• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Blue And Yellow: Deciding which one was the true Third Version to GenI

Which is the true Third Version of GenI?

• Blue

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Yellow

Votes: 91 72.2%

• Total voters
Again, you people take the the term too literally. What we are looking for is a game that takes place in the same region in the same timeline and uses the same plot except for minor changes to the plot as well as gamepley.

Again, I propose that we all just start using the term "Deluxe Version" because its much more appropirate.

I must say Yellow, since it has major changes from the previous 3 versions.

But let's not forget, FireRed/LeafGreen is now and currently the canon games for the Kanto region plot on the timeline, replacing Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow. Although no references of Yellow was shown on the actual FireRed/LeafGreen game, it's, at least, shown in HeartGold/SoulSilver that FireRed/LeafGreen's plot also incorporated Yellow's plot, with Red having a team that is based on the Yellow game, with his Pikachu as his starter Pokemon, of course, his Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise which are the starters that Red got in Yellow throughout his journey (although not in FireRed/LeafGreen), his Snorlax that was obviously got from Celadon City's exit by waking it up using a Poke Flute, and a Lapras which he got in Silph Co. during Team Rocket's Kanto takeover (forget Espeon, as Gold, Silver, and Crystal were replaced by HeartGold/SoulSilver in the timeline).

And regarding Red and Green's (Japanese)/Blue's (English) naming in HeartGold/SoulSilver, it could be understandable in Gold, Silver, and Crystal's case if they will have the Yellow and Blue names, but on HeartGold/SoulSilver, I guess the names makes sense since these games were supposed to be the sequels to FireRed/LeafGreen.

Thanks! :)

But if you can't handle that just say that Blue is the true one but remember this, it's just a game based off of a comic book made by people who don't even know you exist so take it easy.

Wait, what? The original games were based on comic? No, definately no.

@bian: Basically what I was going to say.

I originally stated that Yellow would be the canon version, being newer than the others, and being filled by GS (Later only Crystal due more retcon). Later it was then retconned by FRLG, and Crystal was finally retconned by HG/SS. The problem here is this though: HG/SS still shows us Red having the Yellow team, which he could not have got in FR/LG canon.

So, would this mean that Yellow never retconned RBG, and FRLG retconned them but not Yellow? Which would mean Yellow is the only GenI canon game, and thusly also FRLG never had any bearing.

If this was the case, Yellow would be considered totally different to Red, Green and Blue, and since it was not part of the original oness then, that would make Blue the "true" 3rd version.

So, maybe the GenI should be considered as the Yellow being a "story" version of the original games?

Of course, this would mean Sevii Islands never existed. Which I can see some problems regarding 3rd gen...

@Baron Dante: But still, FR/LG are prequels to HG/SS, as this has been officially confirmed by Game Freak also, but just like what you've said, the problem is Red having a Yellow team when he did not get Pikachu as a starter in FR/LG.

So a possible solution for this is FR/LG having a different canon in HG/SS than the ones on the actual FR/LG games, having some additional plot from Yellow than the plot of the actual FR/LG games and thus, upgraded/updated, and that is having Pikachu as his starter, then getting his other 5 Pokemon on the methods that is same as getting them in Yellow. Then, between the timeline FR/LG and Platinum/HG/SS, Pikachu already decided to come in on a Pokeball. Of course, the FR/LG exclusives is also canon (Sevii Islands, etc.) but just like what I've said, FR/LG's canon in HG/SS has some additional or extra plot from Yellow, although not shown in the actual FR/LG games. :)

Hmm... I suppose that as FR/LG are canon, that would mean, as ironic as it is, is that Red just happens to have Pikachu (Maybe he never found a Thunderstone? xD), traded the starters. got a Snorelax, and an evolved Eevee.

The Espeon was retconned though. But aside from the starters (And Pikachu), all three (Including Both Espeon and Lapras) are pokemon that you got from an in-game event. You got Snorlax from waking one up, Lapras from Silph Co., and Eevee came from somewhere. Of course, considering Yellow, all of the remaining ones (4 starters) also came from in-game events)

Red got the starters from an in-game event that is similar to the in-game event in Yellow (which we will assume that it happened in FR/LG's canon in HG/SS). Regarding Espeon, it's already retconned in HG/SS since it was replaced by Lapras and Green/Blue supposed to have the Eevee anyway since it's his starter. Although it's possible that Red's Espeon came from the Eevee that he got at Celadon Mansion and that during Platinum/HG/SS's timeline, he managed to evolve it into Espeon, but he did not use it in HG/SS and placing it on the PC instead.

Also, I forgot to say that Red's clothes in HG/SS is the same as the one in FR/LG, so I guess it's already obvious that FR/LG are the official canon games. :)

I believe it's Blue, as it was the third game to be released and is slightly different from Red/Green. I could see how people think it's Yellow, but yet again it's the same game just with modifications. If we are talking about any other country besides Japan, then Yellow.

Again, too literal. It doesn't matter which was the third game to be released. What matters are the changes made to the game to justify it being a different game. In technical terms, Blue is more of a remake than a Deluxe version.

Agrees.

I honestly think that Yellow was a Deluxe Version of Red,Blue and Green.

This.

There wasn't anything significant that distinguished Blue from Red or Green, and Yellow introduced several new aspects to the game. I'm going to give the prize to Yellow in this case.

And also, the Pokemon's moveset on GSC incorporated the Pokemon's moveset from Yellow, like Pikachu for example. Its moveset in GSC is the same as its moveset in Yellow. If it's just an "anime spin-off main series Pokemon game", GSC should have used the Pokemon's moveset from Blue instead. :)

But can both FR/LG and HG/SS (Or earlier, Crystal) be canon, when in FR/LG one of the Dogs is roaming Kanto? They were only awakened 3 years later.

None. Blue was the same as RG with barely any changes and Yellow was a special edition that isn't canon unlike other third versions.

Gameplay and Story segregation. And no, the Legenedary Beasts weren't 'awakened' in HGSS.

I thought they were, when you go into the basement of the burned tower. They were already awake, but they hadn't left their sanctuary until then.

But it looks like that they did.

Platnium was a Deluxe of D/P,so why cant we have a Deluxe of 3 games?

But can both FR/LG and HG/SS (Or earlier, Crystal) be canon, when in FR/LG one of the Dogs is roaming Kanto? They were only awakened 3 years later.
They're the current canon games by now, FR/LG replaced Yellow in the canon (although it's plot is mixed with the Yellow plot in it's canon in HG/SS), and HG/SS replaced Crystal in the canon. But just like what Ranger Jack Walker said, gameplay and story-wise. The only reason the legendary beasts were obtainable in FR/LG is that so you can get one of them since that's the only way you can get them on the Generation III games on that time, so they're not canon.

No the beasts in FRLG are canon. There could easily be more than one trio of beasts or it could be the same one as in HGSS. The beasts in HGSS weren't exactly sleeping there and awakened by the player. They were just present there. at that moment.

No the beasts in FRLG are canon. There could easily be more than one trio of beasts or it could be the same one as in HGSS. The beasts in HGSS weren't exactly sleeping there and awakened by the player. They were just present there. at that moment.

This makes sense. And it's not like Kanto is far from Johto anyways.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom