• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Wishes! Wish List: What do you wish for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice article, Hellion. Although I have opposing views than you when it comes to characters in Best Wishes (and most things), I agree we need more personality of the main pokemon and need better rivals. There's nothing at all going for Trip currently.

Why not if it makes the show more interesting and helps establish the pokémon's personalities?

A storyline can be something small, an obstacle to overcome. Like say when Grotle had to adapt to its loss of speed after evolution or Gible mastering Draco Meteor. While Mijumaru has problems with Aqua Jet, but do we see it working on it? No. If we saw Mijumaru work on it with Ash, care more about getting better at battling, then it would make me care more about him and would make his future battles and victories more meaningful, have more substance.

I don't see how that'd make the story more interesting. If every Pokemon had a story or something.

Fukamaru wasn't even that cool or fun to me. It was basically Satoshi every episode saying "Fukamaru Meteoric Swarm!", "Fukamaru Use Meteoric Swarm" over and over and hoping he would master it. Grotle neither he was like the fat kid of the class that can't keep up when he was a Turtwig he was cool but all he did was lose over and over. He was cool in the "Snover Balls, Grotle Nuts" episode with the lost Snover though.

Give Mijumaru some time. Have some patience once and let the writers do the job there being paid millions of Yen to do. They have it all planned out Doryuzu, Zuruggu, Kibago, Pokabu, Tsutarja, Mijumaru, and a load of other stuff. You don't see the target audience obsessing over all that do you?

@Scott What's wrong with Johto?

This article is ridiculous! You do realize Hellion, that there's only been 28 Episodes of Black and White?

How much personality do you remember Ash's team having at the beginning of DP; Turtwig had an oral fixation and that's about it really.

Aipom liked to steal Ash's hat and so did a billion other Pokemon. Starly was almost non-existent at the beginning of the series; the same thing with every other single regional bird Ash has ever owned.

You tried to make Noctowl sound like this amazing fighter but honestly I think the only real battle Noctowl ever had (before the Sinnoh league) was the Ecruteak gym, aside from that Noctowl was just used whenever Ash needed to pop a balloon. If memory serves Staravia got shafted too, it didn't even learn Brave Bird until DP68.

As for the personalities of the rest of Ash's team, you seem to be forgetting his Sociopathic Scraggy & a Swadloon who hates Ash's guts. That's pretty good considering we're only 28 episodes in. Give the writers some time to introduce a plot-line to the rest of Ash's Pokemon.

Your reservations regarding Trip are equally as moronic. You seem to think that unless a trainer acts like the Mom from "a Child Called "It"' they aren't a worthy rival.

Ash and Trip clash because of their backgrounds. It hasn't been stated, but one can infer based on trip's clothes, demeanor and a top of the line camera that trip comes from a least a somewhat wealthy background; the kind of upbringing that makes Ash look insignificant compared to him, something Trip never wants to let Ash forget. In that regard I see Ash & Trip's rivalry as a struggle of class differences. Trip needs to be taken down a peg and realize that he can't be as prejudiced as he is now if he ever expects to succeed as a trainer; underestimation can be one of your biggest hindrances in a fight.

What I thought was really stupid was when you degraded the writers for giving Ash and trip town the same evolution family. Do Torterra and Gliscor ring a bell for you?

My point is that it's still way too early to be forming opinions about BW yet. The series is just starting to get it's legs. God forbid the writers don't already have established plot-lines for Ash's individual Pokemon upon their debut. Just remember that at 28 episodes Ash didn't even own Chimchar or Buizel.

I'd try to counter-argue the rest of your article, but I couldn't actually stomach reading it any further.

Lol, why so angry?

You can still compare the first 28 eps here to the first 28 eps of any other saga.

Lol, why so angry?

You can still compare the first 28 eps here to the first 28 eps of any other saga.
My point is that this article is full of shit. I did compare these first 28 eps to previous sagas and we're already better off than DP was at this point.

Moltanic, you seem to be forgetting that Satoshi has three badges so far in Best Wishes, Satoshi in Diamond and Pearl only had one at 28 episodes in.

Also, Kurumayu does not hate Satoshi anymore, if you hadn't have realised from the appearances outside its debut episode.

This article is ridiculous! You do realize Hellion, that there's only been 28 Episodes of Black and White?

How much personality do you remember Ash's team having at the beginning of DP; Turtwig had an oral fixation and that's about it really.

Aipom liked to steal Ash's hat and so did a billion other Pokemon. Starly was almost non-existent at the beginning of the series; the same thing with every other single regional bird Ash has ever owned.

You tried to make Noctowl sound like this amazing fighter but honestly I think the only real battle Noctowl ever had (before the Sinnoh league) was the Ecruteak gym, aside from that Noctowl was just used whenever Ash needed to pop a balloon. If memory serves Staravia got shafted too, it didn't even learn Brave Bird until DP68.

As for the personalities of the rest of Ash's team, you seem to be forgetting his Sociopathic Scraggy & a Swadloon who hates Ash's guts. That's pretty good considering we're only 28 episodes in. Give the writers some time to introduce a plot-line to the rest of Ash's Pokemon.

Your reservations regarding Trip are equally as moronic. You seem to think that unless a trainer acts like the Mom from "a Child Called "It"' they aren't a worthy rival.

Ash and Trip clash because of their backgrounds. It hasn't been stated, but one can infer based on trip's clothes, demeanor and a top of the line camera that trip comes from a least a somewhat wealthy background; the kind of upbringing that makes Ash look insignificant compared to him, something Trip never wants to let Ash forget. In that regard I see Ash & Trip's rivalry as a struggle of class differences. Trip needs to be taken down a peg and realize that he can't be as prejudiced as he is now if he ever expects to succeed as a trainer; underestimation can be one of your biggest hindrances in a fight.

What I thought was really stupid was when you degraded the writers for giving Ash and trip town the same evolution family. Do Torterra and Gliscor ring a bell for you?

My point is that it's still way too early to be forming opinions about BW yet. The series is just starting to get it's legs. God forbid the writers don't already have established plot-lines for Ash's individual Pokemon upon their debut. Just remember that at 28 episodes Ash didn't even own Chimchar or Buizel.

I'd try to counter-argue the rest of your article, but I couldn't actually stomach reading it any further.
This Post is in the Top Percentage of Post. Nice job on your argument it really is a nice reply.

My point is that this article is full of shit. I did compare these first 28 eps to previous sagas and we're already better off than DP was at this point.

And 28 eps into DP, both Dawn and Paul were better developed characters than Iris or Trip so far.

And 28 eps into DP, both Dawn and Paul were better developed characters than Iris or Trip so far.

Hikari did contest Iris doesn't there's a difference between development and new sparkly coordinator stuff.

I don't call being a jerk plot development at all.

Great job on the article, Hellion! It was really well written and I enjoyed reading it. You must have spent a lot of time on it.

I agree with most of what you are saying in the article. I think the rivalry with Trip has a lot of potential, it just needs to be developed more, and better written.

And Moltanic, 28 episodes is plenty of time to form an opinion on it. It's more than enough actually.

Man, I suddenly remember why I stopped venturing into the Anime portion of the fora -- the arguments are too vicious and there is way too much ad hominem.

Thanks to both Hurristat and Paperhorse for the comments. Both your opinion pieces were excellent so this means a lot coming from you!

You do realize Hellion, that there's only been 28 Episodes of Black and White?

Actually, we've only seen 25, and at the time this article was written, only the first 14 episodes had aired. While you're entitled to your opinion, this piece was what it advertised to be: a wish list. It's what I'd like to see happening throughout Best Wishes! and whether or not, based on the episodes I had seen at that point, the writers were going in that direction.

How much personality do you remember Ash's team having at the beginning of DP?

What's your point though? Pointing to DP doesn't disprove the observations I made in the article.

But to answer question, in the first 14 episodes of DP, the writers had established personalities and storylines for both Turtwig and Aipom. The former acted as a referee, showed stubborness and had a storyline since he didn't fully trust Ash, refusing to dodge attacks; the latter was mischievous and playful, and had a storyline established quickly, its love for contests. You're right about Starly. Although he shined in the thirteenth episode, he didn't really have anything unique about it before evolving and that was a bad thing. He would have been a more well-rounded, three-dimensional character had he had more personality and a better storyline.

You tried to make Noctowl sound like this amazing fighter

I said no such thing. I simply said that the writers made him unique and different (superior intellect, psychic attacks and shininess) which they haven't really done with Pidove.

You seem to think that unless a trainer acts like the Mom from "a Child Called "It"' they aren't a worthy rival.

You're putting words in my mouth here. There's a lot of ways to make a "serious" rival work, because ultimately, what made Paul good as a rival wasn't anything really in his character (altough he was developped little by little), it's that he was Ash's foil. Because he's the opposite of Ash, we get to see more of Ash. Ash's rivalry with Paul gave the writers the opportunity to develop Ash and establish his own personality, his own battling style. Trip doesn't provide that yet, which is why I wish he would.

See... an actual debate, without insults or anything. Might want to try that the next time.

Hikari did contest Iris doesn't there's a difference between development and new sparkly coordinator stuff.

You're right, there is difference between developpement and contests. In the first 14 episodes, Dawn had already improved as a trainer (learning how to capture pokémon), had also started training as a coordinator (shown Piplup how to use contest moves in DP007) and we even saw glimpses of her lack of confidence in herself and her inferiority complex towards her mother in the Jubilife contest. Those confidence issues were followed up in the Pachirisu capture episode and led to Dawn's storyline of getting her confidence back later in the saga, which continued all the way until the end of the Grand Festival.

Developpement. There.

At the time this article was written, Iris had expressed no dreams of her own; she hadn't really worked on her stated goal of training Kibago outside of a short sparring match; she hasn't shown any real character flaw she needs to work on...

Lack of Developpement. There.

I don't call being a jerk plot development at all.

Ash's rivalry with Paul affected Ash on a very basic level. Paul releasing a pokémon in their first meeting really established how drastically different their philosphies and chracters worked.

the arguments are too vicious and there is way too much ad hominem.

Sadly you're not wrong, but... sadly, you expect the kind of people who would put "protecting" fictional characters or show over other human beings...

You're right, there is difference between developpement and contests. In the first 14 episodes, Dawn had already improved as a trainer (learning how to capture pokémon), had also started training as a coordinator (shown Piplup how to use contest moves in DP007) and we even saw glimpses of her lack of confidence in herself and her inferiority complex towards her mother in the Jubilife contest. Those confidence issues were followed up in the Pachirisu capture episode and led to Dawn's storyline of getting her confidence back later in the saga, which continued all the way until the end of the Grand Festival.
What's your point? Hikari was a newbie Iris has shown she knows how to catch Pokemon. Yeah and Iris was helping teach Kibago how to battle in episode 9. Again what's your point. I still don't see your point? She had little confidence about herself and lost contest after contest. Which lead to many contest wins with the help of Nozomi. You seem to be ignoring that BW aint even that far along. Have some patience once in a while, being Bias against Iris all over the forum isn't cool at all. When you write an Article your suppose to eliminate Bias not throw it in there.

Character Development. Development. Development. Development. Jeez I swear people these days use the word so loosely.

It's a cartoon how about enjoying it and not getting bent-outta shape over little things? You insult Iris like it's a bad drinking game.

Shinji was basically an asshole pretty much all the way until the final few appearances. He released Pokemon and showed no weakness you call that development? Sounds more like establishing his character to me.

Last edited:
It's a cartoon how about enjoying it and not getting bent-outta shape over little things? You insult Iris like it's a bad drinking game.
...Or how about thinking while you watch something and being able to rationally critique it? I may not have seen much of BW, but I don't think Iris has done anything that makes Hellion's dissatisfaction undeserved.

...Or how about thinking while you watch something and being able to rationally critique it? I may not have seen much of BW, but I don't think Iris has done anything that makes Hellion's dissatisfaction undeserved.

I doubt most people are "pulling episodes" apart when they watch the cartoon it's for fun not serious computing it puts a damper on the fun when people go overboard.

Hellion has gone around the forum bashing Iris it's obvious he doesn't like her. He's ignoring the fact that the writers are writing the story and know what they're doing and acts like he could write the characters better.

There was a bit of dislike for Iris when she was introduced just because of her hair? Mostly older fans. That's pretty dumb I think we can agree right?

At the time this article was written, Iris had expressed no dreams of her own; she hadn't really worked on her stated goal of training Kibago outside of a short sparring match; she hasn't shown any real character flaw she needs to work on...

This is the only thing I really wanted to address, since everything else was spot on.

Iris has a flaw, actually displayed in today's dub episode. She's unwilling to take Ash's advice on how to train or control her Pokemon. She wants to be this tough adult trainer, but she wants to do it her way. And while there's nothing wrong with that, but a more experienced trainer (please don't anyone give me that crap about Ash being reboot, he is still the same trainer just because there's no Uber powerful dick like Paul doesn't mean he's a Kanto level n00b now) is trying to give her advice and she's shutting him out because of how he acts...which is no bearing on how good a trainer he is. I think we're supposed to learn from Iris right now, not exactly root for her as of yet.

She's doing what she's doing at her own pace. It's kind of complicated, I mean they're no rush for Iris as a person to raise Axew as fast as she can...but at the same time we know about the Cosmic Deadline that her character faces, she pretty much has to have Haxorus by the time Ash gets to the League. And she's not getting as many tangible steps is simple because...she has no side quest. It's sort of backwards like Gen, like why have like ever 2nd episode dedicated to her and her Pokemon if her only goal is to raise Axew?

Blah I'm kind of rambling, but I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the writers seem to be doing something different with Iris, it's not necessarily bad or good (especially since we have no clue how long this saga will last or what kind of twists and turns will happen and how it'll all end), but I just think that whatever both Iris and Cilan bring to BW, we haven't even scratched the surface.

this was a good article, the things he mentioned, are, indeed true, but i'm sure they'll be solved as time goes on.

Hellion, I've been getting some replies to the Bulbapedia twitter in response to your article, so I figured I might as well pass them over to you. :D

James_Rocket said:
@bulbapedia I love the Wish List *-*
Here, also retweeted by Heart_PM

PokemonHiker said:
@Bulbapedia: Good article on the new anime series - I hope the Team Rocket story line fleshes out well
Here

On that note, I enjoyed your article as well. Very well thought-out, and very well-written - and I agree with many of the points you made. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom