• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Challenge Blanc's Bi-Weekly Art Challenge ▽ɞ

ART REVIEW ▽ɞ
  • Hello passengers, apologies for the wait! I have no excuse. Well, technically, I do, I was writing an economics paper for my cousin-- and no, I know nothing about economics. Anyways! Thank you to everyone who took part in the art challenge! For this first review, I am only going to provide a textual response! If, in the future, you would like me to fully critique your works and "red-line" (go over your drawings with a red pen) to help you understand techniques and practice, then please, by all means give me the greenlight next time you participate! I didn't want this to be a "critique" exactly right away, especially when I know how nervous art can make us all sometimes. Just keep in mind this is a judgement free zone and we're all here to improve and have fun.

Without further ado...
    ╔══▲═════════════╗

PROMPT 01 - 11/9/22-11/27/22

TITLE: ROTTEN FRUIT REVIEW

╚════════════▽═══╝

@Torchic W. Pip - A beautiful hand practice, I don't know if this was intentional or not, but you made a very good show of curves moving into straight lines and vice versa with the fingers holding the Pokeball. The angle of the palm and knuckles are very nice too, and it was an excellent choice to harshen your sketch-- it allows it to look polished without taking away the organic feeling that sketching on pencil provides. The second hand is not bad either! You have a knack for fingers and the way to adjust them, the curve of the index and middle finger on the second hand are exceptionally good for the perspective they're angled at. Well done!

Your painting is a nice contrast, and I love the texture on the paint itself-- is that from the paper? Intentional?? I also am genuinely curious how you did the streaks of grass as they don't seem messy, and when they are towards the ends it also creates that nice "organic" feeling. I'd love to see you experiment with painting some more! The acrylic actually meshes really well with the sketch book paper!

@Black_Cat320 - Welcome welcome! We haven't talked before, but I already love the feeling of your art! Can I ask what type of pen you lined this in? I love how this piece is almost monochrome, but you added noticeable hints of muted colors if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me that mirror the theme of rotten, decaying fruit! You probably noticed, but I'm a sucker for drawing "drippy" and "gooey" things, so I'm all about this malicious "face" rotting over the fruit. And I CANNOT ignore the hatching you did, it's such a nice touch of shading that isn't too harsh or distracting from the piece. Being able to do minor shading while still having a piece look finished is a skill I'm very jealous of. Nice worrrrk!

@DawningWinds - Dawning! You were kind enough to grace me with a lot of pretty artworks, so I'll do my best to analyze them carefully! First, the hand practice... Shown strongest in the top left and bottom left hands, you have a fantastic control of the wrist joint at this perspective. Also shown in those two hands is a nice eye for finger joint placement and where the fingers should curve around the berry-- and that CREASE of the joints between the ring finger and pinky in the top left!!! Is insanely eyecatching and nicely done-- good lineweight too!

Next the digital oil painting! Great composition here, it was a stellar choice to have the character not at the center of the canvas, as it allows our eyes to trail over to them in a sense of a scene occurring. I also like the various amber shades you used to create a smog effect-- and their dark colors contrast nicely with that! The tatters in their clothes are nicely spaced, and look natural in their unevenness, this piece definitely tells a story. Is this a character of yours? Something you came up with randomly? I kinda wanna know!

And lastly... the character you made based off the prompt! I was super surprised and excited to see him come to life. So, I first have to admit I'm a huge sucker for what you did with the "corrupted" eye look on him, I used to have a few OCs of my own when I was a teen with very similar markings. You probably already planned this, but maybe the markings have a glow effect, like veins almost? (I hope I'm making sense). I'm also glad you went with that hair style, as it frames his face well and adds to his "princely" look. (I LOVE the last piece of him looking over the balcony, you angled his face in such a nice way that shows subtle attitude and I love it. Also the lashes? wowowowow) If I may suggest a name for him, how about Adam, referencing the garden of Eden and the biting of the apple? I'm a sucker for symbolism too LOL. I love his cravat and waist jacket... I hope to see more of him!!

Thank you again everyone for participating, though I'm a bit behind schedule, I hope you will stay tuned for our next prompt! I'm going to get a few more references together, so feel free to reply or chat until then. It made me happy to see all these... thank you!!

PROMPT ▽ɞ
  • ╔══▲═════════════╗

PROMPT 02 - 12/3/22

TITLE: CHAOTIC CONCERTO

╚════════════▽═══╝
    Yo, passengers! It's that time again, we know the drill! As usual you can make these themes Pokemon themed or not! Whatever strikes your fancy, have fun with it! Sorry for the wait, I had to pick and choose some refs.

▽ɞ Feel free to use prompt, reference, both, or interpret the subject matter however you wish.

▽ɞ Figure focus/study: FIGURE 1
    1670054098500.png
    (source)

FIGURE 2
    1670054348936.png
    (source)

FIGURE 3
    1670054391219.png
    (source)
    ▽ɞ Environment focus/study: STUDY 1
    1670055114641.png
    (source)