• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Wishes teaser shown on Pokémon Sunday: New character "Dento" confirms earlier ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Best Wishes teaser shown on Pokémon Sunday: New character "Dento" confirms earlie

It might be a good idea to take a deep breath...

All I want to know is what sparked such a change in the minds of the producers to go from using a typical character protagonist adapted for the anime into having a completely new character (or characters).

Was this part of some giant push within the company to start thinking new and different? Was there some opposition to the proposed cast of characters, prompting a different style? Is there some hidden agenda going on?

Re: Best Wishes teaser shown on Pokémon Sunday: New character "Dento" confirms earlie

JeanLuc, I just wanted to say I completely agree with everything you've said about the anime. The terrible handling of Ash's character was one of the primary reasons why I stopped watching the show.

I understand keeping a familiar character throughout the series maintains more viewers, but the fact that Ash's character is "resetted" at the beginning of every series is irritating. Every time it seems like he's starting out as a new trainer, and has lost all of his past character development.

All I want to know is what sparked such a change in the minds of the producers to go from using a typical character protagonist adapted for the anime into having a completely new character (or characters).

Was this part of some giant push within the company to start thinking new and different? Was there some opposition to the proposed cast of characters, prompting a different style? Is there some hidden agenda going on?

Regardless of what the reason is, it surprises me the writers decided against implementing White's character. Keeping a character based on a game's protagonist results in a character who is relatable to the younger viewers.

Oh I don't know, I think the viewing of White when I was about 12 or so would've jumpstarted puberty.

It seems that Ash was not in the trailer, but I guess Ash will probably get into the cast in a few episodes where the new cast will have time to settle in the show without his presence. However, Brock must be outta there. Oh, and Kibago jumping into Iris' hair.

I wonder, if there are people wishing good riddance to Ash, then do they want Team Rocket (Jessie, James and Meowth the talkative one) to go? The idea that Team Rocket is so that the show doesn't become a primarily kid's show, and one of the former director or writer of the show (forgot his name) wants Team Rocket to remain as main characters.

It seems that Ash was not in the trailer, but I guess Ash will probably get into the cast in a few episodes where the new cast will have time to settle in the show without his presence. However, Brock must be outta there. Oh, and Kibago jumping into Iris' hair.

There's no doubt Ash will be there from the beginning. He hasn't missed any episode, minus the specials.

I wonder, if there are people wishing good riddance to Ash, then do they want Team Rocket (Jessie, James and Meowth the talkative one) to go?

As long as Ash remains, Team Rocket will too. If the show ever did adopt a new protagonist, I'd assume Jessie and James would leave the show as well.

The idea that Team Rocket is so that the show doesn't become a primarily kid's show

No, it's not. Jessie and James are no longer the evil villains they once were. If anything, they're comic relief.

Dento is probably the Musicman, while Iris will most likely battle, as it seems. Or she'll just wander around, since Ash will return, after all. :p
Either way, I like Iris. Dento looks a little weird.

I'm starting to like Iris, she really stands out compared to the other girls. Dento, meh, he's just a boy who looks like a butler.

Wonder if Iris will be like battles and Dento likes contests....

Hm, I think they're pretty cool. Iris' design is nice.

Though... since Isshu is so far away, I really wonder how Ash is going to get there.

^By plane maybe?

I found it shocking when Iris' Pokemon jumped in her hair XD

Hm, I think they're pretty cool. Iris' design is nice.

Though... since Isshu is so far away, I really wonder how Ash is going to get there.

Boat, just like all the other times...

So Ash is hanging out with Tarzan? wth?

I'm glad Ash is coming back, that was a relief. He is my favourite character. As for the new characters, it's gonna take some time. They most certainly are original, especially Iris. But until I get to know her, she is still the jungle girl for me. :XD2:

Anyway, it looks like we're in for a VERY interesting saga.

I was originally one of those who wanted Dawn to stay, not so much because I was attached to her character, but because I hated the idea of her development being chucked out of the window, only for her to be replaced by another girl who also did contests. Much as I enjoyed the contests in DP, the implication that this was the default career path for the show's female lead was becoming bothersome. At one point it felt like they'd be axing Dawn just to have another girl repeat her character arc.

Now, though... I really like what I've seen of Iris. Assuming musicals are the contest analogue in the new games, she doesn't look like the type to compete in them: the new boy seems to have been designed for that purpose. We might just have our first female dedicated battler on the main cast since Misty.

Her design is lovely. I especially like the hair (which has shown itself to be surprisingly practical) and she just looks... different enough from what's gone before to tantalise me with the prospect of some new and fresh ideas coming from the anime. I'd say her (indeterminate) race is a part of this. It's almost like the designers woke up one morning and realised that there are people in the world that aren't Japanese or white. In a way it's just a small thing, but I'm looking forward to seeing a Pokemon world that better reflects our own.

It might be a good idea to take a deep breath...

We don't yet know for sure that Iris doesn't have some connection to the games. I wouldn't be surprised if she was a gym leader, for example.

I wonder if Iris will have a bicycle.... It'd be hilarious if Pikachu zapped her hair, causing her to follow Ash XD

Re: Best Wishes teaser shown on Pokémon Sunday: New character "Reimu" confirms earlie

Maybe he's been demoted to side character? I'd like that (I think that Ash has the personality of a rock; it's been eroded over time) but everyone else would FLIP OUT

Y'know, I'd probably give the show another chance if Ash got demoted.

Re: Best Wishes teaser shown on Pokémon Sunday: New character "Reimu" confirms earlie

Complain, complain.

I really like Iris. She stands out from the past characters. her design is cute too. Reimu's name is weird, but I'll get used to it. It also creeps me out that he has no eye whites though...
EDIT: According to TV Tokyo, the guys name isn't Reimu. It's Dento or something similar to that.

He has sleeves. Why would anyone think that is his name?

Team Rocket should stay for the sheer amount of dirty things they imply.

To protect the world from chafing and itching.
Maybe it will finally stop all of Jessie's... complaining.

Last edited:

Team Rocket should stay for the sheer amount of dirty things they imply.

This.

From what we've seen in the preview, Best Wishes is shaping up to be a great saga. I might like it even more than the Diamond and Pearl series.

Especially Iris. I love her design and her jungle girl personality. And she won me over whenever Kibago jumped into her hair. But she's still only second to Dawn in my book.

I still prefer White (or whatever her name is) and would enjoy her having SOME role beyond a short cameo at the start of a movie.

If Iris doesn't get stuck with that stupid "Not allowed to evolve" rule and has a pseudo legend by the end though...

Having Dento and Iris have the same goal could be awesome... especially in something like a Contest where everyone competes against each other... the main cast will actually have a sustained rivalry in it.

Same as if Iris and Ash have the same destiny... though that might be a bit more annoying, as they'd both have to battle the gym leader.

Perhaps something completely differet for Iris, like the Pokeathalon.. or something similar and bombastic.

We don't yet know for sure that Iris doesn't have some connection to the games. I wouldn't be surprised if she was a gym leader, for example.
They say her design was based off of an actual in-game character. But for all intents and purposes, she's going to be an original character. Now, that's not really different from what they did with Dawn and May, however it's clear they wanted to try something a little fresh. Thus, instead of the main protagonist design, we get another character design. Whether that pans out for them in the end will remain to be seen.

What really makes me scratch my head is why they decided to give Ash Black's clothes.

What really makes me scratch my head is why they decided to give Ash Black's clothes.

Why not?

In all seriousness, since we're getting a brand new character design over an implementation of the female game protagonist, they probably decided they might as well reference one of the protagonists, in the very least. Thus, Black's outfit.

Or, you know, they might've gotten lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom