• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Blind or Spoiled - how much do you want to know?

I want to go in blind. As unlikely as that's to happen, I prefer to play the game seeing new Pokemon and characters for the first time as I'm playing.

Last Gen (before I realized we'd only get 70) I had no idea of Fletchinder until I saw it in game. That was nice.

Blind. In an age of social media and rapidly advancing technology, its nice to live under a rock until the thing you are interested in is release then bombarded with marketing ads. I don't mind minor spoilers such as new mechanics though anything story related or pokemon reveals somewhat dampens the hype.
This so much.

ORAS in particular was less exciting to me after they showcased so much in the trailers. I'm gonna avoid media as best as I can this time. Going into XY with minimal knowledge was amazing for me.

I went into BW blind, which was kind of frustrating leading up to the release because I had to avoid a lot of media websites and shut myself out of friends' conversations about Pokémon.

I went into XY knowing all the official details released about it, which... included at least half of the Pokémon, in a generation with only 72 Pokémon, when the thing I was most excited for was discovering new Pokémon. Oops. :U

So yeah, not sure what I'm gonna do this time. I think I'm just gonna go in knowing all the officially released material. Hopefully they don't reveal as many of the Pokémon prior to release this time around.

I went into XY mostly blind, only knowing the Starters, the Box legends, the region, the Fairy-type, and maybe a few Pokemon, like Talonflame. Imagine the trauma I experienced when I discovered Espurr. I caught it, went to the PC, and stared into its merciless eyes. Still. Cannot. Look. Away.

I intend to go completely blind this time in terms of all Pokemon's looks, save for maybe E3. So long as I just check Bulbanews' titles for "New Pokemon Revealed," this should be doable.
I really, really hope the Starters are revealed outside of E3, since I don't even want to see them. No offense to #TeamChespin, #TeamFennekin, or #TeamFroakie, but I had a very unfavorable opinion of XY's starters going in, and that took a long time to overcome. The rest of XY's Pokemon were generally solid, so I don't want to judge the game that early.

Normally I would spoil myself at least a little bit, but I'm treating SM differently this time. They're anniversary games, and while I started Pokemon with Diamond, I'd like to do what Gen I players did and go in without knowing what to expect. It's the reason why I even bothered to get Yellow for the 3DS.

Most probably spoiled, I can't resist and love indulging in every bit of info lol. I could say blind, but it will be everywhere for me anyway, at least given the amount of times I refresh Serebii daily haha.

For the story and locations I like to be mostly unaware and will not look into so much of that before I get the game. The Pokémon and characters (mainly rivals, some gym leaders) I like to also see beforehand though.

You know, I really want to be blind, but honestly I doubt I will make it. I will more likely succumb to temptation, at least to view official info releases.

I'm on board with what PinkIceFox said on the first page: I don't consider it spoiling. I want to know in which region we are, which pokemon are going to join my team and who i'm going to face with them. I think there is a big difference between researching prerelease info and spoiling yourself. The only thing I don't want to know ahead of the game, is the story. I want to keep that as fresh and surprisingly as possible. I'm probably going to handle things the same way I did with XY: only watching the first few parts of online Let's Plays, just to have a little glimpse of the game and to keep that annoying curious part of myself into containment.

I want to go in playing these games as blind as possible. I'll stay around for the first few months of Pokémon Sun and Moon news (most likely until E3) but after that I'll be stepping away from these forums, unsubscribing from any Pokémon channels I'm subscribed to on YouTube, and staying away from any official and unofficial Pokémon news outlets. Overall just any place where Pokémon news discussion will be rampant.

I would've considered staying around a bit longer but after seeing how the news for X & Y and ORAS was handled, no thanks. They went completely overboard with revealing new Pokémon during the pre-release period of X & Y, 42 of the 69 new Pokémon available in-game were revealed. Something similar happened with ORAS too, where all of the new Mega Evolutions were revealed. They even went as far as to spilling the beans on the ORAS post game with the Delta Episode. Could you have imagined people's reactions to this had they not known anything? It would have been epic. The part with the character heading to space on Rayquaza to destroy the meteoroid alone would have been amazing but that part with the triangular stone and Deoxys bursting out it would've left me speechless. Never in a million years would I have thought that we'd be able to capture a Mythical Pokémon in-game without the need of an event item.

Last edited:
^ That's why I think GF might actually be a bit more cautious when it comes to revealing things this time around. We pretty much knew everything about X and Y and we knew everything about ORAS. What did we get for Sun and Moon? "Oh hey, there's gonna be a new game released in the winter of this year. 'Kay, bye now!" We got a quick look at a regional bird, what looks like a hotel, the possible male PC and some firetrucks. With X and Y we already knew what the Starters and the box Mascots looked like when the games were first announced.

Yeah, we're going crazy with the lack of news but I think GF wants it that way. I don't think they're going to spoil us too much with these games, which is why I'll stick to official channels. But then again, I could be wrong about that. I really hope not; I don't want GF pulling another ORAS. I like official reveals but don't show me everything.

I like to see all the pokemon and the characters, but I don't need any information about the plot. When I played XY, even though I'd spoiled myself on everything, it still felt brand new and awesome to me. Even if you "know everything," there are still tons of things you don't know. Like the pokemon's moves, their locations, how to do certain things. Stuff like how to get certain berry mutations in XY were unknown for a long time, and so were the new pokemon's movesets, or how to evolve some of them--you couldn't just search it up.

I feel like when we are given the surface-level information before the actual content, we can appreciate that surface-level stuff more. I mean, what's more exciting, getting art of a gym leader and looking at every detail to try to figure out what type gym they run, or seeing a partial bit of that art in the game for the first time, very briefly in the cut scene, already knowing what type gym they are because the story told you already, and then dismissing it to get on with the battle? If anything, there's more mystery in looking at the spoilers to me. You get the pieces without the whole, which makes it more surprising when you get the rest.

Spoiled.

Never in my life have I been an anti-spoiler person and I can't bring myself to be. It sucks since I feel like most people (at least, my friends I talk to) are non-spoiler people which makes it hell when I wanna talk about things like that sometimes. I've never had issue personally also because my imagination tends to be way off than what ends up happening.

As unspoiled as possible. As far as I'm concerned, if Corocoro leaks it or the Official Pokemon site, it's fair game. I'll be checking in and keeping up with all new Pokemon and gameplay features THEY announce before the game comes out. If we have another situation like XY, however, not looking at anything aside from new Pokemon.

Story details are 100% off limits. I want to discover all of that on my own. So until I get the game in my hands, I won't be watching any playthroughs of it This was how I went through XY and BW/BW2/ORAS in a sense and it's always great~

I usually keep myself blind to the plot, some characters, and how to progress in the actual game. But things like Pokemon and new mechanics, I like to learn about them especially so that I can plan ahead. I do not mind spoilers when it comes new Pokemon and such.

I don't mind learning the things in the promotional material. Although I feel like I splurged way too much during the XY prerelease period with the leaks. And I think that hurt my enjoyment of them in the long run. So like, if Sun/Moon leaks, I'm out of here until the releases.

I tell myself that I don't want anything spoiled for me yet every month I find myself waiting for the next CoroCoro leak.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom