• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Blind or Spoiled - how much do you want to know?

I'd like tidbits such as info about some of the legendaries and starts released gradually every so often. The regions name I would probably want to know before anything else.

I don't mind spoilers but if it's information that is the most important to everything like mostly the story then i tend to keep my distance and besides there is always a certain person in my house who will tell me everything anyway so:D

I want to know all of it. Could never resist getting up to check if news appears on websites.

Well, with CoroCoro expected to contain some Sun/Moon reveals (that will likely be uploaded to the Internet before it hits physical shelves), now might be a good time to put the shields up....

I admire those who say they will go in blind. It takes a lot of determination and perseverance to shut yourself out of the media loop to avoid spoilers - especially when it comes to Pokemon. It's not easy, and especially hard not to give in to temptation. I don't think I could do it, so I really admire those who can and say they will.

But, real talk, I do think that people playing blind should take some advice when given to avoid making mistakes or wasting a lot of time. I remember back when DP was first released and I was talking to a friend I had at the time who was playing blind. He was raising a Pachirisu and was really hopeful that it would evolve, and was spending a lot of time training it with that hope in mind. I didn't want him to waste his time on it thinking it would evolve, so I kept trying to tell him that Pachirisu doesn't. But he kept dismissing it as "NO SPOILERS!!"

Seriously, how does telling someone "It cannot evolve" count as a spoiler? Telling someone that it can and how would the spoiler, wouldn't it? I shouldn't think warning someone would be spoiling the game for them.

I would want more spoilers in the anime , they could introduce there the region and maybe a full team of 6 new pokes at the league with a trainer that beats Ash becuse he is too surprised and not ready for what he sees. This would be the best way to introduce new pokemon , new abilities and few new moves. The best way to show a fully evolved starter, the one that like "Delphox" would need a anime appearance first to shine more and gain in the minds of fans.

If somebody is coming here knowing that here are "spoilers" means that he wants to know them...

Seriously, how does telling someone "It cannot evolve" count as a spoiler?
Potentially anything you learn from an outside source as opposed to the game itself could qualify as some level of spoiler. Now if he checked his Pokedex, maybe he'd notice how there are no empty spots between Pachirisu and Buizel to leave room for an evolution in the listing.

In gen V and VI I pretty much everything got spoiled for me and I hated it. Before having the game (especially in Gen V) I already knew everything. That really takes away a lot of enjoyment.
I will try to stay unspoiled, but that will probably be hard and it will mean I'll have to stop coming here, avoid spoilers in twitter, tumblr, facebook etc. That's going to be very hard.

I got spoiled for a lot of X and Y soooo...

I think I'd prefer to go in blind for this one. Well, not totally blind, that'd be impossible with all the social media covering it, but preferably I'd like to avoid seeing spoilery clips and whatnot. I'm fine with seeing what our villains, gym leaders, professor, etc look like and that's it!

Potentially anything you learn from an outside source as opposed to the game itself could qualify as some level of spoiler. Now if he checked his Pokedex, maybe he'd notice how there are no empty spots between Pachirisu and Buizel to leave room for an evolution in the listing.
The guy wasn't particularly smart. Pretty sure he caught a Buizel by the time he trained the Pachirisu.

I'm going to try and go into this game as blind as possible. When XY came out I felt like I already knew everything and it took some enjoyment out of the game for me. This time though, I really want to go into Sun and Moon barely knowing anything so I can be surprised by all the new pokemon and features. I don't know if I'll be successful, since I also love being able to talk about pokemon online and with my friends, but I'm seriously going to try.

I'm going to try and go in as blind as possible, but I know me. I know that I'll put up a token resistance and then find out every little thing that is out there... :(

I want to jump naked into a pool full of spoilers and roll around in them, inhaling them and drinking them in. Does that answer the question? :p

But seriously, I don't even consider leaks 'spoilers' because they spoil nothing for me. It's not like a book or a TV show, where finding out who dies and who gets married etc can kill your enjoyment because you're no longer in suspense about it. Games are something to experience firsthand. If someone tells me there's going to be a dolphin Pokemon in the game, what does it spoil? All it means is that I can plan for a dolphin Pokemon to join my team, and get excited about its movepool and possible evolutions. If someone shows me the evolutions and movepool too, then I am better equipped to decide how it can help me on my journey, as a potential team member or HM slave. Nothing has been spoiled. Instead, Lady Sasaki is a happy, eager little fangirl making grabby hands at the new game because she's wanted a dolphin Pokemon for years, lol.

For me, I'd like to know region name, evil team name, starters, and what the region map looks like. Basically everything that normally gets released beforehand except for who the local mythicals are (which invariably happens anyway because movies). I'd also like to know if there's a built-in randomized trainers option, though that's never going to happen.

Everything else, keep it under wraps for me please.

If someone tells me there's going to be a dolphin Pokemon in the game, what does it spoil?
On the other hand, what if they're joking and got your hopes up for nothing?

Games are something to experience firsthand.
Agree, agree, agreed. And there's a certain magic to that first-time firsthand discovery of something you had zero foreknowledge whatsoever about.

On the other hand, what if they're joking and got your hopes up for nothing?

Well, the topic of this thread is 'blind or spoiled, how much do you want to know?', not 'how do you feel about leaks'? If a someone says the're gonna be a dolphin Pokemon, I obviously take it with a grain of salt until it's CoroCoro confirmed, up on the official site or in some kind of trailer.

And there's a certain magic to that first-time firsthand discovery of something you had zero foreknowledge whatsoever about.

Nope. Not to someone who likes everything planned out to the letter because they *need* to know pretty much what they're expecting. I'm one of those people, and it's one of the reasons I enjoy leaks - they take away the element of uncertainty. Something in the game I have 'zero foreknowledge' about is unpleasant to me. I enjoy the games at their fullest by knowing which Pokemon should and shouldn't be on my team, which gym leaders I will be facing (and their rosters), and where I'm going. Anything less is not a fun experience.

Nope. Not to someone who likes everything planned out to the letter because they *need* to know pretty much what they're expecting. I'm one of those people, and it's one of the reasons I enjoy leaks - they take away the element of uncertainty. Something in the game I have 'zero foreknowledge' about is unpleasant to me. I enjoy the games at their fullest by knowing which Pokemon should and shouldn't be on my team, which gym leaders I will be facing (and their rosters), and where I'm going. Anything less is not a fun experience.
Basically me in a shellnut. Last time I tried playing a Pokémon game blind (Pokémon Diamond, if you want to know), it was a nightmare. Not putting myself through that again.

Honestly, I feel like the best experience of a game is blind. I've managed to steer clear of FE Fates spoilers for two months now so I can play the games fresh, and boy is it hard. Stuff like that ruins the overall experience and surprise of a game for me. Sure, it'd be nice to know just a bit, like maybe the starters, legendaries, and player/character design, but nothing of the plot or much past that.

I managed to do the same thing I'm currently doing for FE Fates for XY when they first came out (mostly due to my shriveling activity on this forum around that time) and the resulting experience left me happier about those games that it seems the general majority, who hadn't, were.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom