• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Wishes! Wish List: What do you wish for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see Iris get kicked off. She is my least favorite girl in Pokemon. I would love the writers to replace her with either Misty or May. Also have a sad moment where Team Rocket decides to kill Pikachu and Ash later meets up with Touya to take down Team Rocket with a gun that May sent him. Also I have loved Pikachu since the beginning, I have always wondered what would happen if he was killed and how Ash would react to it.

Great article Hellion! It is really detailed and I'd say accurate.... you even strayed away from cactus girl insults! :loopy:

My Best Wishes wish list?

A slightly Alternate Universe.

My sig says it all.

Last edited:
The aspects that seem like a return to the beginning... that's exactly what Nintendo wanted. They're basically rebooting the series (and not just the anime), only keeping those aspect which are truly needed. In many ways they have made it like Gen. I all over again. In other ways (such as updated graphics in the games and the whole Team Rocket thing in the anime) they are making it different. IMO it's similar to what the comic "For Better or for Worse" did, but it's better since they are not simply rerunning everything with slight alterations; they are instead resetting NOT the plot, but rather the spirit (look and feel) of the show. [SPECULATION]The reboot is part of their master plan, culminating in 2013 when they release Generation VI and it's 1999 all over again in terms of the popularity of Pokémon.[/SPECULATION]

The aspects that seem like a return to the beginning... that's exactly what Nintendo wanted. They're basically rebooting the series (and not just the anime), only keeping those aspect which are truly needed. In many ways they have made it like Gen. I all over again. In other ways (such as updated graphics in the games and the whole Team Rocket thing in the anime) they are making it different. IMO it's similar to what the comic "For Better or for Worse" did, but it's better since they are not simply rerunning everything with slight alterations; they are instead resetting NOT the plot, but rather the spirit (look and feel) of the show. [SPECULATION]The reboot is part of their master plan, culminating in 2013 when they release Generation VI and it's 1999 all over again in terms of the popularity of Pokémon.[/SPECULATION]
Sorry to disappoint you but Pokemon Best Wishes! isn't a reboot.

When you write an Article your suppose to eliminate Bias not throw it in there.

This was an opinion piece. Key word: Opinion.

thinking while you watch something and being able to rationally critique it

Exactly. No television show, no movies, no book, in short no story is perfect. Everything has some good points to it and some no so good points to it; and therefore can be critiqued. In this article, I think I did it fairly, by basing my opinion on the episodes I had seen and what I wished to see in the future from the series.

everything else was spot on.

Thanks!

Iris has a flaw, actually displayed in today's dub episode. She's unwilling to take Ash's advice on how to train or control her Pokemon.

That's a valid point to raise, though I can't help but feeling it's not really something that can help Iris develop as an independant character. I mean, that would mean her developpement would come from her seeing Ash do something to convince her he's a good trainer.

I think we're supposed to learn from Iris right now, not exactly root for her as of yet.

And I think that's really my biggest issue with Iris as a character. She's on the main cast, she's supposed to be a hero and yet, there's nothing about her that really makes me want to root for her. Ultimately because the character has a goal but no real dream fueling it.

It doesn't help that the writers are underusing her character. Except on a few occasions, when a problem arises, she just stays on the sidelines while Ash and/or Cilan do something about it.

this was a good article, the things he mentioned, are, indeed true, but i'm sure they'll be solved as time goes on.

Hellion, I've been getting some replies to the Bulbapedia twitter in response to your article, so I figured I might as well pass them over to you. :D

On that note, I enjoyed your article as well. Very well thought-out, and very well-written - and I agree with many of the points you made. :3

Great article Hellion! It is really detailed and I'd say accurate....

Thanks to the three of you! and thanks for those who took the time to tweet their opinions on the article. I'm really glad you guys liked it.

you even strayed away from cactus girl insults! :loopy:

When I compare Iris to a tree... I'm thinking less cactus and more... purple weeping willow... :D

Last edited:
I think Hellion should do more critiques of the anime and/or its characters. Bulbapedia could use some anime editorials like this more often. I suggest he do one about Misty next, it would be "quite" the read and would draw in interesting discussions. :)

I think Hellion should do more critiques of the anime and/or its characters. Bulbapedia could use some anime editorials like this more often.

I really liked writing this article so I wouldn't say no, we'll see.

I suggest he do one about Misty next, it would be "quite" the read and would draw in interesting discussions. :)

...or not. She's not current, there's nothing new to discuss about her and everything that could be said has already been said a gazillion times...

I suggest a Cilan editorial then. We have the first new male sidekick in the show in years.

I think Hellion should do more critiques of the anime and/or its characters. Bulbapedia could use some anime editorials like this more often. I suggest he do one about Misty next, it would be "quite" the read and would draw in interesting discussions. :)

Yeah nice try Scott! You just want a full article of Hellion bashing Kasumi like he did Iris. You know he doesn't like Kasumi either.

And 28 eps into DP, both Dawn and Paul were better developed characters than Iris or Trip so far.

LOL, by 28 episodes of DP, I called it quits. Development didn't equate to entertainment to me. Dawn, regardless of how much focus she was getting and her constant training, lost my interest after her first contest... Paul was still pretty one-dimensional at this point (aka, an unlikeable jerk). Didn't get back into the swing of things until the tag battle arc when we got to see some back story on Chimchar. This is just my personal experience, of course...

Very well written. It's interesting to read it a few months before in December, and then re-reading it now. It's a bit alarming that, while a few things have been amended, like with Cilan's Sommeliering career being expanded upon and the addition of Scraggy as another interesting member on Ash's team, the complaints are still relevant.

I'm still hopeful for some of the...uh, lesser developed aspects of BW, like Iris's story, Trip's rivalry and Tranquil (just because I find her adorable :embarass:) considering how long I had to wait to get interested in Diamond and Pearl. To be honest, I'm finding that in spite of the jarring cons of the series so far, the episodes are more enjoyable and re-watchable than previous series as a whole (also, I suppose I enjoy having friends in real life finally watching Pokemon too, since they didn't during DP ^^;).

So, to wrap things up, I hope that this flawed, but enjoyable introduction doesn't lead to an unsatisfied feeling towards the end...

Best Wishes is obviously moving faster than previous arcs, but I agree that in essence, not much has truly happened. Ash already beat 3 Gym leaders, but it almost feels like nothing was truly gained out of it.

And none of them had engaging arcs like Roark, Gardenia and Maylene did.

Trip's first 3 appearances are really nothing special, (he could have been swapped with any other character, and the outcome would be hardly any different), while Paul's first 3 appearances really layed the groundwork of what his character was about and set the stage for his future actions.

I guess if you like Iris/Cilan more than Dawn/Brock, you're obviously going to find BW more enjoyable than DP. But for the rest of us who either like characters equally or are neutral to most of them, it really feels like they're just going through the motions. Maybe its because that TR 2-parter was skipped, and that was the first big story arc.

I guess if you like Iris/Cilan more than Dawn/Brock, you're obviously going to find BW more enjoyable than DP. But for the rest of us who either like characters equally or are neutral to most of them, it really feels like they're just going through the motions. Maybe its because that TR 2-parter was skipped, and that was the first big story arc.

There may be truth in that :p Haha, my priorities are a bit different than most people, I think. I definitely don't like all characters equally, and for the most part, attach myself to a favorite character of series. After I've found that favorite character, everything else seems bearable and enjoyable to me.

For the longest time, Team Rocket was that "character" in essence. I kept watching the series for them alone during Johto, and most of Hoenn (until Drew and Harley piqued my interests) and the beginning of DP even. But by that time, I was disappointed in their screentime and development. It wasn't until I found Paul that I decided to see DP in a whole new light. Interestingly enough, after the tag battle, I rewatched the first few episodes of DP and found them vastly more enjoyable.

Let's just say that Cilan caught my attention right away, and gave me hope :p

So, my viewing trends and opinions are unfortunately affected by my shallow interests. I neglect other parts of the show as long as my favored characters are being focused upon.

Call me a crazy person, and a subjective, biased viewer, but this is really how I roll.

clapforjoy.gif

Well written article and I agree with it for the most part. Pidove is kind of weak sauce for me and her position is basically Pidgeotto. It's really only the starters that have personalities. Will they develop in time? Well I really don't like to get harsh/critical until Year 1 has past, since I didn't start to like the D/P anime up until the Year 1 mark was nearing. I remember not liking Paul up until Episode 40. I'm still hoping that an episode focusing on Trip's past will come into play.

I also agree with the Team Rocket bits. For one, I was open to them being different due to how they weren't trying to capture Pikachu in every episode and it was a refreshing take. It was nice to see them doing something else, I just wished they got more screen time out of it.

My only nitpick with the article is that one instance of Mamepato managed to sneak into the essay while other instances called it Pidove. I guess that got overlooked when converting the Japanese names to English, since I would assume that this article was written before Nintendo/TPCi revealed all the English names. Like I said, minor nitpick.;-)

I think Hellion should do more critiques of the anime and/or its characters. Bulbanews could use some anime editorials like this more often. I suggest he do one about Misty next, it would be "quite" the read and would draw in interesting discussions. :)

Fixed :)

I really liked writing this article so I wouldn't say no, we'll see.

Hellion, if you write anything else you'd like to publish, or want to talk about writing for Bulbanews, fling me (or Rex) a PM.

LOL, by 28 episodes of DP, I called it quits. Development didn't equate to entertainment to me.

/hands you some chocolate mousse

Thank you. I couldn't agree more. D/P bored the crap out of me because Hikari was the generic, little kawaii desu girl (yes, I went there) with nothing interesting in her personality and Takeshi, as much as I liked him, just sat it out on the sides. Shinji (in my opinion) was the only memorable character in the first thirty or so episodes and he didn't appear that often anyway.

Hikari got too much focus... I'd rather some of that went to Takeshi instead of him just being tossed out with maybe two or three episodes throughout the entire series that circled around him. Ontop of that, the colors on D/P felt really washed out and way too pale. If Jun didn't exist, I'd probably not have watched a lot of D/P episodes to begin with. He kind of got me wanting to see more.

B/W, unlike D/P, has me super excited for the new episodes. I didn't even watch the D/P episodes as they aired until the end of the season began nearing with only ten or so episodes left, just as a parting gesture.

B/W sacrificed a little bit of character development for entertainment, and I greatly enjoy that.

Last edited:
DP was much better with overall story.

BW seems to focus more on the light-heartedness of the characters and Pokemon.

I can see why some would prefer the latter, but overall it feels like a step back IMO. I don't see why they can't mix DP's story arcs with BW's humor and characters.

Yeah nice try Scott! You just want a full article of Hellion bashing Kasumi like he did Iris. You know he doesn't like Kasumi either.
Y'know, just because someone says "I dislike character X for reasons A, B, and C", it doesn't mean they're bashing that character. In fact, if you're stating specific, legitimate reasons for disliking something, I think that's about as far from bashing as criticism can get.

I think the only thing I can say I really disagree with here are the statements regarding Cilan. His involvement and importance on the show is still blown out of proportion imo, and for all the Tasting Times and flavours, I honestly can't say I feel he's fared much better than Iris. I also don't think it's necessary for a pokemon to have some sort of ongoing story in order enjoy their inclusion, though obviously personallity is always going to be a great asset.

That aside, it's a well written article, and as much as I am enjoying the show for it's fun factor, it's difficult to argue against much of what is presented here, and indeed, I'd like to see many of the issues addressed as the series trundles on.

LOL, by 28 episodes of DP, I called it quits. Development didn't equate to entertainment to me. Dawn, regardless of how much focus she was getting and her constant training, lost my interest after her first contest... Paul was still pretty one-dimensional at this point (aka, an unlikeable jerk). Didn't get back into the swing of things until the tag battle arc when we got to see some back story on Chimchar. This is just my personal experience, of course...
I didn't, but looking back, I'm wondering if it's just the promise of a new pokemon each week that kept me from ignoring Keyhole TV. For all the story elements and gradual growth that was going on, with the exception of a handful of episoodes, it wasn't a very fun show.
Perhaps I'll feel similar about the current series a few years from now, but for all it's ups and downs, I think BW is more successful at being entertaining.

Y'know, just because someone says "I dislike character X for reasons A, B, and C", it doesn't mean they're bashing that character. In fact, if you're stating specific, legitimate reasons for disliking something, I think that's about as far from bashing as criticism can get.

There far from the line of dislike. Like for ex. many disliked Shinji for being an asshole and being abusive that's dislike. Bashing is when they just ignore all the good and focus on that one thing and go around the forums posting a bunch of bashing post about the character.

There far from the line of dislike. Like for ex. many disliked Shinji for being an asshole and being abusive that's dislike. Bashing is when they just ignore all the good and focus on that one thing and go around the forums posting a bunch of bashing post about the character.
I'm afraid I can't see the difference between your two examples. Just because someone expresses a dislike of something doesn't mean they're necessarily bashing it. I don't like seafood; does that mean if I say "I dislike seafood, because I'm not comfortable eating something that spends its enire life in the ocean.", I'm bashing seafood?
Just because someone expresses an opinion that's different than yours doesn't mean that they're some evil troll who enjoys ripping things for the hell of it. People have likes and dislikes, and they have every right to say so. If they explain why, that's even better. If you don't like what other people say, don't listen to them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom