• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Black/White: How will Kusaka-san handle Cheren and Bel?

Shiny Noctowl

Go! PikaBot!
Reaction score
In Black and White, you have two rivals, meaning that there are four potential dexholders (Black, White, Cheren, and Bel) but only three starters. How do you think this will be handled in PokeSpe?

My theory:
* Black and White (the player characters) will receive two of the starters.
* N will steal the third starter; he'll eventually reform like Lance and become a dexholder or other protagonist.
* Cheren and Bel will be handled like Wally in RS; they'll be important characters but won't receive starters or Pokédexes.

I think Cheren and Bell will get pokedex's but not starters.
and yeah I think the third will get stolen, for sure

Other problem: Names.

We don't know the third version yet (as in DP) and I'm sure they don't want to go through "Ojou-sama" issues again.
So when the third name is revealed, who will have it? Cheren? Bel? N? The girl character (White)?

Last edited:
Neither Cheren nor Bel will have it, because they're names already mean "Black"(Cheren in Bulgarian) and "White"(Bel in Russian).

As of now, the only person we know has a decent chance of being the third version is N, because - according to my theory which I've spouted everywhere else like a moron - I believe the codename "N" is short for "Nezu" meaning "Gray" in Japanese.

I hope they aren't treated like Wally who got shafted in the Emerald arc.

I doubt N will have a starter, nor will they pull a Silver on him. I want Cheren and Bel to have the starter, but there's the issue of the two protagonists and its unfair for either Cheren or Bel to get one and not the other.

The way I see it, they may not introduce one of the protagonist (male or female) until the third game is named, and will give them that name.
Neither Cheren nor Bel will have it, because they're names already mean "Black"(Cheren in Bulgarian) and "White"(Bel in Russian).

As of now, the only person we know has a decent chance of being the third version is N, because - according to my theory which I've spouted everywhere else like a moron - I believe the codename "N" is short for "Nezu" meaning "Gray" in Japanese.

Considering naming themes, I'd assume it would be from the Slavic language family.

Well this is what i think, i think that, well you have the two gender choices for your player right, and i dont think the other choice will be in the game, so bel and cheren will get the other two starters, there is no 4th dex holder...

The way I see it, they may not introduce one of the protagonist (male or female) until the third game is named, and will give them that name.
In my mind, if he's smart, Kusaka won't start the B&W chapter until he's done with both the Platinum and HGSS chapters, hopefully putting the B&W chapter well after the games' release, giving him a great buffer for the third game (if there is one) and what to do with the two protags (since N is "named," the girl and boy are probably gonna be Black and White) with the third being a Yellow/Emerald.

And for the starter sit, it might wind up like Yellow without a fourth game to base it on: a non-starter (likely unique, akin to, say, Zorua, or Eevee itself) for a "starter."

Shiny Noctowl, I think that either what you're saying is right, or that a new character will be the third dex holder.

I hope they aren't treated like Wally who got shafted in the Emerald arc.

By saying that they would be like Wally in RS, I was referring solely to the fact that they would be major protagonists but not get starters. Of course, I still hope they play some role in later arcs.

Considering naming themes, I'd assume it would be from the Slavic language family.

The Russian word for gray is серый séryj and the Bulgarian word is similar, сив siv. The Slavic root for gray starts with an s, so that wouldn't work.

actually n doesn't get a starter because he is much older like 20 and the girl is not in the game only belle and cheren.so that leaves none but everyone got a starter

Has there been any word on the BW manga yet or is this just baseless speculation?

I came across this problem when I was planning out my BW Fanfiction. I decided to give Black, Belle and Cheren the starters (As like the games), and give White a new role altogether.

Personally though, I think Kusaka should just focus on the DP and HGSS Chapters for now. Once they're done, the third version will most likely be on its way. At that point, the fourth Pokédex Holder could be given the new Marketable-But-Not-A-Starter Pokémon.

actually n doesn't get a starter because he is much older like 20 and the girl is not in the game only belle and cheren.so that leaves none but everyone got a starter

That's why I said that N would steal the starter from Professor Araragi; it's confirmed that he thinks that Pokémon should be "freed" from humans. Even if the other player character doesn't appear in the game, they will both still appear in PokeSpe; the two player characters and the rival have been the three dexholders in each generation.

Has there been any word on the BW manga yet or is this just baseless speculation?

There hasn't been official source directly stating that there'll be a B/W arc, but we're basing our expectations of such arc on the fact that the other main games have all gotten an arc.

Personally though, I think Kusaka should just focus on the DP and HGSS Chapters for now.

In any case, he wouldn't be releasing any B/W chapters now anyway. The first D/P chapter didn't come until the December after the September where Diamond and Pearl were released as games.

I do wonder how much he's thought of such an arc. Not that I'm expecting much.

Cheren and Bel...

I don't want another Wally plot. Wally was a nice kid, and he was special. Repeating the way he was characterized would be an insult!

But, since it's unlikely they'll be kept off the manga, I'd prefer them not being Dexholders, not even temporary. They'll also not be able to get starters, because those are three, and two should already go to Black (boy) and White (girl).

I don't know what they'd do, but this is what I think so far of their roles. If they want to do it, they could be personal rivals for the two protagonists; I wouldn't care.

N...

This guy won't get either a starter or a Pokedex. He's our potential ultimate villain for B&W, as far as I know.

But I can't deny that he looks great with Tsutarja on his shoulder (I can only hope). And him being a third-version guy would be... quite a twist.

In my mind, if he's smart, Kusaka won't start the B&W chapter until he's done with both the Platinum and HGSS chapters, hopefully putting the B&W chapter well after the games' release (...)
So far, good plotter, but let's pray a little bit on this one now; after all, HGSS stomped all over Platinum for no adequately explained reason.

What if the Third version adds extra starters, which would mean that everyone ( Black, Cheren, Belle, AND White) can have a Starter and a Dex?

Once the game comes out and we know Black/White's relationship to the other, we can assume that the same role will be taken in the manga.

Or, Black will replace Cheren/White will replace Belle, and the replaced character will be shafted/ given a different role.

the male Protagonist, Charen, and Belle get starters. The female protagonist gets the role of Makoto's assistant and is given a munna until the special edition saga begins. The girl protagonist borrows the male protagonist's starter for her saga. Eventually the female protagonist gets her own starter of the same species as the one she borrowed like Yellow does.

That seems like a set up that would satisfy everyone. Now someone else figure out the naming issue.

I'm thinking something like this:
Male protagonist: Black
Cheren: White
Belle: Belle (sorry Belle only 3 names)
Female protagonist: special edition name (called Makoto's assistant until game is announced)

Last edited:
I think we know how they'll be dealt with. According to the new info, Cheren will use a second Pokemon depending on which started you chose, kind of like an alternate starter out of Basslaow, Darumaca, and possibly the Hoot-Hoot+Bellosum thing.

Since Cheren and Bel are the rivals and Cheren's is stronger against yours while Bel's is weaker, I just wonder which protagonist will get the starter...I hope Black does. :L

Hm.... let's see what we got from the games so far. We know as of now the girl charater probaly will not be in the games if you choose the girl. Belle fought against her father about leaving. But all three of you will still get a starter. So... it could be like this:

*boy, like everyone will be Black
*girl will be white
*cheren will be grey but his name will not be mentioned, black calling him some nickname
*belle will be herself

*black, white,and gray will get starters and pokédexes
*belle, seeing as she fought with her dad, he probaly will tell prof. a. and will not allow her to get starter or pokédex

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom