• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Black and White to be enhanced on 3DS: Full 3D not supported

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm glad i don't need to buy a 3DS for the third version then XD

IGN have specifically said 3D won't be added.

The article didn't specifically say that. Here's the quote from the article:

The 3DS will be backwards compatible with all DS and DSi games. Those games will not be able to display imagery in 3D despite being used on the 3DS. However, some games, most notably Pokémon Black & White, will gain some enhanced functionality when played on the new system. These cases should be considered extremely rare, however.

From the quote, it could be taken either way. :confused:

That's not what I'd call privileged information (sorry Serebii). I mean anything that would have to come from Japan.
Could have easily came from Nintendo of America. Heck, I've heard Reggie talking about the 3DS more than Iwata.

If we do get any pretty 3D, I can imagine battle scenes (due to the angle: See Street Fighter IV).

I wonder what the actual enhanced features are. But because of the 3DS having two cameras, internal memory and everything the DSi has that as of now is exclkusive to it, I bet these "enhanced gameplay" the article refers to is just the DSi features. Which makes sense: the gamecode has been ripped and no one found anything that hasn't been seen, have they?

I mean, I think those features were marketed as "DSi exclusive" back in the day simply because there was no other handheld available at the time. After all, it would be incongruent -not to say lame- to not be enhanced in the 3DS if it has the same features the DSi has. It would be like saying that Game Boy Color exclusive games couldn't be played on the GBA just because they were originally "Only for GBC".

The rest I guess would be ordinary features done the way the 3DS handles them, like the universal freind code and whatnot that has already been mentioned here.

And no, I don't want 3D in BW. The graphics, while beautiful for the DS, are too basic and even primitive for the 3DS and having them in 3D would make them ugly (especially the pixelated back shots). So I'm glad it won't have 3D.

How does this prevent the third version from being on the 3DS?

the 3D wouldn't affect how the game looks that much. It would just put perspective into it.

I made a wishlist of things the 3DS could do for BW, but won't due to Nintendo's franchises track record of having good opportunities but never taking them.

• 3D imagery (at least for the battle scenes)
  • Ability to load custom battle/musical songs from the SD card
  • Pokéwalker system using the 3DS' pedometer
  • Widescreen display for top screen

Anyone else got any thoughts of fancy?

I actually do wonder if they could have a 3D mode hidden within Black and White...because, in an interview the other day Iwata gave, he mentioned how Luigi's Mansion has a 3D mode in it that can be activated if you play it on a certain television, although no one has (as far as I know) found exactly how to activate the 3D.

I actually believe any other hidden data, unless hidden REALLY well, would have been found weeks ago...unless the 3DS feature would be the United Tower.

the 3D wouldn't affect how the game looks that much. It would just put perspective into it.

I made a wishlist of things the 3DS could do for BW, but won't due to Nintendo's franchises track record of having good opportunities but never taking them.

• 3D imagery (at least for the battle scenes)
  • Ability to load custom battle/musical songs from the SD card
  • Pokéwalker system using the 3DS' pedometer
  • Widescreen display for top screen

Anyone else got any thoughts of fancy?

Since BW WERE ALREADY programmed with only the DSi in mind, those features couldn't be achieved even if Nintendo wanted it . However, they could be included in the third version (3D and widescreen would be a given, since those are defaults of the console's hardware). Although to be honest, I've never liked the "replaced the music we made FOR the game with whatever music you want", that kills the "music is part of the work" perspective that every piece of art -including videogames- deserves.

I actually do wonder if they could have a 3D mode hidden within Black and White...because, in an interview the other day Iwata gave, he mentioned how Luigi's Mansion has a 3D mode in it that can be activated if you play it on a certain television, although no one has (as far as I know) found exactly how to activate the 3D.

I actually believe any other hidden data, unless hidden REALLY well, would have been found weeks ago...unless the 3DS feature would be the United Tower.

Except that Luigi's Mansion is being programed specifically for the 3DS, with 3D imagery in mind, whereas BW was programed almost a year ago and wasn'td esigned to suppor it, plus, the game code has already been ripped. If there was such a feature hidden, it would already have been discovered.

So basically if this turns out to be true then Grey and whatever else is in the 5th Gen may be on the 3DS after all. Even if the games are made for the DS and DSi, if it's compatible on the 3DS with similar enhanced features this may be a bit of an option to put Grey on that system.

Let me just say something: If it had something big for the 3ds, then people would have found about it by now. It's probably something small triggered if the system code is 3ds..

If anything, I don't believe the games have 3D Models of all the Pokemon in them...... I mean, seriously, this is a DS cartridge, not one of those 2 GB 3DS carts... I highly doubt B/W's carts can hold both sprites AND 3D Models for all 649 Pokemon (Not to mention there's far more sprites needed than 3D Models given the front and back ones....). Whatever the 3DS enhancements may be, I think the only difference may be full 60 FPS with no slowdowns being the only thing that one could guarentee. I mean, the 3DS dwarfs the DSi in hardware, so a very solid frame rate should be the first thing that comes to mind in a way....

whatever the enhancement could be (don't care how small), I'll be happy.

Maybe it'll be like when The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages came out, and it was designed that although the majority of the game was the same there were a couple of buildings you could only enter if you were playing on a Game Boy Advance, as opposed to the Game Boy Color which it was originally designed for.

Personally, I don't think the 3DS enhancements will be anything major... maybe a new game or a battle feature, but not much.

IGN has updated the article. It now doesn't mention anything about 3DS enhancements and also fixes the bit about when Virtual Console games are coming out. So it looks like they really were mistaken.

If anything, I don't believe the games have 3D Models of all the Pokemon in them...... I mean, seriously, this is a DS cartridge, not one of those 2 GB 3DS carts... I highly doubt B/W's carts can hold both sprites AND 3D Models for all 649 Pokemon (Not to mention there's far more sprites needed than 3D Models given the front and back ones....). Whatever the 3DS enhancements may be, I think the only difference may be full 60 FPS with no slowdowns being the only thing that one could guarentee. I mean, the 3DS dwarfs the DSi in hardware, so a very solid frame rate should be the first thing that comes to mind in a way....

If it had 3d models, they would have been found and extracted in the spritedump threads by now. Same with any other major 3ds enchanments.

This is not a good day for 3DS enthusiasts. It turns out that another website (MeriStation) actually did interview someone from Game Freak (Mana Ibe) about the 3DS and the third version, and she confirmed that the third version will not be released for that system. See here.

I like the use of the words "opposed to the idea". There really wasn't much to the 3DS theory to begin with, was there?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom