• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Black and White to be enhanced on 3DS: Full 3D not supported

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Black and White to be enhanced on 3DS: Full 3D not supported

As some fans had predicted, Pokémon Black and White will have enhanced features if played on Nintendo's 3DS console. However, they will not be able to experience the game in full 3D as expected.

Read more on Bulbanews

I'm predicting that said features are just the "Pass By" C-Gear features being enhanced by using the 3DS' StreetPass feature.

I'm predicting that said features are just the "Pass By" C-Gear features being enhanced by using the 3DS' StreetPass feature.

Same.

Although, I wonder if they could mix friend code exchanging via Pal Pad in there.

I don't think that "full 3D gameplay" was as expected. If anything, I didn't expect 3DS enhancement, to be completely honest! I think that Street Pass is a must and a given. Iwata had implied that it will have functionality on Pokémon games back in the 3DS interviews, in E3. As for other enhancements, I wouldn't bet much on anything other than that, but if I may be optimistic, I guess it could be possible for battles to have a 3D effect, which would go very well with the cameras' optimization BW feature.

Oh well, we shall see!

It was shown a while back that the cartridges have a "TWL" model number meaning that they're only DSi-enhanced, not 3DS-enhanced. IGN was probably referring to the DSi-only features, which can also be used on the 3DS.

It would be nice to be wrong though. The one thing I'd like to see is the games taking advantage of the universal friend code.

Edit: I've noticed a couple other errors in that same article. At one point it mentions that the Virtual Console games are going to be available on Day 1 even though Nintendo confirmed that there won't be any downloadable content until May (and to my knowledge hasn't made any official announcements otherwise). Also, on classic games with added 3D effects, it says "It's currently unknown if these treatments would be featured on the virtual console or if they will make it to any market at all." Satoru Iwata has mentioned a couple times that "3D Classics" will be a part of the eShop. I haven't finished the article yet, but those kinda jumped out at me. Sounds like B/W being 3DS-enhanced was just another mistake on IGN's part.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad because it buys me time!

I hope the third version isn't 3DS exclusive. One thing I hate about the Pokemon fandom is that their speculating drives me insane. That may be because that a lot of fans like to pass their speculations off as true.

Same.

Although, I wonder if they could mix friend code exchanging via Pal Pad in there.
One thing I am curious about is, with the Nintendo DS, Friend Codes are from a combination of the DS and game, so they reset when put in a different DS. As the 3DS uses one universal friendcode, would DS games just use that friendcode?

It was shown a while back that the cartridges have a "TWL" model number meaning that they're only DSi-enhanced, not 3DS-enhanced. IGN was probably referring to the DSi-only features, which can also be used on the 3DS.

It would be nice to be wrong though. The one thing I'd like to see is the games taking advantage of the universal friend code.
Well, did we even know the 3DS existed when we found out about the DSi-enhancement? Also, I don't think we've seen an actual 3DS cartridge.

I dunno...as I've seen other people mention, we've heard nothing about this anywhere else, not even from Japan.

I think it may be a case of them confusing the DSi exclusive features for 3DS ones...

Well, did we even know the 3DS existed when we found out about the DSi-enhancement? Also, I don't think we've seen an actual 3DS cartridge.

Yes, we did. In fact, when video chat was first announced, it was said to only be available on DSi and 3DS. So it's pretty easy for that to be confused as a 3DS-exclusive feature.

Also, Nintendo's cartridge serial numbers always refer to the platform they're for. "TWL" in Black and White's serial number refers to the DSi's code name, "Twilight". If the games were 3DS-enhanced, the serial number would begin with "CTR".

Way to stay positive guys. As for me, I am excited as heck!!! Just another reason atop the humongous pile reasons that Black and White are freaking awesome.

Last edited:
I can predict one of those: Region Locking.

As for the rest of the fandom, pop went your 3ds third version rumors.

The 3ds features will probably be gimmicky, as some GBC games like Zelda could tell if it was running on a GBA, and offered hidden areas.

I don't recall any instance where IGN had privileged information on anything related to Pokémon. But it is possible that Masuda told them something in an interview that is yet to be published.

Awwww shucks, I was hoping for some 3D perspective to add to the sweet battle screen.

This is getting interesting. Real interesting. I guess I'll have to pick up a 3DS and a copy of Black/White/both of them when they both arrive and see for myself.

As for region locking, they already did. DSi-enhanced and up = lock.

I don't recall any instance where IGN had privileged information on anything related to Pokémon. But it is possible that Masuda told them something in the interview that is yet to be published.

Didn't IGN reveal/confirm some of the Pokemon names just a couple of weeks ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom