• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Blind or Spoiled - how much do you want to know?

give us the starters now and dates and some spoiling around but with dates.
max 15% spoil.

I will try to avoid spoilers, except the starters and the box legendaries. Probably the player characters as well, I won't be able to resist that.

I did this with XY. Well, honestly it was because I wasn't in the mood for Pokemon back then. I also wasn't a member of forums or sites like tumblr. It was easy to avoid spoilers and news. Because of that, I enjoyed Y a lot. Everything was a surprise and my game play experience was amazing. The same happened with RSE, but I didn't even have internet back then.

Well, I think it will be harder to avoid news/spoilers now, but I will try!

I plan my team in advance, so I'll definitely want starter, new Pokemon and legend spoilers. Last time I let myself get in too deep and watched YouTube videos of gameplay through the first couple of routes, towns, etc. I also read plot and character spoilers. I won't do that again as I really think it took away some of the initial magic. I knew EVERYTHING before I even started and I definitely won't repeat that with these games.

I guess it depends on how the official reveals are handled. I do want to go in blind, but I also want to know what the mascots/starters, player characters, region, and maybe a few new Pokémon are. Pretty much just the basics.

Oh how I wish I could go in blind. Sadly, not gonna happen. I'm too invested in news from Pokemon to be able to avoid stuff. But I will endeavor to remain as spoiler free as possible. Should be easier this time than in BW when I was modding. I knew everything back then and kinda wish I hadn't.

Not as spoiled as BW. Taking account the gap between the teaser and the realese date, they will need to spoil something here and there to keep the hype: like the starter, the region, main character, hint a possible new mechanics. People normally want to know what they are going to buy and where they are going on. Just don't need to show all new Pokemons, for example.

I only really wanna know the box legendaries and starters basic form, I'm a big kid now and think I have the self control to block serebii and this forum from my browser once the true leak season begins.

I guess it depends on how the official reveals are handled....
To me, revealing the evolutions of the Kalos starters was a huge mistake on TPC's part. (Tangent: when MK8 was coming out, they revealed footage of MK8's Rainbow Road and I also considered that a huge mistake.) I was able to keep myself mostly in the dark on this matter, but it was close and required active avoidance.

Considering how over half of the new Kalos species were revealed pre-release, there were really only two Pokemon in XY that took me completely by surprise: the weird thing called Binacle, and Hawlucha. I think I stumbled across the name "Hawlucha" and the notion of an actual Fighting+Flying type at some point (stupid leaks and all) but at the time I just dismissed them out of hand as probably fake. In Hawlucha's case, I actually managed to forget about it. So when I'm out hunting Eevee south of Geosenge and suddenly this wild Aztec luchador bird appears, the level of jaw drop was over 9000; I caught that bird and made space in the party for her immediately. I've practically never done that before with any Pokemon ever.

I know it's simply impossible to avoid seeing the box legendaries and the starter trio on the back ... well, it's sort of possible to avoid reading the back of the box but I think I should save the back of the box for after picking my starter in-game.

Last edited:
I am choosing to look at all info that comes. I want to know if Zygarde's forms are abandoned or not and whether it is worth buying Moon and Sun.

Blind. The last time was D/P for me I think?

XY was entirely spoilt for me, but also cause I first wasnt even planning on gettimg it. Got it around the release of ORAS

This time, I want to be spoiled on as little as possible. Might even avoid any and all official info and just see the starter for the first time on the box

It will be hard though XD

Just the region. If that reflects the real-life counterpart accurate enough (with only as much change as necessary for a Pokémon game), then I'm happy. XY was the perfect scenario: a region that actually looked like France. It really made me hyped, and for whatever shortcoming it had it was too insignificant compared to what they really nailed on the head.

I prefer to only have official information that comes out during the pre-release season. Basically, anything that comes from CoroCoro, the official site and other reliable sources before the games are released, I'd read, but anything that comes out after the games are released, I'd avoid like the plague until I play through the game. I do like to plan my team ahead of time, so knowing about the starters and some of the Pokemon available would help. I went in as blind as I could for X/Y and while I did enjoy that, it made it a bit more difficult to plan out my teams since I kept changing my mind all the time. I do hope that they don't reveal too many of the new Pokemon before the games came out. X/Y did that and I was disappointed in a way that there were less new Pokemon to discover. Same with OR/AS revealing all of the Mega Evolutions before the game came out.

I don't want to know too many details about the storyline. That I definitely want to experience on my own as much as possible, so getting some new characters and a basic outline of the storyline would be fine. I try to play blindly about the storyline, but I don't think that I could avoid seeing new Pokemon revealed unless I didn't have Internet access for the rest of the year.

Only official stuff such as Corocoro scans and trailers. I say that but I'm sure I'll end up spoiling myself a little the week before the game comes out. Someone always gets it early and it always happens. :rolleyes:

Anything that comes from an official source I'll read. So I'll only spoil myself on some of the Pokemon and the PCs. I'll try to avoid too many of the plot details, at least until I pick up the guide.

So I'll be somewhat spoiled but not too much.

My ratio of blind-spoiled tends to be half and half.

I definitely want to know all the new Pokemon, their locations, and any evolution methods because I always plan my team beforehand. I don't want to be in a position where I miss out on something I really liked simply because I didn't know where it was, how to get it, or the mere fact that it existed, and then regret it at the end of the game. Movesets however, I can do without. I'm not a competitive player (and I sure as heck wouldn't use an in-game team for that anyway), but overall, I'm not that strict or picky with moves. Honestly, it was pretty fun in XY to wait and see what my Pokemon would learn and when. I ended up being pleasantly surprised more than once.

I also like to know the gym leaders, e4 and their teams just to see what I'm up against. Rival teams however, I like to remain a surprise. It's more exciting to for me to see what progress and changes the rival has made to their team along the journey when I battle them.

New features (like PokemonAmie and Customization in XY) I'd like to know about, simply so I can see whether I like it and want to use it. I don't need to know every single thing about them however, just the fact that they exist and the basics about what they do. I can discover the rest on my own.

The story is where I am mostly blind. I'll look at officially revealed major characters and things like that, but anything extra is 100% OFF LIMITS. I want to go through the plot without much information about it. I want my journey to be a surprise in that aspect.

This is how I went through it in BW, BW2, and XY and I hope to do the same for Sun and Moon. Get hype everyone!

I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I grew up in a time where there were very little leaks or spoilers for new Pokemon games. The mystery of not knowing what was coming added to the excitement. I do remember that time fondly where we got the new game and knew little to nothing about what we are about to experience. There is definitely something to be said about that, since it truly felt like I was exploring the unknown.

On the other hand, I did find myself looking for all the spoilers and leaks for XY and ORAS, and I suspect I will do so again for Sun and Moon, especially since I am curious about a lot of features and other aspects of the game.
They can also give us a lot of leak without spoiling the gameplay or the region. My playthroughs of XY and ORAS were no less satisfying because I had seen spoilers, especially considering that for ORAS, I had already explored Hoenn and knew about the basic plot of the game.

Blind. In an age of social media and rapidly advancing technology, its nice to live under a rock until the thing you are interested in is release then bombarded with marketing ads. I don't mind minor spoilers such as new mechanics though anything story related or pokemon reveals somewhat dampens the hype.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom