• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Black 2/White 2 Travelog (Read First Post)

Joshawott

The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
So, some of you are already playing Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokémon White Version 2 (you lucky buggers!). This is the place to report your progress - like a diary, except with less of the "Oh, why won't [X] love me like I love them?" and more Pokémon.

So yeah, this is where you report your current progress in GameFreak's new exciting sequel pair. However, please remember the house rules:
  • 1) Do not talk about Fight Club
  • 2) Only make a new post after every 3 posts, otherwise, use the edit button and edit your new comments in. Warnings/Infractions for Pointless Post will be given out otherwise, so you have been warned.
  • 3) Please post at least two sentences worth of material. We don't want to see single line posts like "Sewaddle GET!", as awesome as Sewaddle are.
  • 4) Have fun!

I just left the home town and have begun to trek through Route 19. I chose Tepig, though I swore on day one of B/W that I would never have anything to do with it. I've never used Growlithe before so I might even start over with Snivy or Oshawott (just so I don't repeat a type). Who knows. All I know is that I would love a Flygon by game's end.

Well, right now I already have all 8 badges and just finished the first Kyurem event. I also just wanted to say how much I love Shizui's town, the part with the huts over the water is awesome. Also, the cut scene of Kyurem transforming was epic.

Now that I finished that, I'm going to go back to Shizui's town to heal up and train a bit in the water and make my way to route 23 to get Flamethrower and make my way to Victory Road.

My game just arrived through the door! I am so hyped!

Named my character Zeb. Called my rival Hue (I'm so imaginitive).

I got my Snivy, an adamant female called Salad (Coil set ftw) and just caught an adamant Patrat called Hyuck (which I will ditch after beating Cheren). :p So all is going well.

Going to murder beat some Purrloin in preparation for Cheren's gym now!

Edit: Oh, and you can go to route 20(?) before facing Cheren, so you can have a Sunkern, Pidove or Sewaddle too. I was complaining about Patrat and Purrloin only being on the first route because I thought those were your only choice before Cheren, but it appears not. And now Sanji Ranch too! OK, I thought we only had the choice of Purrloin and Patrat before the first gym, clearly I was wrong. This is great.

Last edited:
Got through Sangi ranch yesterday, and I'm still raging about the fact that I lost a chance at riolu. Water gun first, then tackle. Was expecting a slim red bar, got zero HP instead with a critical hit tackle.

Just beat the League! Iris was actually not too hard for me, my Pokemon were the same leveled as hers and I was lucky enough to get some good critical hits in. I have to say, the main story of the whole game was pretty lengthy and I really enjoyed it. But I guess it still sort of continues as still need to go get Zekrom, Kyurem etc, and I believe I need to battle Akuroma and the Shadow Triad again too. But right now, I'm off to the cave to get the pixies out. I'm at it now, it took me quite a while to find it because I didn't realize you needed waterfall for it.

Got through Sangi ranch yesterday, and I'm still raging about the fact that I lost a chance at riolu. Water gun first, then tackle. Was expecting a slim red bar, got zero HP instead with a critical hit tackle.

Riolu took me near 30 minutes to find, no joke. It was so annoying, but it was worth it since my Lucario has been a beast throughout the game. Finding Eevee in that grass area outside of the Castellia sewers took very long too.

My boyfriend and I just started playing a couple of hours ago (I'm playing Black 2 and he's playing White 2).

I'm playing as the female - just stuck to the default names for her and the rival. I chose Tepig as my starter, who is female and called Polka. She's got a Gentle nature (don't really know what that does for her though, I'm not up to scratch on stuff like that). I chose Tepig because I've never raised one before (did both Snivy and Oshawott in the prequel games) so it's nice to play with something different this time around, adds to the whole "newness" of the game. I'm planning on raising a full team of six of Pokémon that I've never raised before - given the amount available, it should prove to be fairly interesting. As soon as I could, I caught an Azurill - also female, called Moomi and with a Jolly nature. Just got through the Ranch bit the now and am currently levelling up in preparation for battling Cheren. Azurill is proving to be a challenge for my patience though - I've never raised one before and honestly didn't think it would be as tough as this...

Just at the start of Route 20, there are two ledges that you can hop down to get back to Sangi Town. Nearby, there is an inaccessible Pokéball item. Took me ages trying to figure out how to get to it and then it occurred to me - snow. Presumably, in winter, snowfall will make it accessible. Can't wait to see what other areas are affected by snow and what they change in terms of newly accessibly areas. Getting a bit off-topic though, but I wish they would do more with the seasonal changes in terms of accessible areas (maybe in summer, more trees could sprout making the area layout different again - stuff like that).

I've been running round the farm for a bit while training, but haven't come across any Riolu (not that I want one, but everyone seems to be talking about whether they've found one or not). My boyfriend, on the other hand, as soon as he went into the grass in the ranch, first patch of grass and he came across a Riolu! I had a similar experience with Skitty when I first played Sapphire - had no idea how hard a find it was until much later, but that's not for here.

We're both really enjoying the games - loving all the little details in the towns like the little cracks on the pathways in Sangi Town and the tire treads - I hope they've upped other areas aesthetically too (like how some cities in Diamond//Pearl changed a little bit in the jump to Platinum). Anyways, onwards for more training. Gonna train. Gonna beat Cheren. Gonna go to Virbank. Gonna catch a Magnemite!!

EDIT ~ Got Tepig up to LV15 and Azurill is only LV11. Having a real tough time levelling up Azurill on the local wild Pokémon - she's not gaining much EXP. Gonna go a take on Cheren so I can move on to an area with more Trainers to help Azurill level up a bit more. On a side note here, not sure if there was anything similar in the prequels, but the Trainer's School is so cool - sunset light coming in through the window - loving the wee aesthetic details!

EDIT ~ I won against Cheren! WOOHOO!!! It was actually pretty tough - he kept using Work Up which made for quite a difficult match and the using of a lot of potions on my part. Still, I won so I can't complain. Getting Return from Bianca has somehow turned my Azurill into a deadly weapon - it's killing everything with Return and getting constant Critical Hits! WTF?! Hope this means she'll be evolving soon!! Anyways, onwards to Virbank City and my future Magnemite!

EDIT ~ Absolutely love Virbank City! LOVE IT!!! Caught myself a Magnemite - very helpful in Homika's Gym, just took out everything with no bother at all with its Sonic Boom. Called my Magnemite Zonio. Both Tepig and Azurill have now evolved too. Pokéwood was basically just a huge WTF?! moment for me... not loving it at all... maybe I'll warm to it... eventually...
So, now I'm at Castelia City. Not really impressed by the fact that it hasn't changed so much aesthetically (I know they've added a lot to it like the sewers and such, but I would've thought they would've updated it a little bit visually too in a more generic sense). Regardless, is still nice to see it again. If it weren't just two years ago that BW came out, I'd feel almost nostalgic. Entered the Game Freak HQ building and spoke to Morimoto. Really did not expect a battle at all and was really shitting myself because I have no Pokémon over LV20 yet! Thankfully, he seems to just be using the elemental monkeys all at LV14 *phew*

EDIT ~ Visited pretty much every building and spoke to every person in Castelia now. My Marill evolved into Azumarill and is now LV20. Magnemite is now also at LV20, with Pignite just behind at LV18. Thinking I need to catch another team member soon - will defo need a Flying type so I may raise a Zubat all the way to Crobat and use him. Be good because I can pick one up in the sewers. I've raised a Crobat before though, but not since old Gold so I think it's defo worth re-visiting this monster! Anyways, that's me for the night - will get back to it tomorrow.

Have fun playing your games everyone!

Just editing this post with regards to my above comment about Route 20 and the seasonal changes - turns out it is not snow, but in Autumn when the leaves all fall - glad to see that that is a new seasonal change!

Last edited:
I've been taking my time in Sangi Ranch just leveling up. I've got every Pokemon available (granted the other starters) up to now.

I currently have a Tepig, Lv. 13; Riolu, Lv. 11; Mareep, Lv. 11; Psyduck, Lv. 8; and a Azurill, Lv. 7 on my team. I think Cheren should be a walk through the park.

Just made it to Castelia. Caught a Koffing, Mareep and a Riolu (along with my Servine) on the way here. The Riolu just evolved after a fight in the Castelia apartments at Lv.19. Woo! Awesome. Now I won't miss out on any of Lucario's awesome moves. :D

Anyway, Cheren was easy. His Patrat was the toughest of the two because all his Lillipup did was use Work Up for five turns while I killed it. Laaaame, Cheren. Homika wasn't hard either, but her Whirlipede hits fairly hard. Her gym is awesome though. I think everyone knows that by now.

Not got an opinion on Pokewood. But that's only because I have no idea what to do. XD

The Virbank Complex was pretty cool. So was Sanji Ranch. Nice to see different places.

Virbank's music reminds me of Pyrite Town's music in Colosseum. Just a little.

Oh, and Servine's sprite is brilliant. The animation, I mean. Made me laugh first time I saw it.

The animated trainer sprites are just plain bad. They barely move. Well, the rival's and gym leader's are fine, but regular trainer's animation are just pointless. I honestly don't even understand why they bothered. There is a janitor with a mop in Sanji Ranch (yeah, I have no idea why either) and all his sprite does is bounce a little. Not impressed.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it so far. It's not too difficult, but I'm sure it'll get harder.

Last edited:
I saw somewhere that you can't trade Pokemon from Black and White 1 over till after the League, can any of you confirm this?

Thought I'd ask people who have the game, hence posting in this thread.

I saw somewhere that you can't trade Pokemon from Black and White 1 over till after the League, can any of you confirm this?

I heard you can do it as soon as you get the C-Gear. And we've seen 2ch players sweeping the game with level 100 Mewtwo.

Since I am on the post-game now, I am going to try and write my posts so no spoilers come out as a lot of you still seem to be in the early parts of the game.

Right now, I just went back to the ruins of N's castle and won the battle to get the Dark Stone. So I now have to make my way to my first post-game location, Icirrus. All the trainers around have taken a good leap in levels to level 60+ compared to the level 45-50'ers before the League. Going to go to Dragonspiral Tower and catch Zekrom once I'm there, and explore the city to see whats new.

Obtained my own White 2 yesterday! Didn't get too far because I was tired, but I'll be playing more tonight! Started with a Tepig, and I was going to soft-reset so I get a girl one, but just like in White version, I didn't have to. :| My Flambe (フランベ-) the Tepig has an Impish nature, which isn't too bad I suppose! I'm about to have Gavin (ガヴィン) head out to the first route. So excited, I can't wait to begin!

(I showed the Katakana because I'm not sure I transliterated them correctly. o_o; I sure hope I did, I picked some real tricky nicknames this time around.)

Last edited:
Good morning!

Been playing for a couple of more hours this morning. Loving the Castelia Sewers, but the constant Zubat attacks really got on my nerves after a while... not because they were Zubat, just because it was so constant and it was the same over and over and over again. I decided to take the double battle time in the sewers to level up Pignite (Polka) and Magnemite (Zonio) a bit. Using Pignite, came across wild Zubat and Rattata. So, naturally, use Arm Thrust on Rattata. Rival says no. He has his Dewott use Razor Shell on Rattata, killing it in one hit and leaving me using Arm Thrust on Zubat. This happened every time. Same situation with Magnemite. I'd go to use Thundershock on Zubat, but Rival would attack it and I'd wind up using it on either a Rattata or a Grimer. This made these battles get unnecessarily dragged out a fair bit.

However, still loved the sewers though - fantastic addition. In the cave, I decided to catch a Woobat (rather than going for Zubat like I was going to). Caught a female and called her Koko. Also caught a Sunkern, just for using Cut until I get something else though. Was a bit disappointed by the little park area... was expecting something a little bit... bigger to be honest. Reminds of the National Park from Johto a little bit because the grass and the tree makes a kind-of sideways Pokéball shape. Also, while there, I was churning for some rustling grass for Audino to give Woobat a little bit of an EXP boost to help her catch up, came across a Whimsicott instead! Opted not to catch it though, but got Woobat to levels so it was all good!

I absolutely adore Burgh's new gym - the string shot webs, the sucking up and down - very much felt like playing snakes and ladders! I love his little room up the top too - just adore it! I love Bug Pokémon too (not a single bug type I dislike in the slightest) and I've just completed a digital art degree so I really felt something a little bit more being in his gym because it is just how I would have mine! It also helps that Burgh is my favourite Gym Leader too! *yummy yummy*

Anyways, taking a break for some much needed food. I can't wait to get back to it and check out how Route 4 is looking!

EDIT ~ Been back and playing for a few hours. I won against Burgh, forgot to mention that earlier.
Route 4 was okay... still seems to be doing a lot of construction... not really sure what the point of the update was for it then apart from aesthetic progression. What I mean is, I don't understand why they only did half of it really and left the other side still under construction. I've noticed a few folk saying the game feels unfinished and like there is still more... this gives me that feeling of unfinished. Still, is a pretty nice change. My main gripe with Route 4 is going from city full of buildings to a route with buildings and then to another city with buildings... I loved the old Route 4 from BW because it broke up the bits with buildings, whereas they've kinda lost a chunk of that with this update and I'm not sure I like so much anymore. Still, not gonna stop me enjoying the game!
I made it to Nimbasa at last, did all I could do in the desert and the two routes next to Nimbasa. I love love love the Hidden Hollows. The first one where Bianca shows you what to do and whatnot, I encountered Minccino (but I guess that's the same for everyone) and in the Lostlorn Forest one, I found a Damp Mulch!! MULCH?! WTF?!?! But why Mulch and no Berry planty bits? I miss planting berries all across the region - hated it in HG//SS. But, that's going off-topic.
So now I've managed to get all of my main team - Pignite, Azumarill, Magnemite and Woobat - all up to LV30 to challenge the Nimbasa City Gym! While training, my Woobat also evolved into Swoobat and Magnemite is now a Magneton! Can't wait to get to Chargestone Cave to turn it into Magnezone. Can't decide on who my final two team members should be though...

EDIT ~ Reading the post below reminded me of something - I encountered a Trapinch in the desert and had Azumarill at the top of my party, so she was sent out first. I wasn't really paying attention, but when I looked at the screen I had to stop for a moment and think about what game I was playing- I genuinely though I was back in Emerald!
Also, I best Elesa. I LOVE HER GYM MORE THAN BURGH'S!!!!!!! Sorry for the caps but I think her Gym is the absolutely best! Love love love the music so much - "GIMME WHAT I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!"

EDIT ~ Don't all jump on me for saying this, I am in no way suggesting anything at all, but the office buildings in Driftveil City really put me in mind of the office buildings in Rustboro City for some reason. I love all of the aesthetic changes in Driftveil City - really a nice look for the place. Also, sorry for sticking on the R//S//E references, but another thing that reminded me of the games was the Parasol Ladies on Unova Route 6 using the Castform - parallels the Parasol Lady using Castform on Hoenn Route 120 (again, not saying that that is any kind-of hint at anything, just observing the parallel).

EDIT ~ The World Tournament is awesome!!!!!!! I was a bit miffed about being forced to do it at first because I don't normally like things like that (not a Battle Frontier fan at all really except for some of the more interesting facilities - I like it when it gives a bit more than just regular battling). But, I just loved battling Cheren again so much. Once I was able to, I entered into it again and got to battle Burgh of all people!!!!!!! I'm going to be at this place for a while to come and probably won't progress with anything until tomorrow! In other news, both my Pignite and Magneton have no evolved into Emboar and Magnezone (took a detour to Chargestone Cave before battling Clay). I also took the opportunity to teach my Azumarill Ice Punch, which really helped me get through the Gym - she decimated everything! Speaking of the Gym, I loved the puzzle in it - genius!

Last edited:
Kyouhei_OD.png
Zeb's Log!:

Team:
servine.png
Salad: Lv.26
Male | Overgrow | Adamant
Return / Leaf Tornado / Leech Seed / Growth
flaaffy.png
Bleet: Lv.26
Female | Static | Timid
Thundershock / Electro Ball / Return / Thunder Wave
koffing.png
Boomb: Lv.26
Female | Levitate | Docile
Return / Venoshock / Assurance / Poison Gas
lucario.png
Seth: Lv.27
Male | Steadfast | Jolly
Force Palm / Rock Tomb / Quick Attack / Work Up
sandslash.png
Pan Lv.26
Male | Sand Veil | Brave
Dig / Magnitude / Rock Tomb / Crush Claw
heracross.png
Ares Lv.24
Male | Swarm | Brave
Aerial Ace / Chip Away / Rock Tomb / Counter

So, I'm at Nimbasa City now. But...

Castelia City is much bigger now with the park area and the sewers... Oh, that's right the sewers, which are probably the single most annoying place ever >.< Zubat and Rattata double battles every three steps. With the occasional Grimer. I like the idea of the sewers, but they are so annoying.

Burgh's gym was really easy. The puzzle is awesome though. Not in terms of its difficulty, but in terms of the concept. And his gym's music is really weird. Anyway, I sent out Lucario first and Worked Up for 5 turns (Swadloon can't touch Lucario). Then just killed off his team with Quick Attack or Force Palm. Simple.

I like Route 4 a lot now it's been revamped. IT looks like there is a lot of construction still going on though...

Bumped into Team Plasma and Achroma a few times. Showed them who's boss.

I decided I wanted a Sandshrew when I found out that its movepool had changed in B2W2 (gained Magnitude and Earthquake through levelling whereas previously it only learnt Sand Tomb for Ground STAB through levelling). So I went and caught one of those and trained it up because Sandslash is a dude. Desert Resort is pretty meh. Found a few shards there though, which is neat. OH, and I ran into a Trapinch and got excited because I forgot that line was in the game. Derp.

Went to Lostlorn Forest straight away after entering Nimbasa. The wild pokemon and trainer levels have been jacked up since BW, just warning any of you that aren't there yet. Lv.25 Watchog trainer using Hypnosis and Confuse Ray really irritated me. I was planning on catching a Combee for my team, but I didn't find one at all... instead I found a Heracross! :D So I'm taking that, yes sir. Now I need to train him up more. I want all my team around Lv.28/Lv.29 before I go take on the gym. It learns Brick Break next level, which will be fun.

Also, Pokemon Breeders are infinitely rebattleable now. There's one on Route 4 who just kept challenging me over and over and over. It'll be helpful during the main game, but afterwards I can see it becoming an annoying pain in the rear.

Oh, and I'm still annoyed at the silly trainer sprite animations - which are incredibly lame. Not happy with those.

We have a Simple Question Simple Answer thread in this subforum specifically for B2W2 questions like this: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f650/simple-questions-simple-answers-thread-130604/

You can use that next time.

Totally annoyed playing the World Tournament. I was battling the Unova gym leaders, and got to the finals TWICE against Drayden. He got 2 critical hits in the first battle which practically sent my Pokemon packing since he was using outrage. The second time, my Latios missed then he got a critical hit and then my Espeon got to his last Pokemon with only one more hit to go until he used Outrage again. Agh, I'm just eager to battle the older Gym Leaders so I hope third time is lucky.

EDIT: Third time was lucky! This time I battled Brycen in the finals and 1 hit KO'ed all of his ice Pokemon with my Lucario's Aura Sphere. Pretty lame that you just get 1BP for winning that tournament. I realized I forgot to battle my rival in Undella, so I went back there and got HM06 from him and defeated him. Then the sage came and said something but I have no clue what, they just stand therein Undella now. Any ideas anyone? Going to go and battle the Shadow Triad now in Iccirus before I forget, as I've been meaning to do that too.

Also, I've been checking quite a few Hidden Hallow's daily and came across a level 55 Kingler in the one on Route 18 today! I really do love the ideas of Hidden Hallows, I really enjoy it.

Last edited:
Beat Clay in his Goron music-themed gym, competed in the World Tournament, and did some offscreen training in chargestone cave. I am supposed to be in the plasma ship after the world tournament but whatever. However what made my day was finding a shiny Klink during training and catching it! There is a feeling of satisfaction when you find and capture shinnies legally! :)

Been progressing rather slowly for various reasons. Arrived a while back in Nimbasa; currently battling all the trainers in the domes. Both of the happiness-induced evolutions occurred; I kinda expected I'd need to wait for them for a while still. Not much else to say except obvious plot related things.

[div="background-color: #081629; width: 60%; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; text-align: center;"]

[div="border: 4px solid white; border-radius: 7px; background-color: #2B58D6; color: white; text-shadow: 1px 1px 0px #888; text-align: left; padding: 4px;"][span="float: right; border-radius: 4px; background-color: #1C49C6; border-bottom: 4px solid #0731A6; border-top: 4px solid #0731A6;"]
Spr_B2W2_Mei.png
[/span]
TRAINER'S CARD
[div="margin: 1px 2px 1px 5px;"][span="float: right;"]ことみ Kotomi[/span]なまえ Name[/div][div="background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0.2); border-left: 3px solid #F7DF89; text-align: right; margin: 1px 2px;"]パラソルおねえさん Parasol Lady[/div][div="background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0.2); border-left: 3px solid #F7DF89; margin: 1px 2px;"][span="float: right;"]ひかえめ Modest[/span]せいかく Nature[/div][div="margin: 1px 2px 1px 5px;"][span="float: right;"]59ひき[/span]ずかん Pokédex[/div][div="clear: both; margin: 1px 2px 1px 5px;"][span="float: right;"]40358円[/span]おこずかい Money[/div][div="margin: 1px 2px 1px 5px;"][span="float: right;"]10976[/span]IDNo.[/div][div="margin: 1px 2px 1px 5px;"][span="float: right;"]14:24[/span]プレイじかん Play Time[/div][div="background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0.2); border-left: 3px solid #F7DF89; margin: 1px 2px;"]おかあさん だいすき! おとうさん も すき!
I like my mom a lot! I like my dad, too![/div][/div]
[div="border: 2px solid white; background-color: #102B52; margin-bottom: 0.5em; color: white; text-shadow: 1px 1px 0px #888; border-radius: 10px 0px / 20px 0px; text-align: center;"][span="float: left; padding: 0 10px;"]
Ani507MS.png

Lv.21[/span] ハーデリア
Sand Stream
Held_icon_IV.png

[div="clear: both;"]
BiteTake Down
StrengthDig
[/div][/div]
[div="border: 2px solid white; background-color: #102B52; margin-top: 0.5em; color: white; text-shadow: 1px 1px 0px #888; border-radius: 10px 0px / 20px 0px; text-align: center;"][span="float: left; padding: 0 10px;"]
Ani520MS.png

Lv.21[/span] ハトーボー
Super Luck
Held_icon_IV.png

GustRoost
Air CutterQuick Attack
[/div][/div]
[div="border: 2px solid white; background-color: #102B52; margin-bottom: 0.5em; color: white; text-shadow: 1px 1px 0px #888; border-radius: 10px 0px / 20px 0px; text-align: center;"][span="float: left; padding: 0 10px;"]
Ani081MS.png

Lv.22[/span] コイル
Sturdy
Held_icon_IV.png

Magnet BombSupersonic
SparkSonicBoom
[/div][/div]
[div="border: 2px solid white; background-color: #102B52; margin-top: 0.5em; color: white; text-shadow: 1px 1px 0px #888; border-radius: 10px 0px / 20px 0px; text-align: center;"][span="float: left; padding: 0 10px;"]
Ani542MS.png

Lv.22[/span] ハハコモリ
Chlorophyll
Held_icon_IV.png
Miracle Seed
Bug BiteCut
Razor LeafTackle
[/div][/div]
Ani448MS.png

Lv.22[/span] ルカリオ
Steadfast
Held_icon_IV.png
Quick Claw
Force PalmQuick Attack
EndureCounter
[/div][/div]
Ani502MS.png

Lv.22[/span] フタチマル
Torrent
Held_icon_IV.png
Mystic Water
Shell BladeWater Gun
DigTackle
[/div][/div]
[/div]

Plans are to replace Dewott with Lapras eventually and to include Litwick into the team somehow, probably by ditching Herdier. Also switching Tranquill to Archen or Swablu, most probably Archen, once I'll get my hands on one. Leavanny's future is a bit unclear; I might keep it or I might ditch in favour of something else. I kinda noticed I'm developing a rather alarming Fire-type weakness across my team, after all.

Also, I wasted at least twenty times as long into prettifying that status thing as it took to write the text itself. :p

Last edited:
As I feared, the post-game seems to be a bit lacking. After you do the plot related things such as defeat rival at Undella, battle Shadow Triad, defeat Akuroma at the Frigate again, catch Zekrom/Kyurem etc there isn't much left to do other than the daily/weekly events and the PWT. I haven't tried the Black Skyscrapper thing yet, so I hope thats fun. I still have to catch a few legendaries too like Regirock, the Lake Trio (I've already released them from the cave), Cresellia and Heatran too. But the post-game is still much better than the B/W post-game which felt like it had nothing to do at all.

I have to admit though, I am having a blast playing through the World Tournament, its really fun. It would have been nice if there was more variety of things to exchange BP's for though, like maybe some rare Pokemon? That would be really cool. Anyway, I'm just going to keep filling up my Unova Dex so I can go to the Nature Sanctuary and also keep playing through the World Tournament.

My team now is currently sitting at:

Polka the Emboar, LV44 ~ Gentle nature, holding Charcoal. Moves: Strength // Arm Thrust // Flamethrower // Smog. Ability ~ Blaze.
Moomi the Azumarill, LV44 ~ Jolly nature, holding Leftovers. Moves: Aqua Ring // Surf // Ice Punch // Return. Ability ~ Huge Power.
Zonio the Magnezone, LV45 ~ Rash nature, holding Magnet. Moves: Spark // Flash Cannon // Electro Ball // Sonic Boom. Ability ~ Magnet Pull.
Koko the Swoobat, LV45 ~ Sassy nature, holding TwistedSpoon. Moves: Attract // Fly // Assurance // Psychic. Ability ~ Unaware.
Skoru the Drapion, LV44 ~ Quirky Nature, holding nothing. Moves: Bug Bite // Poison Fang // Night Slash // Cut. Ability ~ Sniper.

I intend to catch a Druddigon as my final team member, purely to balance out the combination of "old" Pokémon (Gens 1 to 4) and "new" Pokémon (Gen 5). Also, to balance out genders if I catch a male one (Emboar, Azumarill and Koko are all female; Magnezone is genderless; Drapion and Druddigon are male). Dunno why, but I prefer when my team is balanced in things like that.

Anyways, yesterday I played all the way from Driftveil City to Undella Town. When I reached Mistralton City, I opted to do some levelling up on the route to the north before challenging the Gym. A little disappointed by the lack of aesthetic changes in Mistralton, the route and Celestial Tower, but I guess I can't really complain so much given that there have been so many other changes in areas like Driftveil City and Undella Town. Not sure if I prefer the big changes in only certain areas over the more generic changes in all areas (like seen in going from Diamond and Pearl to Platinum). Regardless, still tons of fun to play!

I really liked the new puzzle in Sjyla's Gym - way better than the cannons! Wasn't too fussed about the flying cut scene going from Mistralton City to Yamaji Town. It was nice, but basically the same as the boat cut scene. I realise that they've done a lot with this game, but after the boat cut scene, the plane one just felt a bit samey because it was just the same really with a little less magnificence (Castelia city being replaced by generic mountain and tree). I get that maybe in that regard that there was nothing that could be done, but it felt to me that I could've been something more there. I was really hoping to get a top-down shot and see some parts of Unova way way below.

The Stranger's House really freaked me out - I loved it for the atmosphere it was creating, but hated it because it was freaking my the hell out!! I kept flashing back to Paranormal Activity 3 wherein one scene when the woman steps back into the kitchen and all the furniture and appliances and everything is just gone and then it all crashes down. I couldn't help but keep that scene in my mind while playing through there and it really genuinely terrified me! But, that's a massive plus for this game in my books - no other Pokémon has generated that degree of atmosphere for me or drawn out that much feeling from me. I hope they continue down a path like that.

I enjoyed the Rebirth Mountain with Bianca. It reminded me of Stark Mountain because it felt so vast - it wasn't the biggest or most exciting cave network experience in a Pokémon game, but it certainly felt massive to me. For that reason, I seemed to enjoy it more than other cave treks because it was more about an atmosphere that was being generated that was filling me with that feeling of vastness, as opposed to an actual massive cave that physically gives that feeling but is actually just a chore to play through. I dunno if I've explained that right, but I definitely feel that the PTB of Pokémon should focus some of their aesthetic efforts on these elements, purely because they've really enhanced the experience for me personally.

Moving onwards, Undella Town is gorgeous as it is now. I haven't played much since hitting Undella, so can't comment to much about it and the surrounding areas. But, my initial reaction to Undella Town as it is now is just plain "wow" - it looks stunning, so much developed since the prequel games and it just suits it. Once again, same as with Route 4, it seems like there is still some construction going on.

EDIT ~ Just did my Hidden Hollows this morning and found two hidden items - a Red Shard and a Big Mushroom - and a Pokéball item - a Great Ball. So exciting these places are! I wish there was some indication of regeneration rates, but it seems to be pretty random to me - I have access to five hollows as of this morning. On Tuesday, I had access to four and did them all at the same time. By Wednesday morning, all four had regenerated their contents. However, this morning (Thursday), only two of them have regenerated their contents (not counting the new one I discovered this morning obviously)... wonder when the other two will regenerate...

EDIT ~ Been focusing on the Hidden Hollows a little bit today - can't stop checking them for new things. I've found both Damp Mulches and Stable Mulches, as well as a PP Up, another Big Mushroom, a Super Potion and a Repel.
Made it from Undella Town to Lacunosa Town. Really feeling like Route 13 in between them has changed slightly, or maybe I just have a bad memory of it from BW? Lacunosa Town seems like it has less in it this time around actually. Same with Route 12 between it and the Village Bridge - less trainers. Can't seem to find the Hidden Hollow on Route 12 either...
I'm liking the changes to the Village Bridge. That's about as far as I've gotten so far. I updated the start of this post to reflect the changes in levels and whatnot since I first posted this this morning. Hoping that tomorrow I'll clear by Opelucid Gym, but don't think I'll get much further than that.
Anyways, hope everyone is enjoying their travels!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom