• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Black and White Music Discussion

Do you like the music so far?

• Total voters
Re: How do you like the music in the game?

The music was excellent, some of the best the series has done. Two standout tracks for me are the theme for route 6-9, and the final battle with Ghetsis (though is it me or does it kind of sound like the chorus is saying Dennis).

Okay, after completing the game, the music is too awesome to not thoroughly comment on. In no particular order (WARNING: pathetically long)

Some of the character and trainer encounter themes are very nice/catchy.

Juniper's, Cedric's (his is a remix of his daughter's, I think), Cheren's, Bianca's, Alder's, N's, Ghetsis', etc. Looker's theme is also a massive earworm too although I think his was taken from Platinum, not a new one. I especially like Juniper's theme.

The Village Bridge music is very soothing with all the instruments and the vocals. One of my favourites. I love training there. It has a nostalgic feel, like the Eterna City/Celestic Town music. Glad to hear it in the anime.

Opelucid City in White is wonderful, and so is Black's version. If you listen closely, you'll notice they have the same melody.

Accumula Town's music with the piano and drums made me not want to leave. One of my favourites.

Driftveil City's seems to be a favourite, and I don't disagree. Certainly unique and up there on one of my favourites of B/W.

I think I heard that N's Toy Room was supposed to sound like a music box, and it does sound like one -- a very creepy, disturbing one that makes you feel sympathy for N. A nice remix of N's encounter theme.

Celestial Tower's (I know it plays in the Giant Chasm and possibly other places too, I can't remember) is very fitting. I heard it in the anime first. Always a nice feeling when you recognize a piece.

Route 10 has what might be my favourite route music ever. Too bad the route is so short, and it doesn't play anywhere else.

Route 4's adventurous (I think I spelled that wrong) music reminds me of Johto's Route 38/39.

Lostlorn Forest. Can't really describe it, just listen to it.

Nuvema Town has very sleepy-ish music, even for a hometown. Doesn't surpass Pallet and New Bark for my favourites, but still nice.

Surf music is the best yet, in my opinion. Looks like they dropped the waltz-y feel this time, but that's not why I like it. I just like how energetic it is.

Dreamyard/Pinwheel Forest/Moor of Icirrus/possibly some other places I haven't visited or don't remember is relaxing and mysterious, just like it should be. One of my favourites of B/W.

N's Farewell. Most emotional track of the main series imo. I want to give him a hug T_T

Emotion (the music that plays when Bianca's father comes to take her home) is a favourite from what I've seen. Does anyone know if it plays at any other points of the game?

Plasma Grunt battle, Final N battle, Ghetsis battle, Gym Leader & Gym Leader - Last Pokémon, Elite Four, unused Kanto Champion remix - all (excuse the word) epic. Plasma Grunt battle music is an earworm. Also, the victory music that plays afterwards is pleasant.

Some say the Champion battle music isn't fitting, but I disagree. It doesn't have that grand-finale-ultimate-showdown-most-intense-battle-of-the-year feeling like the other Champion music because, well, I don't think it's supposed to be that way. I mean, you already know who the Champion is, and the battle is supposed to be a passionate but fun one, and I think the music reflects that.

I like the sound of the waves in the Spring/Autumn/Winter version of Undella Town's music. In the summer, it sounds tropical-y!

Victory Road's music made the experience less of a pain. I still like Hoenn's the best though.

Did you notice the slight differences in Reshiram and Zekrom's battle music?

N's Castle and Castle Bridge - I wish you could return there post-game. Very fitting for the situation at the time.

I like the use of ah...dissonance in the legendary battle music.

Black City sounds like a dance with death...

The ones I have a problem with are Castelia and Nimbasa's. Not because they're bad; (in fact, I like them a lot and think they capture the feel of their respective locations very well) but because they're so short and so repetitive for their large size and number of attractions. Why, oh why did they have to give the shortest theme to the biggest city? (in the case of Castelia)

I would type more but I have to go. Wow, I have no life.

Whenever I wish to relax, I just put on the Lacunosa Town theme.

I could listen to that track for days.

I usually don't listen to the music on most of the Pokémon games, & this goes for all of the generations, here. Most of the time, I prefer to play them whilst watching TV or listening to my mp3s. Sure, call me wierd if you so desire...

Fennel said:
The ones I have a problem with are Castelia and Nimbasa's. Not because they're bad; (in fact, I like them a lot and think they capture the feel of their respective locations very well) but because they're so short and so repetitive for their large size and number of attractions. Why, oh why did they have to give the shortest theme to the biggest city? (in the case of Castelia)
Eh, that's true. They could've played the loop twice and then have a short different tune. Maybe they just felt lazy...?

I see very little love (or hate, or comments in general) for the Entralink theme here; I assume it's just because many haven't been to there yet. Everyone should totally go check it out :p [/ad]

Anyone else pissed that the remix of the RB champion theme is not on the soundtrack?
Besides that, the Subway battle theme is really good. I like how the beat gets stronger and faster the farther you go.

I realized something, when you move on a route, drums play in the background, and when you go inside a cave, like Wellspring Cave, the music gets slower as you go further down.
Edit: I just realized Serebii added a page about what I just said...

Last edited:
I realized something, when you move on a route, drums play in the background, and when you go inside a cave, like Wellspring Cave, the music gets slower as you go further down.

I too figured this out when I was looking for Audino to grind on.

... that was phrased awkwardly...

^^ :unworthy:

I've been listening to this theme on YouTube for hours on end while surfing the Internet. IT IS GREATNESS IN AUDIO FORM! A true eargasm.

My new list:

Accumula Town (with piano & drums)
Castelia City
Nimbasa City
Driftveil City
Opelucid City (White)
Route 10
Entralink
Village Bridge (with all musical additions)
Lacunosa Town
White Forest

Black City
Pinwheel Forest
Celestial Tower
Skyarrow Bridge
Battle Subway

Almost all Wild Encounters/Trainer/Boss/Legendary Themes
N's Final Battle
Cynthia Sinnoh Remix
Kanto Champion Remix

Bianca

Cheren
Araragi
Alder
N

Emotion
Bike
Surf
GAME FREAK's Team Rocket theme unlock
Ending Credits

Yeah.. so basically almost all the pieces of the game. They're all spectacular.

Bolded are honorary mentions.

Last edited:
When Diamond/Pearl came out, I was like, "Man, this is the best Pokémon soundtrack since the original games!" Then HeartGold/SoulSilver came out and I fell in love with the remixes and new themes used in there. Now with Black/White, I feel like it's one-upped the others yet again. I especially love the rival battle theme and the remix of the classic theme that plays when you've got a gym leader down to their last Pokémon.

I've always felt the OSTs cut the songs way too short, sadly. I take it from what's being said here that Black/White's OST is much the same, huh? That's disappointing to hear, but I'm curious if the alternate instrumentation versions of songs are available on the soundtrack at all or anything like that? Meaning, is there a version of Accumula Town without accompaniment, and with piano/drums, or what?

Finding the different people that change the instrumentation of the area's theme is one of my favorite additions to the Black and White soundtrack, and I'd be doubly sad if this isn't represented in the official soundtrack in some fashion...

I haven't played through all of the game yet, but a majority of the music is good. Some of it pays tribute to more classic Pokémon, such as the Gym Leader Battle last Pokémon theme.

My favorites: Bianca/Cheren battle, Gym Leader Battle, Gym, Surfing, Final N Battle, and Surfing.

Cynthia remixed theme
Gym leader battle
E4 battle
Legendary pokemon battle
N battle
Team Plasma battle

My favorites.

Number 1 would have to be the legendary pokemon battle. It's so epic.

I feel the same way about the route gate music. Man I love that music.

The surf music I think is rather disappointing; I've always loved the surf music (especially in RSE) and I don't find BW's to be particularly memorable.

However, the music that plays on Route 6 (and 7 and 8 too, I think) is the best route music ever, in my opinion.

I'm also rather fond of Driftveil, and Opelucid City (White's version, not so much Black's version; I like how old-timey, kind of western, White's is).

I love how the music seems to have... personality? I guess that's one word for it.. But yeah. It sounds much better than gen IV. Well, the BGM anyway. I do like some of the battle tracks in BW, like the Rival music. But, a lot of the regular battle music is kind of annoying.

Black and White's music is epic! I always used to think Ruby and Sapphire's music was the best, but Black and White have now stolen that title!

The battle themes are more exciting this time around; the Gym battle theme really gets you psyched up and ready to battle. The locations have some really good themes too, especially Driftveil and Opelucid (White). And then there's all the amazing stuff that plays during the climax of the main storyline, won't spoil it for anyone!

I like the way the music occasionally changes too, like when you speak to the two musicians in Accumula Town, and when you're entering Victory Road and all the instruments slowly build up with each room you pass through.

I hate to say it, but the only piece of BW music I'm not really that keen on is the Elite Four battle theme. It's too dark and moody, and lacks emotion somehow. I was expecting something more like the Gym battle theme only more dramatic.

I don't think it actually slows down, it just changes to a lower key. It's quite weird at first, makes you think your DS's power is low!

The music is nothing special. Its just the output quality that makes it sound so good. I gaurantee everyone that if RS music or RBY or GSC music was made with the same quality, people would quickly forget about this games' music.

The music is nothing special. Its just the output quality that makes it sound so good. I gaurantee everyone that if RS music or RBY or GSC music was made with the same quality, people would quickly forget about this games' music.
But... we just had a game which had that music with the same output quality. It was called HG/SS.

Back
Top Bottom