• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review Bidoof's Big Stand

SammyW27

Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

Description:
A bumbling Bidoof with a tendency to bite off more than it can chew finds itself between a rock and a hard place as it embarks on a journey to find its place in the world.

Clearly made for Sinnoh promotion...but could still be fun. I'm certianly always down for more Ash -free media :D

*The wilds of Sinnoh are pretty dangerous today.
*I can't believe Focus Miss still saved the day at the beginning.
*Okay, getting a new Pokémon by defeating a different wild Pokémon is not how this usually goes but I'll buy it under the circumstances.
*I can't believe Gengar is dead.
...wait.
*Oh lord it's literally about the fact Bidoof is an HM slave.
*For a second there I thought he murdered that Golem.
That was cute; nice animation style, too.

That was so cute!

The Art style gave some heavy "Into the Spider Verse" flashbacks

Funny Coincidence too as I actually have a Bibarel in my Platinum team as I'm typing this

But holy hell can we talk about how ass this Trainer was?!

How do you let a Lucario job to a freaking GOLEM?

I know they needed Bidoof to have his time to shine but HOW do you have a Team that looks like THIS and nearly flop this hard? XD
20220111_135819.jpg

Last edited:
I know they needed Bidoof to have his time to shine but HOW do you have a Team that looks like THIS and nearly flop this hard? XD
Also note that rival had a big fighting time weakness (Golem, Weavile, and Empoleon) and protagonist had two good fighting types.

What I also found interesting is that the protagonist's team was 100% Sinnoh Pokémon, and the rival was all Sinnoh except Golem.

THE BIDOOF IS PRECIOUS AND HIS SNEEZES ARE SO CUTE
Also the kid won a league with a Bidoof. Bidoof>Ash and Greninja
Considering it's behind a chained link fence with a fairly small crowd rather than in a stadium I think it's just some small local thing, not a league.

This was the greatest thing ever. The Bidoof was so precious. I love how she had the adorable sneezing gag and the fact that all she ever wanted in life was a handshake. :ROFLMAO: Not gonna lie, I thought she'd beat Golem by evolving and learning a water-type move, but I'm glad she won using the skills she learned to destroy rocks.

This was the greatest thing ever. The Bidoof was so precious. I love how she had the adorable sneezing gag and the fact that all she ever wanted in life was a handshake. :ROFLMAO: Not gonna lie, I thought she'd beat Golem by evolving and learning a water-type move, but I'm glad she won using the skills she learned to destroy rocks.
IT WAS A GIRL???

Ohhhh my god, this was AMAZING! GAH! I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS! :bulbaLove:

That Bidoof was so adorable! I really felt for her when she just wanted her trainer to use her for more than just clearing obstacles and to give her a coveted victory high five! Also, aww, when she high fived herself! :bulbaLove:

The story was a very clever and unique take on the infamous HM users. And speaking of, I really liked how Bidoof's trainer didn't think poorly of her for being a glorified obstacle remover and clearly appreciated her contribution to the team even if it wasn't combat related, which is a very sweet take on things. Of course, Bidoof naturally and understandably still felt neglected, since her trainer clearly still liked his main battlers more, so the guy was still rather insensitive if unintentionally so. It's nice to see what an HM user's feelings on the matter would be even in the absolute best case scenario, because let's face it, even those of us who appreciated what HM users did for our teams probably still weren't as fond of them as we were of our main fighters, so this short also makes you reflect quite a bit.

And of course this all culminates in Bidoof's moment of triumph, when she ends up being her trainer's very last hope in a battle after the rest of his Pokemon had been wiped out. Seeing Bidoof finally get a chance to prove herself and earn that coveted high five was super sweet. I will say, though, that I would have preferred for the opponent's Staraptor to be the one to defeat Lucario instead of Golem. Not because I didn't like Bidoof defeating two opponents (I actually thought her defeat of Golem was quite clever, as it's a neat reference both to Bidoof's skill with demolishing rocks and the HM move Rock Smash... which I'm pretty sure is exactly what Bidoof was using to mow down obstacle rocks anyway), but because it would have been a neat total reversal of what happened when Bidoof and her trainer first met: back then, Bidoof was thrashed by Staraptor and was saved by Lucario, earning the latter a high five. Here, Lucario would be the one getting thrashed by Staraptor and Bidoof would have avenged it, earning herself a high five. This is especially so because I get the feeling that the Staraptor from back when Bidoof and her trainer met and the one she wound up fighting at the end were the same individual, so it would have been even more poetic. I also think it would have been neat if Bidoof had evolved after the battle, but again, it's not that big an issue.

Absolutely fantastic short. I can't think of a single thing I don't like, as the only critiques I can think of boil down to minor nitpicks at worst. 10/10

How do you let a Lucario job to a freaking GOLEM?
Well, believe it or not, it actually isn't completely impossible for a Golem to beat a Lucario even in the games; assuming Golem has Sturdy as its Ability, it's guaranteed to survive at least one hit, giving it an opening to use Rock Polish, which would allow it to outspeed Lucario on the next turn and knock it out with a super-effective STAB Ground attack. Granted, it doesn't look like this Golem had any boosted stats, so who knows, maybe the Lucario's loss can be chalked up to a couple of crucial misses from Focus Blast instead, which while it would beg the question of why not just run the weaker-but-still-strong-and-far-more-reliable Aura Sphere as your main STAB instead... at least it's not as absurd as running Hyper Beam on your Staraptor :p

Still, though, from the look of things both trainers made some pretty bizarre choices in that battle: judging by the order of Pokemon sent, it seems that Bidoof's trainer somehow thought it was a good idea to send out a Togekiss against an Empoleon. True, Togekiss can learn Aura Sphere, which does give it a solid fighting chance, but it's still an odd decision to make when you have a Lucario waiting in the wings. Granted, this is assuming Togekiss wasn't sent out against Gliscor instead, though that in turn would imply that Glaceon was defeated by a Pokemon with a quarduple weakness to its STAB, which to be fair again is totally possible just like the outcome of Golem vs Lucario thanks to Gliscor's access to a multitude of attacks that are super-effective against Ice, but that still doesn't really make for a very good look on Bidoof's trainer either, so I guess you can pick to believe whichever scenario is most believable/palatable to you XD

And as for the opposing trainer, even though the outcome was ultimately in his favor, sending out a Golem against a Lucario when you have a Staraptor (which is a far better matchup) in the back is still an odd decision. And once again, that guy taught Hyper Beam to his Staraptor, which is a pretty terrible move on it. So yeah, it's safe to say that neither trainer was very smart here.

IT WAS A GIRL???
Yeah, male Bidoofs have five bumps on their tails while females only have three, and the protagonist Bidoof of this short only had three bumps, meaning that yes, she's a girl :)

Ayo that was genuinely good. Love the animation and art style, it was so vibrant and expressive. It also balanced serious and comedic moments well, damn I was actually invested in that. In just 6 minutes they gave Bidoof a complete character arc. She started as a pokemon that had talent and determination, but nobody appreciated it. Then she gets exiled, wants friends and to battle, finally getting an opportunity with a trainer. But she's taken for granted yet again, just being used for menial tasks. But alas, she's finally given the opportunity to prove herself against the pokemon that she couldn't defeat in the first place. Was not expecting that much characterisation, for a Bidoof of all things.

Great stuff, I kinda feel bad for all the HM slaves now

Last edited:
Bidoof left her home to be a HM slave. Like all bidoofs caught in the games, of course she would be either a HM slave or rot in a box. The only explanation for her to beat golem and staraptor is that Lucario left golem with 1 hp, and golem only resisted due to sturdy, then staraptor was also a hm slave that was caught recently. Or it was alread weakened from another battle and called back. Or both. Bidoof still leveled up because of exp share, so she could defeat staraptor with rollout + critical hit.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom