which bring more excitement toward anime with writers experimenting in each passing region to achieve desired results . Judging by hype unexpected return of older characters created not only among adults and teens, but also today kids being curious to find out more about them is showed to be good move which brings profit and better ratings and by trying out new things such as possible character rotation making older friend relevant again and taken in new ways(like Misty, May, Brock etc), introducing different and new plots such as world tournament, doing something with organizations like Tr moving it forward seems like step in right direction to make series generally more watched and appealing.

After seeing what SSJ_Jup81 said to my last post and reading the points since then, I feel like saying this. Changing the characters is probably a great thing viewership levels (and maybe ratings though it probably really doesn't effect it that much what with new fans coming in all the time) wise. It means that kids can choose to watch the series with the characters and feel they like the best. Either way, it means it's better from an advertising point of view and maybe from a creative point of view than I had previously thought.

Basically I doubt that character changing has caused the slow drop since around Kanto. I think that those saying it's due to TV watching in general going down like others have said.

I'm also wondering if there is anyway of getting better statistics: anime based merchandise sales or something like that maybe?

For the recent 'big' drop though, there still are a lot of things to consider. It's possible that the reasons are economic or political or just plain coincidence. I can understand the arguments for it being a quality issue, but really there's not enough evidence to say either way.

The ratings haven't been that "poor" in BW2, they really really haven't. The ratings are just fine. People just aren't watching tv like they used to, I seriously don't know where the rumor that the ratings started automatically sucking after the Nyagotiator Arc. even came from.
Argument how ratings dropped so much in BW because "people massively decided to stop watch TV" doesn't hold much water to it, being only mask to justify poor writing BW had.
Then how do you explain the other shows also having lower ratings over time? I mentioned Detective Conan. Its ratings have dropped over the years, but it still remains one of the most popular series here and most watched in the top 10 list practically every week (unless they show a remastered ep usually). Can't really say the day had much to do with it, because it seemed to be in the top 10 when the show used to originally air on Monday nights too...so yeah.
I doubt the series is going anyplace anytime soon...not a top 10 show, anyway, that has, technically, a never-ending story, as long as the games exist and keep getting put out.
Games can survive without anime, but if ratings drop too low with series not being profitable anymore only logical thing to expect is their shut down.
That's not what I really meant. I meant that the source material is still going, so the anime has something to base it on.
Anyway i agree with Bluelatios. Its innovations and unpredictable twists which bring more excitement toward anime with writers experimenting in each passing region to achieve desired results . Judging by hype unexpected return of older characters created not only among adults and teens, but also today kids being curious to find out more about them is showed to be good move which brings profit and better ratings and by trying out new things such as possible character rotation making older friend relevant again and taken in new ways(like Misty, May, Brock etc), introducing different and new plots such as world tournament, doing something with organizations like Tr moving it forward seems like step in right direction to make series generally more watched and appealing.
I kinda disagree with this. I feel that the ratings have gone down because there are less kids around to watch television compared to maybe 10+ years ago. As it's been constantly pointed out, Pokemon is a pure kids show. It's aimed at kids. Even its time slot shows that. Which set of kids would usually be home at 7:00 in the evening? Elementary and kindergarten kids. Who wouldn't generally have a bunch of school responsibilities, mandatory club activities, or juku to go to (which can run as late as 10 at night?). Elementary and kindergarten kids. Who usually have to worry about club activities, entrance exams, juku, working, etc., (junior-high kids, high-school kids, university students, and adults).

There are less Japanese having kids now. There have been schools closed in a few areas due to the fact that they didn't have enough kids to fill them. Of course there are different reasons as to why some don't have as many kids anymore (I chalk it up to lack of privacy [kids share the rooms with their parents in most cases] and economic reasons), but if the target audience is growing smaller, is it no surprise that the ratings for not only Pokemon, but most of these series are low?

Oh, I also partially disagree with the technology part (as far as kids are concerned) due to the fact that I doubt many kids would be using the Internet to begin with. I'd go with, "They're playing more video games" as a reason as opposed to, "They're playing on the Internet."

Then how do you explain the other shows also having lower ratings over time? I mentioned Detective Conan. Its ratings have dropped over the years, but it still remains one of the most popular series here and most watched in the top 10 list practically every week (unless they show a remastered ep usually). Can't really say the day had much to do with it, because it seemed to be in the top 10 when the show used to originally air on Monday nights too...so yeah.

For every show its expected to have ratings decline as time goes on, but when anime has sudden drop in ratings than reason behind this lies in drop of people interest.

Its no secret that writers poor decisions and reckless moves already caused drop in ratings and displeasure among audience in past trying to fix mistakes.
BW series in 2012 in general had unusually low ratings declining pretty fast compared to 2010/2011, which had decent percentage.

I remember same argument being used at one point in DP, but regardless of it Sinnoh still had generally better viewing figures than Unova did.
There are many factors which are needed to be taken in consideration behind drop of viewers, and i don't think "obligations kids might have" is only reason behind this.

I kinda disagree with this. I feel that the ratings have gone down because there are less kids around to watch television compared to maybe 10+ years ago. As it's been constantly pointed out, Pokemon is a pure kids show. It's aimed at kids. Even its time slot shows that. Which set of kids would usually be home at 7:00 in the evening? Elementary and kindergarten kids. Who wouldn't generally have a bunch of school responsibilities, mandatory club activities, or juku to go to (which can run as late as 10 at night?). Elementary and kindergarten kids. Who usually have to worry about club activities, entrance exams, juku, working, etc., (junior-high kids, high-school kids, university students, and adults).

There are less Japanese having kids now. There have been schools closed in a few areas due to the fact that they didn't have enough kids to fill them. Of course there are different reasons as to why some don't have as many kids anymore (I chalk it up to lack of privacy [kids share the rooms with their parents in most cases] and economic reasons), but if the target audience is growing smaller, is it no surprise that the ratings for not only Pokemon, but most of these series are low?

If that was case, logic dictates how ratings would than stay more or less through whole BW show, but they really weren't. Also how to explain sudden increase in ratings whenever writers hype things up with older character return and new game features, starting with BW2 promotion rather early trying to regain people interest back and attract more of them toward show?

If today kids are busy not having time for TV, than Homika episodes and all that BW promotion wouldn't make much of difference but it does with viewers in general becoming more interested. People have certain criteria which they expect from anime to fulfill and if show fails to entertain them, they will lose interest with time.
Less kids watching TV nowadays is only partial reason behind rather pathetically low ratings BW had lately, and writers break of several patterns gling through all that extra work(which they wouldn't if ratings were high) lately is obvious indication how they are trying to make series more attractive for viewers.

Oh, I also partially disagree with the technology part (as far as kids are concerned) due to the fact that I doubt many kids would be using the Internet to begin with. I'd go with, "They're playing more video games" as a reason as opposed to, "They're playing on the Internet."

That may have been rule back in day, but with constant development of new technologies with new products coming out today kids definitely have access to internet much more than they used to have 10 to 15 years ago. In Europe and USA nowadays plenty of kids are using computer and internet, and seeing how Japan is known for releases of technologies with youngsters ad kids being anything but unfamiliar with it i highly doubt that kids aren't using internet at all.

Times changed.

p.s. In other news i disagree with those which say how character replacing is "best thing this show does helping ratings",and argument how this ensures that everyone find someone to relate to doesn't hold any water, when plenty anime don't replace cast with people remaining interested . If anything its rather counterproductive disappointing viewers after they grew attached to someone instead of doing new things and continuation with good number of people over the years abandoning pokemon because of this. Fact that return of older favorite brings more hype than new character does with ratings usually being boosted up says a lot too.

But ill leave further thoughts on this for some other day.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom