• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Beta Content in Video-games

XD: Gale of Darkness is also interesting in that A LOT of Colosseum assets and maps are still in the game files but never get used or called for as warps. Seeing as a lot of the maps are just kind of there, curious as to why they weren't removed, they could have swapped out the unused maps towards new map locations and possibly throwing in some more Shadow Pokemon I think.
In the case of The Under, there's a chance it was going to make it in, but was cut. At least I think so, considering it has an updated description.

The rest... well, I don't I can't totally explain this since my programming knowledge doesn't go beyond the main series Pokémon games, but I have seen the same thing happening in games that receive sequels.

For example, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years has all the items from the GBA version in the code completely unused, and they are perfectly functional IIRC, but that leaves the question of why they are there.

In the case of The Under, there's a chance it was going to make it in, but was cut. At least I think so, considering it has an updated description.

The rest... well, I don't I can't totally explain this since my programming knowledge doesn't go beyond the main series Pokémon games, but I have seen the same thing happening in games that receive sequels.

For example, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years has all the items from the GBA version in the code completely unused, and they are perfectly functional IIRC, but that leaves the question of why they are there.
Speaking of Final Fantasy IV, it's been documented as far back as 2012 that a weird glitch can happen where after defeating some enemies; every once in awhile a new item will appear in your inventory. It's an Gigantaxe class item with the description of "I'm cold..." but can't be used. It can, however; be sold for over 3,000,000+ gil for whatever reason. It's theorized that the "I'm cold..." dialog comes from a boss enemy you fight later in the game.

Speaking of Final Fantasy IV, it's been documented as far back as 2012 that a weird glitch can happen where after defeating some enemies; every once in awhile a new item will appear in your inventory. It's an Gigantaxe class item with the description of "I'm cold..." but can't be used. It can, however; be sold for over 3,000,000+ gil for whatever reason. It's theorized that the "I'm cold..." dialog comes from a boss enemy you fight later in the game.
I have never heard of this before. If this is true, it almost sounds more like a debug item that accidentally made it into the game.

Reviving this thread:

-In Jump Ultimate Stars, the koma characters were going to be playable, seeing how they are mostly complete. Also, Frieza (Dragon Ball), Edajima (Sakigake!! Otokojuku), Buu (Dragon Ball), Sasuke (Naruto) and Raoh (Fist of the North Star) have assists that go unused.

-In J-Stars Victory Vs there is unused data for Jotaro (JJBA), Dio (JJBA) and Dai (Dragon Quest), and assist data for Yoh (Shaman King). With the exception of Yoh, all of them ended up in the sequel.

-There's data for a sixth party member in Super Mario RPG. Judging by beta screenshots, it might have been Luigi.

-Kingdom Hearts 2 was going to have Buzz and Woody as summons.

-From what I remember, Locke and Seymour were considered for Dissidia, but were cut twice. Locke later appeared on Dissidia NT.

-Karin Kanzuki was going to debut in Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, but she was cut. Also, she originally was a headswap of Sakura.

-Doctor Octopus and Frank West were going to be in the original Marvel vs Capcom 3, however, only Frank managed to appear later on.

-Goro and Kintaro were going to be playable in Mortal Kombat 9, and even have unused endings.

-Indie Pogo was going to have a stage based on the company Nitrome, but after technical issues, they decided to turn it into a character instead: Yolk from Leap Day.

Reviving this thread:

-Kingdom Hearts 2 was going to have Buzz and Woody as summons.

To add on to this; Bahamut was going to be a summon in Kingdom Hearts 1. He appears in the list of summons but selecting them only causes the game to crash. Outside of Bahamut appearing on the summon list, there is no other data in the game for it. There was also going to be another battle with Riku-Ansem as there is a boss stage programmed to show up towards the end of the game but it ends up going unused despite all the data for the level to work being present. The level can be accessed using a room modifier code to enter it.

In the debug menus for KH2, there are worlds listed for Toy Story and Monster Inc. but there is no other data present aside from Woody and Buzz having 3d models for them.

In the debug menus for KH2, there are worlds listed for Toy Story and Monster Inc. but there is no other data present aside from Woody and Buzz having 3d models for them.
I didn't know about Monsters, Inc. being in the data. I guess Kingdom Hearts III was where they could finally put those ideas to work.

To keep going with Kingdom Hearts:

-Laguna from Final Fantasy VIII was going to be in Birth by Sleep, but got cut because it was either using it there or in Dissidia 012.

-In Birth by Sleep there was going to be a Jungle Book world. There are still maps in the data.

-Prankster's Paradise from Dream Drop Distance was originally planned for 358/2 Days. You can still find portraits for Pinocchio, Honest John, Gideon and I think Gepetto in the data.

-The Lion King world was also planned for Kingdom Hearts I, but engine problems prevented them from using it at the time.

There was a rather odd RPG based off Dragon Ball Z on the Super Famicom called "Super Saiya Densetsu" (it's the pride of my import collection)--for a while it got a lot of traction in the online English DBZ fandom. It covers the Saiyans and Namek.
In Japan it is apparently sort of memetic for how glitchy it is; in fact I read that in Japan the game included a "letter from Goku" apologizing for how glitchy it is. I do not know if this story is true but I like to think it is.
It has a few interesting beta elements you can find:
*A portrait and (miscolored) sprite for Gohan as a Super Saiyan--even though this game was released before he became one in the original manga! I'd guess there was going to be a bonus feature where Gohan would transform if his father died against either Freeza or the game's bonus boss, but it's just a guess.
*Similarly, a golden Oozaru/Great Ape--again, well predating it appearing officially in GT.

*A portrait and (miscolored) sprite for Gohan as a Super Saiyan--even though this game was released before he became one in the original manga! I'd guess there was going to be a bonus feature where Gohan would transform if his father died against either Freeza or the game's bonus boss, but it's just a guess.
Kinda reminds me of how the Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's games included a plot point before it was officially revealed in the anime.

Reviving this thread since I found out some new things!

Some people already know that there was a cancelled Guitar Hero 7 before Guitar Hero Live, but I finally managed to check the soundtrack (songs in bold are not in any of the main plastic instrument games):

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA
Better Than Ezra - Good

The Black Keys - Tighten Up
Blur - There's No Other Way
Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
Buddy Holly - That Will Be the Day
Cake - Going the Distance
Candlebox - Far Behind
Collective Soul - December

The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love
Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia
Live - Throwing Copper
Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy
Metallica - Turn the Page
Passion Pit - Better
Passion Pit - Smile Upon Me

The Police - Every Breath You Take
Puddle of Mudd - Blurry
Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Robert Palmer - Addicted to Love
Semisonic - Closing Time
Weezer - Buddy Holly
Weezer - My Name Is Jonas

Also, Rock Band 3's on-disc soundtrack was going to be bigger (songs in bold were never released).

.38 Special - Hold On Loosely
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
Aerosmith - Crying
B.B. King - The Thrill Is Gone
Bad Company - Can't Get Enough
The Band - The Weight
Beastie Boys - So What'cha Want
Blink-182 - Dammit (RB3 Version)
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Spinning Wheel
Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary
Deftones - My Own Summer (Shove It)
DragonForce - Through the Fire and Flames
Earth, Wind & Fire - Shining Star (RB3 Version)
Europe - The Final Countdown (RB3 Version)
Garbage - Cherry Lips

Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love
Journey - Don't Stop Believing (RB3 Version)
KISS - Rock and Roll All Nite
Pat Benatar - Love Is a Battlefield
Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do
Santana - Black Magic Woman
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Cities in Dust
Talking Heads - Burning Down the House
Traffic - Feelin' Alright
WaveGroup - Behind Blue Eyes (The Who cover)

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes

Both "Black Magic Woman" and "Feelin' Alright" have achievements related to them still on the disc.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom