• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Blind or Spoiled - how much do you want to know?

Stratelier

Reaction score
Basically the same question I asked when Gen VI was coming out.

Currently, we didn't get things revealed as much as we got them teased ... the only things we know for certain are the names (Sun/Moon) and release date (end of 2016), everything else is a bunch of conjecture and educated guesswork based on what we saw in the few seconds of development footage we got. Naturally, more trailers and reveals will happen in the following months, we'll be properly introduced to the region, glimpse the first Pokemon, etc., and that's not counting anything that might leak early.

But. The fact that this trailer was more of a tease than a reveal makes me want to be able to jump into Sun or Moon BLIND. Knowing basically nothing about the game, everything is new and everything is a surprise. You can only do this with a game once, y'know! I haven't been able to do that since Gen 3 (which I knew very little about before picking up Emerald), and before that, Gen 1 (by default). Even back in Gen 1, I didn't pick up my Pokemon Red completely blind, as I'd learned about it from watching a friend take his Wartortle from Misty to Surge.

Anyone have a similar inkling? How blind (or, inversely, learned/spoiled) do you want to be about what we'll find in Sun and Moon?

Definitely blind. this time around.

A lot of what took away from my initial enjoyment of X/Y was knowing a majority of the pokemon in advance, and characters, etc. It was my fault for not being able to resist all the pre-release hype though :T

This time around, once we see starters, cover legends, protag, and region, perhaps even a few new pokemon, I'll avoid leaks. It'll be hard though ;_;

I keep myself blind to the story and a lot of locations, but never to what Pokemon are available. I like to plan out my team in advance.

I really don't consider it spoiling me. I like knowing what I'm getting into. Knowing what monsters I'll be fighting doesn't spoil the game for me. Knowing the plot before it happens spoils the game for me. It isn't like I don't know I'm going to come across a bunch of different pokemon, fight gym leaders, and face a villainous organization. That's to be expected and finding out how they look is just how I prepare.

My heart says blind, my brain and everything else says "keep refreshing pages. some underpaid intern has to screw up sometime!"

Serious answer: I'm just going to do what I do every gen...spoil myself to the leaks and previews and then stay off all of the websites I visit until I playthough most of the game.

My heart says blind, my brain and everything else says "keep refreshing pages. some underpaid intern has to screw up sometime!"

Serious answer: I'm just going to do what I do every gen...spoil myself to the leaks and previews and then stay off all of the websites I visit until I playthough most of the game.
This is exactly what I was going to say... I always wish I could stop myself from spoiling everything, but it never happens :(

With gym leaders at least you could just tell yourself that your trainer would want to figure out what kind of opponent they're going up against before they get into the gym. So at least you wouldn't feel as bad looking at the gym leaders before battling them in the game.

I would love to play it blind but don't have the self restraint to not be spoiled. I will probably get it a few days late and by then I will probably know more than people who have been playing since a midnight release.

I'll probably be as spoiled as possible on all the official reveals while doing my best to avoid unofficial leaks.

Oh who am I kidding, I'll be spoiling myself rotten until I get a copy in my own hands

It'll be tough to avoid everything for several months, but I am determined to go into Sun/Moon 100% blind. All I wanna know is the release date, and if there are any pre-order bonuses/special editions at certain stores. That's it. I don't wanna know a single detail. Not one Pokemon, nor location, character, or screenshot. Nothing. 100% blind. I want to see the starters for the very first time when I check their Pokeballs in the professor's lab. Totes blind. But damn it'll be difficult.

I went into Gens V and VI completely spoiled on almost every detail, and that took something away from me. Last time I went into a Pokemon game totally blind was Sapphire, my first Pokemon game ever. I'm gonna get Moon version and go in blind, and it's gonna be beautiful. I just have to be strong in the coming months to avoid everything diligently.

Completely spoiling everything actually ruined B/W for me the first time I played it. So I went into X/Y as blind as I could (I knew the starters, I had seen Fletchling somewhere, but didn't know it evolved into a Fire/Flying-type, and I had seen the Mega Kanto starters). It was fun as heck because I played it along with my two best friends who also tried to not know anything. I remember me evolving my Amaura at level 39 and telling one of them who had Tyrunt and him being confused why it didn't evolve at level 39 (it was nighttime at that point ;D).

I try to go in pretty blind if possible, but I still kinda want to know the starters first forms and I'm also hyped about the new megas...

Also YouTube is a thing and I will probably get spoiled there, as a viewer or a creator.

Well, we will have to see.

Spoiled, if you want to call it that. Knowing certain things beforehand certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment of X/Y.

That said, I really don't want to see story/plot spoilers. Stuff like that I do want kept a secret.

I want to know just as much as GameFreak chooses to reveal. But if you're on the internet, you're bound to know everything. The sources are diverse: from people accidentally forgetting to tag their spoilers, to people who uploads enthusiastic videos and posts and tweets on every single site they're involved in. Can't really blame either side, but there's really no way to avoid them unless you completely cut yourself off from social media - and even then you might get spoiled from a friend in real life who excitedly tells you about the boss battle before you got there.

I just gave up on avoiding spoilers all together.

I like to know a few of the pokemon and what the protagonist looks like, and just a little about the region, but mostly I go in blind. And I have managed this pretty well to where each game was enjoyable with surprises for myself. I didn't even know about scatterbug until I picked up the game and I certainly didn't know it becomes Vivillon until Viola's gym. It was the best experience ever to end up with a pokemon I didn't want, and then somehow fall in love with it.

@The_Doctor; Avoid this area once we have some more information. As for special editions: every once in a while go to google and type in sun and moon special edition or ask your local gamestore. The latter is how I found out about Fates SE. Oh and never use tumblr. (Though some BMG avatars and sigs might spoil you.)

I need to lnow how much Zygarde is in the game, so I'm basucally going tl be readingbjoes discovery thread at the time of the games release. Unless I get it day one, then I'm goinf to go on lockdown.

I can never resist any of the official news, pre-release hype is just too much fun. Also, I went into X/Y partially blind (only knowing all the official news), and it was actually less fun to me? I don't know, I guess I just like to know what I'm getting into and find it hard to decide which Pokémon to keep on my team without knowing what else I'm going to meet.

So next to the official news, I at least want to know all the available Pokémon (just the designs) and I can never resist looking at all the trainer designs once they're leaked. But I do try to avoid knowing all routes and Pokémon locations and stats and all that detailed stuff.

I hope they don't reveal as much as they did with XY and ORAS. ORAS had basically nothing kept secret and XY showed something like 45/69 of the new Pokemon before release. Which was disappointing.

I'm not sure what I will do right now since there's lots of time to decide. But I'm fairly certain that new Pokemon games are my kryptonite and the one thing I have very little willpower to stop myself with.

"My mind keeps telling me no... but my body, my body's telling me yes refresh!"

I want to be spoiled. So when I'm started my brand new journey.. I'm readeee!!

hmmmm... maybe this time just a little. only the basic things becauise im so hyped! and curious ><
and i think i will see just a few pokemons, but i don't want to find out so much about then until I have the game (i'll try)
but this time i won't see any gameplay before play. afortunately this time will be release at the same time worldwide >o<

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom