• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Black and White to feature only Gen V Pokémon pre-National Dex: Feature announced in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Black and White to feature only Gen V Pokémon pre-National Dex: Feature announced

I love how this just means no more Zubat and Geodude in caves and no more Tentacool in water until you beat the E4. JOY.

1280862999862.png

My isshu edition:
zubatisshuedition.png

Re: Black and White to feature only Gen V Pokémon pre-National Dex: Feature announced

Another thing I noticed is that a previous CoroCoro issue claimed a few past generation Pokemon would appear in Isshu. Not a lot, but at least a few. Masuda is conflicting with this. Given that he's been known to exaggerate before (he said wanted to add more action to the series, which only turned out to be the Pokeathelon), and that this information was only posted on his blog and not on the official website or anything, leads me to believe we still will find at least a few old Pokemon.

I especially couldn't see them leaving out the Pikachu and its family, given that it's the mascot of Pokemon.

He never said it wouldn't.

He said no old Pokemon would appear in Isshu. That would include Pikachu.

Piplup was on the same billboard

Torchic is on the Amity Square sign in Platinum. Was it native to Sinnoh? No.

That's a very good point. I forgot about Amity Square.

Another thing I noticed is that a previous CoroCoro issue claimed a few past generation Pokemon would appear in Isshu. Not a lot, but at least a few. Masuda is conflicting with this. Given that he's been known to exaggerate before (he said wanted to add more action to the series, which only turned out to be the Pokeathelon), and that this information was only posted on his blog and not on the official website or anything, leads me to believe we still will find at least a few old Pokemon.

The most logical answer is that the small number of old Pokemon with new evolutions like Luvdisc get a free pass and are considered "Gen V" for the purposes of the Isshudex.

It's not him who exaggerates. He clearly and open-heartedly felt like Pokeathlons were a form of action well-suited to the Pokemon games and the fans just took it in a different angle. Really, we're the morons who like to blow things out of proportion, which could be the case we're seeing here. I'm not going to blame Masuda for anything that we ourselves sheepishly hype up.

On the topic of the thread: Personally, I felt DP did a lot of things wrong. We had new Pokemon mixed with older Pokemon mixed with very "interesting" ways to obtain the old Pokemon, anything from Pal Park, to dual-slot mode, to the National Dex, to swarms, to downloadable Pokemon. All sorts of goofy methods to catching Pokemon that got cluttered into the game. A return to a more simple method of "catch wild Pokemon, fill your Dex" for the main part of the game is my hope. This method of only allowing wild Pokemon to be completely new ones might accomplish that.

I suspect there will be people clamouring to use the Poke Shifter and the Dream World so that they experience all their old favorites once again, and no doubt there will be some exceptions (like Pikachu) based on sheer popularity in where they can be caught. That's all fine. But I am definitely excited at the prospect of getting to experience a truly fresh world.

JakeSkittle said:
Another thing I noticed is that a previous CoroCoro issue claimed a few past generation Pokemon would appear in Isshu. Not a lot, but at least a few. Masuda is conflicting with this.
That could easily be in reference to the Dream World feature, where the capture of the wild Pokémon is triggered in the games themselves.

V Faction said:
A return to a more simple method of "catch wild Pokemon, fill your Dex" for the main part of the game is my hope. This method of only allowing wild Pokemon to be completely new ones might accomplish that.
You say that as if the Sinnoh Pokédex Pokémon couldn't all be found in the wild - they were all normally catchable (with the obvious exception of Manaphy). It's the old Pokémon outside the Sinnoh Pokédex (and in some cases their evolutions) that required cumbersome methods. If it is the evolutions you're complaining about, Platinum fixed that problem, whereas Black and White would appear to have at least a few new evolutions reserved for the end of the game.

It's not him who exaggerates. He clearly and open-heartedly felt like Pokeathlons were a form of action well-suited to the Pokemon games and the fans just took it in a different angle. Really, we're the morons who like to blow things out of proportion, which could be the case we're seeing here. I'm not going to blame Masuda for anything that we ourselves sheepishly hype up.

I expected very little in the first place, and I still don't think adding some minor touch-screen mini-games - which are by no means required to play through and are only to be included in HGSS - adds action to the series.

I'd also like to point out how he said we could look at HGSS more as new games than remakes, because of all the new content. Most people did not see them as new games.

1280862999862.png

My isshu edition:
zubatisshuedition.png

QFT!

I don't know what to think of this to be honest.

While it will be nice to have a true return to the basics of GenI, where everything is brand new and exciting .... there are fourteen years worth of Pikachu & Co. that would be hard to ignore.

I'm not saying it would be corporate suicide not to include Pokemon from GenI-IV, but it would take Game Freak a lot of explaining to Nintendo on why the new Games are choosing to abandon the main stays of the series. [Link]

But that said I have a personal rule that I don't use a pokemon more than one for each game I play and i planned to use all GenV pokemon anyway. But it would be nice to see a few of the older mons in battle.

This sounds great, a brand new adventure forthcoming with Black and White. The comic above though perfectly demonstrates though that just because Zubat, Tentacruel, and their ilk are gone, their spiritual successors will rise up to be just as annoying as their predecessors. We've already seen there is a new caterpillar Pokemon to stand in for Caterpie, Weedle, and Wurmple as well as the new fuzzy bat demon. I'm sure there's a new annoyance waiting to swarm us in the water as well.

But...I must ask...not even Magikarp in this new region? :(

You say that as if the Sinnoh Pokédex Pokémon couldn't all be found in the wild - they were all normally catchable (with the obvious exception of Manaphy). It's the old Pokémon outside the Sinnoh Pokédex (and in some cases their evolutions) that required cumbersome methods. If it is the evolutions you're complaining about, Platinum fixed that problem, whereas Black and White would appear to have at least a few new evolutions reserved for the end of the game.
It was like DP didn't know if it wanted to be a completely fresh new game OR if it wanted to give you the variety of many Pokemon at once. I wanted a more clearcut decision. Our journey through BW is being prefaced with a statement -- "No old Pokemon allowed till you reach the end of the game" -- which sounds like they know exactly what's going to happen in your journey. How that'll pan out is still up in the air.

I suppose you're right, that my main beef is with evolutions and legendaries. My stance has always been "why make Pokemon if you aren't going to let us use them" or only make them available in a very convoluted way. My enjoyment in playing DP was mired by such things. I should also state that I have not played Platinum, which by all accounts should sway my opinions, so decide for yourself if what I say has any merit.

I expected very little in the first place, and I still don't think adding some minor touch-screen mini-games - which are by no means required to play through and are only to be included in HGSS - adds action to the series.

I'd also like to point out how he said we could look at HGSS more as new games than remakes, because of all the new content. Most people did not see them as new games.
Again, these people think differently than us. Read his older blog entries that have been translated into English. His views on game design are incredibly interesting. How they differ from a typical gamer's view (such as a Westerner's like me) is shocking at times.

Public Relations people and advertisers go out of their way to make you think the game you're getting is the best ever because its their job. But Masuda isn't obligated to do any of that. He says the things he says because he's got a genuine excitement for these games (that's how I perceive it anyway). He's like a fan himself. He feels the way he does because... it's honestly how he feels! What other way is there to say it?

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=16177

I searched around for an interview. Just reading it tells you how pumped these guys get.

This was expected with the leaks and all. We knew there were new pokemon to replace the old ones.

And if they took out pikachu, all the 5 yr olds would be complaning that they couldn't catch pikachu. And since those 5 yr olds are Pokemon Anime fans probably, they will want pikachu bad.

This is great :D Means no more Zubats appearing in caves. Encourages trainers to use new Pokemon =)

Aww, no more Zubat? How could you NOT miss running into those Supersonic-wielding bats every three steps you take!?

And if they took out pikachu, all the 5 yr olds would be complaning that they couldn't catch pikachu. And since those 5 yr olds are Pokemon Anime fans probably, they will want pikachu bad.

I think I am correct that you could only catch Pikachu after the E4 and entering Kanto, so like we all did with our original Gold or Silver; and they have probably managed with their HGSS they too can wait in Black and White like the rest of us will.
People also seem to be forgetting that so far Abra has been in every game too. It will be the one I miss most of all, (I hate that little yellow Pika****).

Aww, no more Zubat? How could you NOT miss running into those Supersonic-wielding bats every three steps you take!

Ten bucks says the new pigbat things have supersonic at low levels too

It seems like they are backtracking to some of the elements of RSE with this.

But anyway, I kind of like the idea of using completely new pokemon. It offers a different experience. I honestly hope some of these pokemon will replace others from a competitive standpoint. I'm kind of sick of seeing all those OUs nowadays.

@Jerematic: Real bats use sonic waves to detect their surroundings, so I wouldn't be surprised if this new bat could use that move. I kind of like the furry bat's typing, though. It seems opposite to Zubat.

Aww, no more Zubat? How could you NOT miss running into those Supersonic-wielding bats every three steps you take!?
Don't worry, this lil' guy will fill in for Zubats:

koromori.png

I think this is a great idea, perhaps even a brilliant one. Not only will you not have to deal with annoying Tentacool and such, but it will be the first in a long, long time, that people will have to rethink their strategy with beating gym leaders and the E4, ect. With Gens 2-4 you stuck with what you knew with the preexistent Pokemon; It will feel like I've played pokemon for the first time all over again.

Ten bucks says the new pigbat things have supersonic at low levels too

Not only is this quoted for truth, I'll bet another ten bucks that the ones that are too high-level to know Supersonic will know Confuse Ray.

In fact, I'm prepared to wager any amount of money that Koromori's movepool will include most, if not all of the moves Zubat gets, replacing Poison Fang with Heart Stamp, and throwing in Confusion somewhere.

In spite of that, I'm still planning on having one of the little guys on my team when I get Black version.

It's more than likely. Still that's why repels where invented.

Another thing that's troubling me with this is that ... the games are being released in an month and a half ... if Masuda is being 100% honest and that we are expecting about 100-150 new pokemon with no previous mons...

We know of about 25/30ish that are confirmed?

Are we waiting for a massive news leak?

@Jerematic: Real bats use sonic waves to detect their surroundings, so I wouldn't be surprised if this new bat could use that move. I kind of like the furry bat's typing, though. It seems opposite to Zubat.

I know ... I was trying to make a fast 10 bucks ...

Just go back to annoying me with calls about your damn Rattata ... that won't be appearing in Issiu ... Issui ... Issue .... ....

Damn it Joey you made me forgot how to spell the new region [/joke]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom