• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Wishes! Wish List: What do you wish for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Best Wishes! Wish List: What do you wish for?

The winter holidays are often the time when we not only take a moment to reflect on the events of the past year, but also turn a hopeful eye to the future. Hellion, the winner of Bulbanews's 2010 Holiday Contest, puts pen to paper and outlines his hopes and dreams for the rest of the Best Wishes! saga.

Read more on Bulbanews

Ash's Pidove has a reason for not being well developed - it's switched out for his Sewaddle in a later episode. Sewaddle has a very colorful personality, being aggressive and spunky, especially considering that it swings in and drop kicks Pikachu once they enter the forest.
Team Rocket's reversal isn't a bad one, even though they sacrifice the comic relief. There was entirely too much comic relief, and they had entirely too much personality. They weren't seriously characters, despite the fact that the kids seemed to treat them as valid threats. Such is no more. They genuinely are dangerous foes and it warms my heart to see that Team Rocket is actually capable of being competent.

Too bad this was left for so long before being published. Now quite a few things in this article are outdated.

Regardless, it was a great read. I can see how it won first place. I haven't actually watched any BW anime yet, but now I'm both excited about the good parts highlighted in the article, and disappointed by other which weren't the way I thought they would be.

Sewaddle has a very colorful personality, being aggressive and spunky, especially considering that it swings in and drop kicks Pikachu once they enter the forest.

Kurumiru has a personality in its capture ep that vanishes after it.

Kurumayu, as shown in BW25, doesn't exhibit what Hellion is hoping for. There's nothing that sets it apart from the other Pokémon on the team or any unique quirks that we see develop down the line.

Out of these wishes, I know (and pretty much agree) with what Hellion will say: they haven't come true in the three months of new episodes since it was written. BW28 gives us some more personality with Tsutarja, but there's still Pokabu who is only really memorable for its wins. Mijumaru has a personality, but hasn't been working on that Aqua Jet that it struggled with over 10 episodes ago. Zurrug, dare I say it, is the only one with both a personality and a story?

I feel that Team Rocket's absence or current "guest star" status, in place of their old "supporting character" role, fulfills my wish of Pokemon getting...slightly better. Without them doing their repetitive shtick near the end of every episode, I feel Ash gets a lot more done a little quicker than usual: quicker evolutions, new moves, and getting badges. Not to mention the general removal of contests. I personally never cared for those episodes but I realize now that the removal itself helped as well. As for being fresh and original, well, I don't expect them to achieve that. I just want monsters being cute and see what their attacks look like as they raid cities in groups, steal apples or annoy someone, without expecting Team Rocket to drop in after buying a giant ACME catapult that's probably electric-proof.

I also enjoy seeing Ash go beyond a full team again after 3 generations. That was cool.

I wish that:

Oshawott and Snivy evolve only once while Tepig goes all the way.

Team Rocket will retain their new "guest star" status.

They never release A SINGLE pokemon again.

Attract stops being a one-hit KO move.

Ash catches more Pokemon and keeps them for good.

Moar Excadrill doing somehting

Moar Pokemon "characters" (the Gangsta Watchog, the grizzly Simisear, the annoying Ducklett)

Ash wins a League, and meets Tobias a second time. Then battles the Elite 4.

I wish for Takeshi to come back.

I wish for Ash to have a fully evolved Water Starter.

I wish that Ash's Tranquill was shown more.

I wish that Cilan wasn't voiced by Jason.

I wish for no more bratty Pokémon.

Reading this article makes me ashamed on how little I know about the anime, because I thought the the current series is great so far, but the problems that was mentioned seems true.

Thanks for reading.

Incredibly well-written, and very interesting. (only, you, Hellion would say "effervescent joie de vivre" in passing). As an interested observer (I don't watch the anime), I found this article interesting for several reasons:

1) It proposed things that are actually viable and would improve the anime.
2) It was written with traditional knowledge of literature such as archetypes, etc.
3) It was written at the level of the casual observer, someone who doesn't watch the anime could follow along quite easily.

Very well done, Hellion.

Regardless, it was a great read. I can see how it won first place. I haven't actually watched any BW anime yet, but now I'm both excited about the good parts highlighted in the article, and disappointed by other which weren't the way I thought they would be.

Well, hopefully, it'll convince some more people to check out the anime. I'm glad you liked it!

Out of these wishes, I know (and pretty much agree) with what Hellion will say: they haven't come true in the three months of new episodes since it was written.

I think from the little we saw of the TR v TP preview, the vilainous team part seems to be on track. The rest... more or less.

On the pokémon part, the writers did give a lot of personality and a storyline to Scraggy, but Kurumayu isn't lacking in both departments. In the rivals department, the rivalry with Trip hasn't really been developped even though he recently reappeared. Bianca, on the other hand, well as a character she just keeps on getting better and better, but I'd like to see her battle a bit more and be more of threat. As far as Iris and Cilan, we've had developpement for the latter and he gained a rival in Cabernet. Iris, on the other hand, as received very little focus as a character, didn't really develop and didn't really play a huge part in the episodes.

Incredibly well-written, and very interesting. As an interested observer (I don't watch the anime), I found this article interesting for several reasons:

1) It proposed things that are actually viable and would improve the anime.
2) It was written with traditional knowledge of literature such as archetypes, etc.
3) It was written at the level of the casual observer, someone who doesn't watch the anime could follow along quite easily.

Very well done, Hellion.

Thanks a lot!

(only, you, Hellion would say "effervescent joie de vivre" in passing).

:p Yeah... when I re-read it some of it felt a bit too Thesaurus happy for my taste though...

Kurumiru has a personality in its capture ep that vanishes after it.

Kurumayu, as shown in BW25, doesn't exhibit what Hellion is hoping for. There's nothing that sets it apart from the other Pokémon on the team or any unique quirks that we see develop down the line.

Out of these wishes, I know (and pretty much agree) with what Hellion will say: they haven't come true in the three months of new episodes since it was written. BW28 gives us some more personality with Tsutarja, but there's still Pokabu who is only really memorable for its wins. Mijumaru has a personality, but hasn't been working on that Aqua Jet that it struggled with over 10 episodes ago. Zurrug, dare I say it, is the only one with both a personality and a story?
If Kurumiru's personality doesn't count neither does anyone elses besides Pikachu's and Mijumaru's by your logic.

My one and only wish is that a certain yellow mouse would evolve.

About the article. Hatooboo has "Air Cutter" that's a standout move as well as she had a moment with Satoshi while showing her Big Pecks after driving away the Fushide.

You can't expect for them to give every Pokemon a storyline who cares if Mijumaru has one? Chimchar is the only one on Satoshi's team I remember having a story.

Why should you care? Because there cute monsters designed for fights and to do cool stuff.

Outside of the one sparring match with Cilan, she has yet to show that she truly wants to train Axew, she has yet to make any strides to make her goal a reality. So if she doesn’t take any tangible steps to reach that goal, if she doesn’t seem to care about it that much, why should I?

*ForcePalm*

She wants Kibago to be strong that's obvious she trains with Satoshi and his Zuruggu and uses Kibago to drive away the Fushide. You can't expect for her to put her newborn in harms ways. Satoshi aint pitting Zuruggu up against a bunch of strong opponents. She loves Kibago and is working hard you seem to ignore that in the post. Baba gave her Kibago for a reason ya know. To get strong and protect. You seem to be ignoring or not wanting to hear the fact that both Doryuuzu and Kibago have stories and a lot of potential. Emonga has a lot of personality and zaniness and was friends with Iris and Kibago. Yanappu and Ishizumai have no story by your logic and aren't interesting just Dento and him being a Sommelier and Cabernet that's about it.

They’ve recycled the female main cast member who doesn’t really do anything in almost every episode, the lackluster Pokémon with little personality and the rival that’s a jerk for the sake of being a jerk from the Kanto days. Among other examples, Tepig’s storyline doesn’t exactly shine by its freshness after seeing Charizard and Infernape go through the same thing.
If that's a shot at Iris and Kasumi I don't think you can say that. Takeshi did nothing either neither was Masato. The only reason Hikari and Haruka did a lot was because there coordinators even Marina just sat there for a long period of time. Shooti isn't really a jerk he said Satoshi was from the Boonies that's it really. I agree a bit about Pokabu. But Pokabu doesn't seem to care he didn't go through long term pain like Charmander and Chimchar probably did. He lost battled and was abandoned that's about it we don't know if he was treated bad by his trainer.

Last edited:
If Kurumiru's personality doesn't count neither does anyone elses besides Pikachu's and Mijumaru's by your logic.

I said a consistent one, because I recognise its personality in its debut episode.

Tsutarja maintains her personality. We saw it in BW7, BW17 and BW28.

So yeah, not my logic.

Also, in your replies to Hellion's article, you keep referring to future events to counter his article, but remember it was written around December, as it says in such article and from posts in this thread.

More awkward Cilan.
More Iris.
More personality for the Pokemon gang.
More game-personality Bianca.
Ash to become more mature again. Seriously, what caused his personality change?

While I don't always agree with Hellion on everything, (how someone cannot like Corphish and Gliscor, I can never forget!), he does have a good head on his shoulders as to what the anime needs to be good.

Also, Ash really needs to win the league this time and go on a Champion league.

I said a consistent one, because I recognise its personality in its debut episode.

Tsutarja maintains her personality. We saw it in BW7, BW17 and BW28.

So yeah, not my logic.

Also, in your replies to Hellion's article, you keep referring to future events to counter his article, but remember it was written around December, as it says in such article and from posts in this thread.
Consistent Personality. You can't expect for Kurumayu to go around attacking people like he did when he was a Kurumiru in Yaguruma forest. He String Shotted Pikachu for a reason. He isn't going to attack people unprovoked.

Oh it was written a while back.

@Gliscor'd That's funny. But I don't see it happening. Sense this show exist to sell stuff.

You can't expect for them to give every Pokemon a storyline who cares if Mijumaru has one?

Why not if it makes the show more interesting and helps establish the pokémon's personalities?

A storyline can be something small, an obstacle to overcome. Like say when Grotle had to adapt to its loss of speed after evolution or Gible mastering Draco Meteor. While Mijumaru has problems with Aqua Jet, but do we see it working on it? No. If we saw Mijumaru work on it with Ash, care more about getting better at battling, then it would make me care more about him and would make his future battles and victories more meaningful, have more substance.

While I don't always agree with Hellion on everything, (how someone cannot like Corphish and Gliscor, I can never forget!), he does have a good head on his shoulders as to what the anime needs to be good.

The anime needs less Corphish and Gliscor :p

Thanks!

Oh it was written a while back.

In December... for the Holiday Contests...

Hellion,

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for such a well written article, that so clearly and concisely expresses what we all are thinking, as fans who have grown up with the anime series over the years. I could not agree more with everything that you said in the article. Hopefully, someone (ANYONE!!!) who is a writer for the anime will read it, and take some of your suggestions to heart, and we can finally see some improvements to the storyline and plot of the anime, which are so desperately needed.

At least it's better than Johto so far, comparing the first 28 eps of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom