• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Black and White to feature only Gen V Pokémon pre-National Dex: Feature announced in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Black and White to feature only Gen V Pokémon pre-National Dex: Feature announced

I've got mixed views on this. For starters, I'm glad to be rid of Magikarp and Geodude. I mean come on, Magikarp was the most annoying flounder I've encountered, and Geodude was only good for Defense EVs. However, I will miss Zubat. I love its shiny form, and I have a shiny Crobat in SS (I've actually caught a shiny Zubat in almost each generation game, starting from Sapphire). But I am pleased to hear that we will be starting fresh. This will give new and old players a challenge. I am a little stunned about Pikachu, thought, as it might not be in the Pokedex until post-E4, since it's the trademark of the Pokemon franchise, but I guess that's the case.

Overall, I am excited to see what else we are presented with. This will be a good chance to start fresh and yet be a challenge to all.

Re: Black and White to feature only Gen V Pokémon pre-National Dex: Feature announced

I figured this would happen. I'm kinda glad.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few Gen V Pokémon related to previous generations, but can only be obtained after getting the national dex.

My top 4 reasons to be dissapointed over this news.

1. No Magikarp Gyarados.
2. No Zubat
3. No Tentacool and Tentacruel
4. No Geodude.

I won't get any use of the Old Rod since I could evolve Magikarp. D-: Horrible news!

Fix'd it.

I still find this an exaggeration on Masuda's part. It's not like they haven't exaggerated before. Besides, we've already seen Pikachu's picture on a billboard in Hiun City. Why would they bother to include Pikachu there, if the species isn't going to appear in Isshu in the wild?
Piplup was on the same billboard

Torchic is on the Amity Square sign in Platinum. Was it native to Sinnoh? No.

Aren't they're going to give away all Eeveelutions for Daisuki Club members during August and then let them transfer them from the site to the game via that dream thing?...
I think maybe he meant it'd be similar to Hoenn, with MAINLY new Poké, not ONLY...

Though it could be that older Poké can be transferred from dream/shifter/trades pre national dex and they just don't appear in the dex

NO Gen I annoyances? At all?
HOLY SHIT THIS IS AMAZING.

I had honestly grown to despise all of them. Geodude, Magikarp, Zubat, Tentacool and especially that. fucking. Pikachu. To have them be 100% replaced by newcomers will be a godsend, even if these godsends end up being just as annoying as their predecessors. I'd do anything not to have to put up with Zubat's ear raping cry 100x per day.

The annoying Gen I purists will most likely be able to get their old favorites from the dream world or Pokeshift anyway, so everyone wins.

The annoying Gen I purists will most likely be able to get their old favorites from the dream world or Pokeshift anyway, so everyone wins.

Probably not. The no-good Gen I purists will most likely throw a riot at Nintendo for getting rid of the Pokemon, even if they can be caught in the Dream World.

My top 4 reasons to celebrate over this news.

1. No Magikarp.
2. No Zubat
3. No Tentacool and Tentacruel
4. No Geodude.

I finally get some use of the Old Rod since I couldn't do anything useful with Magikarp. :-D Great news!

Except we never know if they'll keep the old rod... I'm hoping it'll be replaced with some kind of harpoon thing with a Pokeball on the end instead of a spear point. But that's probably just me.

I love that we won't be seeing Tentacool anymore. I WILL NOT MISS IT. Geodude and Magikarp are bad too (I like Zubat, but whatever, I'll just send one over eventually) but Tentacool has absolutely nothing good about it. I can't even think of two things amazing about Tentacool.

Fix'd it.
I LOL'd. :-D

Seriously, who would bother training Magikarp right at the start? I can always catch Gyarados later. Anyway, I'm sick of those too. Thank you very much Lance!

Pikachu will only appear after national dex, it's already confirmed

Yeah, that really doesn't matter at all?
Nobody gave a crap when we were beating Gardenia's Turtwig, Cherubi and Roserade. What we DID give a crap about however, was beating the crap out of them with the Ponyta we just caught from Route 206.

It doesn't matter if it's new or not, it's what we've been used to since 1998.

Nah, it doesn't matter because a lot of people don't transfer over their old pokemon to beat the gym leaders. You got a point with the ponyta though, because I had to get one to beat fire-weak only pokemon but still there were plenty of flying types to encounter before you even get to Gardenia sooo...

If we can do it, even without flying types or fire types, you can do it too. Can't you take a little challenge?

Back on topic....

BEST NEWS EVER. :D which means MOAR POKEMON TO CATCH!!! Weeeeeeeeeeee.... I was surprised, but hey! New pokemon and plenty to choose from! I am really looking forward on training them. I will bask on each of their uniqueness. Haha

I'm actually sad to see Magikarp go. I've always had such an easy time gaining Speed EVs thanks to that little red fish.

Honestly, as cool as this sounds, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm just not buying it. I'm sure he'll throw in pre-GenV Pokemon that have GenV Evos or Prevos.

Talk about goin' back to your roots, this could be huge!
Also, the fact that Pre-Gen V Pokemon can be accessed seems an ideal form of compromise, does it not?

YESYESYESYSEYSGDASJDHJ

NO MORE GODDAMN GEODUDE, TENTACOOL, MAGIKARP AND ZUBAT.

Sorry for the caps, my excitement cannot be contained. @_@ But yes, finally they actually decide to show off new Pokemon instead of having the same old shit. I really hated having like a couple of new Pokemon, most of them not that good, being available to you in a new generation with the old ones picking up the slack. I am so happy about this development.

EDIT;; @gen I purist discussion: I like gen I the best but I'm reallyreallyREALLY happy about this.

Wait, is this pokemon?

There Masuda, I said it. Hope you're happy.

Note that the blog doesn't say "national dex" (and I think everyone agrees it's not the same nation as Kanto Johto ect. I'm going to guess it will be called the "International" or "Global" dex.), but "until the end of the game".

The biggest problem I see with this is that Pokemon doesn't need more crappy Rattata and Pidgey and so on clones; what it needs is a wider variety of Pokemon in each area. Tentacool, Geodude, and Zubat are annoying because you see them every other battle (or every battle) in water/caves. Instead, there's gonna be three new annoying dorks that show up every battle? That doesn't sound any better. (Yes, I think that Kuromoi is cute, but I also think Zubat is cute, and that doesn't make encountering it so frequently any less annoying.)

Yes, I like Gen I the best - but in no small part because later Gens never utilised anywhere near the full number of Pokemon they had available. (A 'limited' catch format only works when the pool is actually imposedly small.)

Whatever, I'm not excited. Maybe it's just 'cause I hate the look of 90% of the new Pokes we've seen. (I do like the amplification one, but that's really all.)

Seriously, who would bother training Magikarp right at the start? I can always catch Gyarados later.

Uh, I would bother. I buy the Magikarp at Mt. Moon Pokemon Center in FireRed and raise it right away. Because owning a Gyarados before you can even get an Old Rod is epic win.

On topic...

As long as we got some good Poison types in Isshu, I'll be happy.

If Koffing and Weezing are absent, however, I will personally see to it that all hell breaks loose.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Also, so much for the possibility of Dunsparce and Qwilfish in the regional dex.

BUT, this could be a good thing, too. I can't be sure until the games are out and we know about ALL the new Pokemon, but I'm already planning my team in advance. So far I got Pokabu, Gear, and Koromori.

And guys, let's be realistic. We all know that they're gonna introduce another weak fish with crap stats and the inability to use anything except Splash until level 15, that evolves into a real beast at level 20. And we all know that there will be a fisherman somewhere in the game that uses six of them.

Wasn't it? I thought the point of this news article was that it said that ONLY Generation 5 Pokemon will appear in Isshu, pre-Nat. Dex.

What he said was that non-Gen V pokemon won't be in the regional dex, that technically doesn't mean that you can't find them in the wild pre-nat Dex. Also, there is the possibility that, like with DP, the pokemon that are evos or prevos of old pokemon (like Luvdisc evo) aren't in the regional dex, and the regional dex is relatively small.

This is awesome. Believe it or not, to me this is more nostalgic than it would be having all the original Pokemon in. I remember what it was like to experience the world of Pokemon for the first time on Yellow and Stadium, learning each Pokemon's names, backstories, strengths, weaknesses... and since then, it's felt like they've preferred to keep the status quo with a few extra Pokemon tacked on, almost like an expansion pack. To enter a world that is entirely new... this will be the first time since the 90s I've been able to experience that. Bravo, Game Freak. Bravo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom