• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Black and White or Black and White 2?

TheCableGuy

Reaction score
So, I'm wondering.

I haven't played either B&W or B&W2 yet but I want to but I don't really want to get both.

I'm wondering if I should get one of the first or the second or maybe just wait until Gen 6.

IMO, BW2 are better than BW in terms of gameplay. BW2's Pokedex includes a lot more pokemon than BW's Pokedex, you can find many older legendaries in BW2, there are plenty of things to do post main plot, unlike BW, and some other things like free shiny dragons, the shiny charm, more locations to visit etc.
On the other hand, since BW2 are sequels to BW it may seem a bit weird playing BW2 without having played BW first.

But if you have to get only one of them, I think you should buy Black2 or White2 tbh.

Get BW and then BW2 so you can appreciate the story. After beating BW, you can Memory Link it to BW2 and get the most out of your game. There's some fantastic stuff in Memory Link.

Get BW and then BW2 so you can appreciate the story. After beating BW, you can Memory Link it to BW2 and get the most out of your game. There's some fantastic stuff in Memory Link.

Yeah, this so much. This is by far the most developed story of every main games, you must play both.

Problem with that is that It'd take me like a Year to play through the first which means they'll likely be into their 2nd series of Gen 6 games before I finish B&W2...

And Then again, I'm just Wanting Moletta.....

Even with how long it might take for you to finish both games, I do think it would be for the best to play Black or White first and then play the sequel game. You can jump into Black 2 or White 2 without playing the first games, but I think it would be much more satisfying to play through the first game to appreciate the whole storyline. Not to mention I think it's more satisfying to see how some of the characters turn out in B2/W2 after playing through the first game. Depending on how often you play the games, they could just take up a couple of months each. That was the case for me with B/W at least, so it might not be too problematic for you to finish the games.

I always considered myself a slow Pokemon player. It took me about a month to beat the B2 main story by playing almost nightly. I beat the original Black in a month and a half and that was because I had some big events and trips get in my way. Some people can beat the games in under a week.

I played Black last summer vacation and purposely finished the storyline within a week so that Black City will have maximum population. However, school days reigned and now there are only 5 trainers in my Black City. T_T But it's fine for me. It's still fun leveling up the rest of my Pokemon with the 2 Exp. Shares in the Pokemon League using my 3-pokemon team Hydreigon, Volcarona, and Milotic :)

Now I have White 2 (lol black 1 and white 2.... reshiram rocks :p ) and finished it just 2 days ago. Now I'm trying to beat Elite four again. The Zorua that you will be given turned out to be my now most powerful member, being at level 72 at the first hall of fame whereas my starter is at level 62 and others in between 55-58

Right now I'm also racking up calls to get a trade offer from the sweet Yancy :)

is the story really that good that you have to play the first ? cause im thinking of buying Black 2 or white 2 aswell. Since the originals are still expensive i dont wanna spend double the money on the same reigon

is the story really that good that you have to play the first ? cause im thinking of buying Black 2 or white 2 aswell. Since the originals are still expensive i dont wanna spend double the money on the same reigon

Both are great, but in terms of uniqueness and plot events, I definitely recommend BW over B2W2 if you cannot get both. It could be just me, but I actually applauded standing up when the credits started to roll in BW - the story was just AWESOME. B2W2 also has a good story as a sequel, but BW had a much stronger impact

Both are great, but in terms of uniqueness and plot events, I definitely recommend BW over B2W2 if you cannot get both. It could be just me, but I actually applauded standing up when the credits started to roll in BW - the story was just AWESOME. B2W2 also has a good story as a sequel, but BW had a much stronger impact

Wow thanks for replying i will probably just go ahead and get the first one , i really wanna see this story for myself :)

While BW2 holds more content and longevity, I feel that its better to start with the original BW and then get BW2 when you can in order to see the whole story. I know someone who got back into PKMN recently and just got the sequels without having played the originals first, and they felt they were missing out a little. So that's the only thing I'll say. BW simply has more to it storywise than BW2, and I feel BW2 is called a sequel for a reason.

Yeah. I hate this whole Sequel concept. It's bad enough that they put out dual versions of the game... but then Put out a dual Sequel?

I use to hate that they would put out the duel versions, then follow it up with a single alternate version but I'm starting to miss that now.

B2W2 should of been a single game but a final sequel to B&W...... If I do buy one of these and they do come out with a 3rd to B2W2..... I swear, I'm going to go Postal.

While I prefer Black and White 2, as other people have said, I think it might be a little weird playing them having not played Black and White 'cause there are a lot of references to the BW storyline. I'd probably go for BW first, then who knows, if you really enjoy them you might get BW2 as well.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom