• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Blastoise uses water jets for high-speed tackles?

Ampere

Reaction score
That's what my copy of Pokémon Blue says, anyway. It doesn't seem to be a translation error, because it's in the LeafGreen Dex entry; slightly modified, at that.

I always thought they were cannons. Cannons used for, you know, shooting. I mean, what does Blastoise do? Tackle opponents with his back? Do the cannons just rotate 180°, allowing him aim them backwards? Does he have another pair under his shell at the bottom?

Maybe I should mail the official www.pokemon.com mailbag or something.

Many Dex entries greatly exaggerate, but the incongruity here is just bizarre. It makes me wonder if Blastoise had an earlier conceptual form that was this different.

If you want this topic to just die, though, I'll let it if everyone else does.

Maybe some sort of bodyslam. (slides backwards, then positions the cannons in a south west direction to take off)

IT'S. THE. DEX. DO. NOT. BELIEVE. IT. IT'S. RANDOM. CRAP. THE. WRITERS. PUT. TOGETHER.

Actually, if you watch a few episodes/movies with Blastoise doing battle in them, you see them propel themselves using the cannons/jets in a swirling spinning fashion after withdrawing. I assume that's the closest thing to it.

Most of the DEX entries are crap but this one is interesting.

I always assumed that the cannons could be turned around and redirected to form something like a built-in jetpack. This would then result in what I termed a RAT (Rocket Assisted Tackle).

Actually, if you watch a few episodes/movies with Blastoise doing battle in them, you see them propel themselves using the cannons/jets in a swirling spinning fashion after withdrawing. I assume that's the closest thing to it.

Come to think of it, I think I've seen that. Maybe I'm thinking of Squirtle performing Hydro Pump, though; similar enough.

In the PokeSpe manga, I seem to remember Blue using her Blastoise as a jetpack by having it hold onto her back while upside down. I imagine that a tackle from Blastoise would work the same way.

In Gen IV it learns Aqua Jet as an egg move so...

Not always. They sometimes exagerate things.

where else are you supposed to get information about pokémon? Pokédexes are the only source, and as it's said in the games, it's canon and thus true. How can you know wether they exagerate things when they're your only source? Not. So unless some of the entries contradict each other, consider everything in the pokédex as true.

where else are you supposed to get information about pokémon? Pokédexes are the only source, and as it's said in the games, it's canon and thus true. How can you know wether they exagerate things when they're your only source? Not. So unless some of the entries contradict each other, consider everything in the pokédex as true.

From Magcargo:

Its body temperature is roughly 18,000 degrees F. Flames spout from gaps in its hardened shell.

You wanna do the math or should I?

This is quite an interesting thought.
Never thought about that lol.

Dex entries should largely be disregarded simply because they're so ridiculous/insane.

Machamp- It punches with its four arms at blinding speed. It can launch 1,000 punches in two seconds.
-Using its heavy muscles, it throws powerful punches that can send the victim clear over the horizon.
-One arm alone can move mountains. Using all four arms, this Pokémon fires off awesome punches

Pidgeot- This Pokémon flies at Mach 2 speed, seeking prey.

Heracross- With its Herculean powers, it can easily throw around an object that is 100 times its own weight

Grimer- This Pokemon was formed by the exposure of X-rays from the moon.

Raichuu- Its electric charges can reach even 100,000 volts

A Magikarp living for many years can leap a mountain using Splash. The move remains useless, though.

The dex refers to the attack, not the cannons. Water jets can be a tackle like the attack, or cannons like Blastoise's.

Dex: True or False?

Well, I see that the Dexter is true, and I totally agree with all the other users who do, too.
P.S. Wigglytuff, there is no contridict to Machamp throwing 1,200(or what ever it was) punches in two seconds. Has anyone seen it? No. That many punches in two seconds might be like Himtonchan (or whichever of the Himtons was DEF>ATK) throwing punches so quickly, you can't see them, or same with Electrike, but it's running instead. :p

From Magcargo:

You wanna do the math or should I?

Who cares? Physics in the pokémon world aren't the same as those in this world. Remember that. Thus that is very possible. Especially because you don't have any other information to compare that fact with, and thus you can never say it isn't true.

Your real world logics don't apply in the pokémon world. Like where an azurill is supposed to get all that water it uses for water pulse from. Impossible in the real world, very possible in the pokémon world.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom