• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Blue And Yellow: Deciding which one was the true Third Version to GenI

Which is the true Third Version of GenI?

• Blue

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Yellow

Votes: 91 72.2%

• Total voters
Literally, "Blue" was the third version released. So in release order, it's third.

If you mean "third version" as the expanded re-release, as a parallel to Crystal/Emerald/Platinum, then Yellow fits that role much better. Blue added nearly nothing to the games, whereas in Yellow they added quite a few gameplay elements and generally expanded upon the game.

So, it just depends on your definition of "third version."

Which is why I agree with the term 'Deluxe Version' because it defines it better.In this case anyway.

Here's how I see it:

In Japan:
Red
Green
Blue (Third version)

In America:
Red
Blue
Yellow (Third version)

Again, you take the term too literally. Numerical order has absolutely nothing to do with what we are looking for.

Well Yellow was the last to come out so it was obviously the third version of Red and Blue.

I say yelow, because it adds more gameplay features, and changes up the story a bit. When I think R/G third version, I think yellow. Japanese blue is said to have a unique storyline, so agian, your definition of third version is what it comes down to. Why don't you E-mail Ken Sugimori?

They both were "third versions" in Japan. But Yellow was released everywhere else, so it's more recognised as the true third version.

Well for me from an American stand point I would have to say Yellow. Considering we didn't start with red and grren then get blue. We had red and blue. I actually only found out about green recently. I remember hearing about it when I was younger but I was told I think that it was something like yellow where you get a bulbasaur to start with or something.

Too many people taking the term too literally. Again, I propse we officially replace 'Third Version' by 'Deluxe Version.'

Too many people taking the term too literally. Again, I propse we officially replace 'Third Version' by 'Deluxe Version.'

That's because the title of "third version" IS to be taken literally. It's a fan-made title given to games subsequently released after their related pairs, and on that basis, Blue is the third version.

Now, if the term "deluxe version" was ever adopted among the fandom as either a replacement or alternative to "third version", then yes, a much more arguable case could be made for Yellow then. But as it is, neither Nintendo nor GameFreak has ever used the term "third version", nor have they ever specified either Blue or Yellow as the true third counterpart to Red and Green. But by taking the literal meaning of the title which the fandom has stuck with for many years, Blue is the literal third version. No ifs, ands, or buts.

If we take the term literally, there is nothing to discuss and this thread is compleletly pointless. :\

I believe the thread is for discussing which version can be more accurately called the predecessor to versions like Crystal, Emerald and Platinum. Otherwise there is nohing to discuss. Blue is the literal third version. But a deluxe version? Thats can be debated.

Japanese Blue updated the graphics and pokemon sprites. Also, the in-game trades are all different. Some wild Pokemon locations are different, but most are the same as Red and Green.

Yellow changed the graphics, sprites and in-game trades, like Japanese Blue, but it is a lot more like a true third version. For example, a lot of the wild pokemon locations are changed. For example, Ponyta can be caught on Route 17 in Yellow, not in Cinnabar Mansion. But Raticate can be caught in Cinnabar Mansion(which makes more sense than Ponyta), unlike any other version. Also, extras are added, like the ability to obtain all 3 starters, and the Pikachu's Beach minigame. A lot of the Gym Leader's pokemon have also changed.

All rare Safari Zone pokemon are slightly to a lot more common. And, of course, Pikachu follows you.
there were also slight changes to the plot, to make it more like the anime.

Therefore, while literally talking, Blue is Japan's Third Version, Yellow is much more like a "deluxe" version.

But it would have been nice to have gotten all 4 versions, instead of 3. After all, Japanese Blue is the only version in which you can obtain Kangaskhan and Tauros outside of the Safari Zone...

Last edited:
I voted by experience. At the time, all I knew was Red and Blue, and then Yellow came out. So for me, Yellow is the 'third version'.

I say Yellow. Yellow added more to the games that Red/Green/Blue (American Blue) didn't have in my opinion.
Then again I can't really judge because I never played the Japanese Blue, so I don't really know how much different that version is from Japanese Red/Green.

I consider the third game to be the "canon" game in the timeline. Yellow.. Is the anime in game form; not canon essentially, or its own timeline (similar to how the remakes change the timelines).

Blue is literally the third game, plus it changed the sprites and layout so it's not exactly identical.

So for me it's Blue. Yellow is sort of a fourth game, or a revision ("deluxe"?) .

Maybe Yellow could be canon, but you'd have to take out most of what makes Yellow Yellow and leave it simply as "Blue with new sprites and a Pikachu starter".

Last edited:
I count yellow as kind of an extra game, because it's based on the anime.

Blue. It did have changes from Red and Green, and fixed up glitches, like the Doko Kashira Door. Same thing for Platinum. Fixed most of the tweaking glitch. Though Yellow is somewhat the same (Missingno fixed), Blue was third. Notice. Doko Kashira is similar to tweaking. Except Doko Kashira messed up ram. Blue fixed Doko Kashira, different prizes, different layout of Cerulean Cave, and different wild pokemon. But Yellow fixed up a famous glitch, it is similar to the Anime (which I hate), and you can get ALL 3 Kanto starters without trading. So I consider Blue.

Due yo the fact that Blur is paired with Red in the international sceane Yellow is the 3rd version for everywhere exceot fir japan everywhere else Blue is one of the duel versions... About the Beasts... It's pretty obvious there are more then one trio of Beasts because remeber the beasts in Orre they are cannonicly caught by Wesans purified unless Wes randomly released them and they somehow made it all the way to Johto besides Collo and FR/LG hapen around the same time and they have beasts running asround in both regions simatanionsly

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom