• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Blind or Spoiled - how much do you want to know?

I really hope they don't show as much. I went into XY knowing everything and it really ruined the magic for me. With games I like to do my first playthrough semi blind and then go back and engrossing myself in knowledge about all the mechanics and secrets in a game when doing subsequent playthroughs. Knowing everything without the community knowing all the ins and outs leaves me on a stale middle ground.

May 10 ... next Tuesday ... then it's go time.

I suppose I'm fine with the name of the new region and that one bird we already know about, but I'd still like to keep the starters off my radar if possible. And basically anything that's not going to be visible from the box.

Obviously the hard part will be avoiding images. Text is easy to ignore, but....

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't want to be completely blind. I want to at least know the mascot Legendary Pokemon, the starters, the region, and at least 15 Pokemon. I don't want to know 60% of the Pokemon though and every new feature the games have to offer. We got too much in X and Y and while I want less, don't want to be completely blind.

A mix of both, really. I'd want to know the new Pokémon, Gym Leaders, Elite Four and other important NPCs, and that's about it. Important battles' rosters too - after X, I'd really rather not fork out money for a game that turns out to be incredibly easy.

I want to know as less as possible. The ideal is to know only the first stage of the starters, the box legendaries, the region name and the new features! If they reveal region map, gym leaders, story plot etc this will ruin most of my enjoyment while playing. I want something like was happening in good old times. I remember my surprise in GSC when I finished the main story and when I was about to get bored and give up the game, I discovered that you can revisit Kanto, travel through routes and cities and battle again the old gym leaders!!!!!

Spoiled is fine with me.

I like the news pockets, they're fun to look forward to.

Early game stuff is fine: starters, professors, main characters etc. But I'd rather not have anything past the first gym revealed (bar box mascots and the occasional non-reveal-y screenshot).

I checked the official site just for a few minutes this morning. There were images of the new Pokemon, starter Pokemon, a link to the trailer, but for now the only thing that actually caught my attention were the box legendaries. They're simply unavoidable, and the solar lion's design is quite impressive. (I paid so little attention to anything else I didn't even catch their names, just their looks.)

To be honest I want to know everything from a mechanics and Pokemon standpoint, the part I care about is the storyline, I must admit, I spoiled myself with the Delta Episode in ORAS and it just slightly ruined how epic that whole thing really was. It was still very epic and my favorite part of any Pokemon game ever, I just wish I had gone into that blind. So as far as teams and new mechanics, I want to know everything, it's the storyline I want to stay blind from, specifically the climax.

I was completely spoiled for XY which was saddening, same for ORAS.

I didn't want to see the starters but they turned up on Tumblr, oh well.

I only wanted to know the version exclusives, protag's appearance and if I'm able to customize them and how so.

I'll try to avoid spoilers as much as possible, including Pokemon since I want that amazing feeling I had when I first played Pokemon. I don't want to see the starter's evolution either.

Gonna split it by what I want to know and what we'll likely end up knowing

What I want:
-Only around 30% of the new Pokémon revealed
-Around half the mega evolutions revealed
-3-4 gym leaders shown
-Only Elite Four silhouettes, leave the champion a complete surprise
-Most of the new features (if, say, Secret Bases and/or soaring come back, they should be a surprise,
but reveal things like the new gadget, interactions gimmicks etc)
-Evil team name, grunts, leave the boss a surprise
-Barely any new moves, items, abilities revealed

What we'll end up knowing:
-Around 80% of the new Pokémon
-All the new megas
-Every gym leader along with signature Pokémon
-Elite Four and champion, E4's signature Pokémon revealed
-Every new feature in great detail
-Evil team name, grunts, boss
-A lot of new moves, no items, most new abilities

I want to be sort of at a halfway point between the two. I want to be spoiled enough that it gives me some general ideas of what to expect, some of the newer Mons (not a lot, maybe 25-30%), perhaps a few moves (especially the first stage starters move pools), a couple of the mechanics (such as a DexNav 2.0 and so on), and enough to build a prototype team. Oh, and maybe the next evo stage of the starters, but much later down the line, like maybe in September. But I want most of the "big stuff", such as head honchos of villain team, most Gym Leaders (except the first, but only his/her design), E4, and Champion to remain a mystery. Oh, and no ace Mons of any of the "big players" like aforementioned villain team, GL, E4, and Champion, or even any at all. That's what I'm hoping for, but I suspect that what @BrandonHappened will be the most likely outcome.

I want to be sort of at a halfway point between the two. I want to be spoiled enough that it gives me some general ideas of what to expect, some of the newer Mons (not a lot, maybe 25-30%), perhaps a few moves (especially the first stage starters move pools), a couple of the mechanics (such as a DexNav 2.0 and so on), and enough to build a prototype team. Oh, and maybe the next evo stage of the starters, but much later down the line, like maybe in September. But I want most of the "big stuff", such as head honchos of villain team, most Gym Leaders (except the first, but only his/her design), E4, and Champion to remain a mystery. Oh, and no ace Mons of any of the "big players" like aforementioned villain team, GL, E4, and Champion, or even any at all. That's what I'm hoping for, but I suspect that what @BrandonHappened will be the most likely outcome.
Saddening isn't it.
Imagine having played XY without having already seen Pyroar, Aegislash, Noivern, Barbaracle or Goodra's lines at all? The excitement that'd bring.

X/Y was the first time I got into pre-release info seeking, and it was a blast. All the discussion and theories. It's the reason I joined this forum. I, personally, am looking forward to doing that again. Plus I'm a really boring person, and it gives me something to talk about with you all. Long story short: spoil away.

This is a pokemon game.

It's not like there's anything worth spoiling plotwise and I'd welcome a heads up on any really good mons.

Saddening isn't it.
Imagine having played XY without having already seen Pyroar, Aegislash, Noivern, Barbaracle or Goodra's lines at all? The excitement that'd bring.
Yeah ... I can count on one hand the number of Kalos Pokemon that I had absolutely zero foreknowledge about, even from in-game NPC trainers. Binacle came out of the blue while I was smashing rocks, and while I'm not a fan of the design it was a surprise nonetheless. That first wild Hawlucha though, sent my hype level well over 9000 and I had to make space in my party for her NOW.

Yeah ... I can count on one hand the number of Kalos Pokemon that I had absolutely zero foreknowledge about, even from in-game NPC trainers. Binacle came out of the blue while I was smashing rocks, and while I'm not a fan of the design it was a surprise nonetheless. That first wild Hawlucha though, sent my hype level well over 9000 and I had to make space in my party for her NOW.
For me it was Bergmite and Avalugg, although I'd heard the name Avalugg before that. But seeing a wild Bergmite having never seen it before was so so exciting.
Thing is, I spoiled Gen IV and a lot of Gen V for myself. Before DP came out I looked at every new Pokémon in great detail, and with BW I skimmed through all the Pokémon but I ended up knowing all of them but nothing about them.
First time I played Ruby, I didn't use the internet, and I found out about Ruby from adverts on TV, and because I read magazines and watched the show I knew a lot of the new Pokémon, but I'll never forget my first time seeing Snorunt and thinking "what the HELL is that?!", and I want that again
Thanks to the internet, it's not easy

I live in Europe and have American friends. There is no going in blind for people like me, because once again, Europe gets the game nearly a week later than the rest of the world. With XY Nintendo gave us a taste again of how it was to go into the games partially blind and finding stuff out for ourselves for the first time since probably Gen III.

Just the Pokemon really. Some new features. Keep gyms and story details private.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom