• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Blue And Yellow: Deciding which one was the true Third Version to GenI

Which is the true Third Version of GenI?

• Blue

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Yellow

Votes: 91 72.2%

• Total voters
Silktree makes a good point with Blue's team. We Could assume that he just decided not to keep his Vaporeon/Flareon/Jolteon on his main team and retired it. However, the question is always being asked if Yellow is completely canon then why is pkachu in a pokeball?

It's an obvious reference to Yellow, but again, things aren't that simple: Neither Blue nor the Gym Leaders have any of their Yellow-exclusive Pokémon, and nothing suggests that Jessie or James ever existed
To add to this, if Yellow version was the canon, then Red would take his Yellow default name of Yellow, and Blue in Japan would also be named Blue, and not Green as that is his Japanese default name.

Instead they went with the names for the first two versions for Japan, and the first two versions released in the west for the English games.

That's why pointing to GSC/HgSs to choose which one was canon isn't something you should be doing as they had taken pieces from all the original games.

And the difference with Blue and Yellow is that the Rival was given both Red and Green as his default names. Yellow on the other hand was unambiguous for both the player character and the rival, so if they were choosing it as canon, they could have easily just named Red Yellow, and Green as Blue in Japan, but they didn't.

... Sometimes some of the Pokemon fandom seem like a bunch of stickers when it comes to this sort of thing.
Instead of saying "Gen I had two updated versions, one with graphical enhancements released in Japan only, and one based on the two original English versions but influenced by the anime series"

we have to say

"Gen I had two updated versions. One was the official OFFICIAL canon version and one was based on the anime and was Special-"
"No, I think that Yellow was the third version because Blue had little changes-"
"No! Blue was the 3rd version and Yellow was a SPECIAL one, because Blue was a true graphical enhancement on the first two!"
"But it didn't have any plot changes! The CRITERIA for 3rd versions clearly includes 'plot changes or updates'!"
"We must start a thread about this!!"

-_-
Instead of just being happy with saying "The Updated Version was different depending on where you live"
we instead have to decide on the "criteria" for a 3rd version. What...?
Unless we get an OFFICIAL list of criteria for what makes an "Updated version the true canon version", which I doubt we will, then all we have is what seems to be in most third versions... (and therefore these are rules that must be in an updated version for it to be considered the proper one?)

How about this: "In Generation I, there were 2 Updated Versions."

as for which one's canon... probably still up for debate.
In my opinion, the canonicity of Gen I and Gen II games hardly matters since the timeline seemed to get 'erased and restarted' starting with RSFRLG.

Last edited:
^This, so friggin' hard.
Why does there need to be a "true" third version? Can't they both be true? It's so simple. Generation I simply had 4 versions. In the credits of FRLG, they show all FOUR version mascots. It's like with Wally and Brendan/May; which one is the rival? You put them together and you get what is essentially the third version of a generation.

yellow. It was the 3rd gen I game released worldwide...therefore its the 3rd version in my eyes.

Yellow, this is America, therefore, America's third version, is the third version to me.

@Above: Yes, and the other world is not America.

That said, If we think this logically (I'm not accounting my opinion here, nor do I really have one):
Because Blue doesn't have his Eeveelution in HG/SS (Well, not G/S/C either) it means either he does not use it, or he simply never had it.

Assuming he never had it, Yellow did not happen. Then, R/G(/B) have been since retconned by FR/LG (Blue in brackets since the remake for that game wasn't released, so assuming it is not thought as the same as R/G, it is not retconned.) Of course, the retconning may go as far that the remakes of the Gen simple work out over all versions, which would truly mean that Yellow is not canon in any sense. (This also works over G/S/C)

Also, Yellow does not offer "Red" as a default name. Red does. So by extension, Red would be true canon version, while that would leave Green, Blue, and Yellow to not be canon and just be there.

The thing is though, that from canonical side of things, Yellow would be a totally different thing, and thusly, Blue would be the 3rd game.

Of course, all this shit can be taken even further on canonity, even though not related to this topic:
R/G we're retconned by Blue (Although, story didn't chance, so it really retconned nothing.). Then came Yellow, which most likely is not canon due to the reasons explained above. After this, we got G/S, which we're retconned by Crystal. After this, R/S. Then FR/LG retconned Blue (And, even if Yellow was the canon game, also that). Emerald retconned R/S. Entering D/P, retcon by Pt, and finally getting to HG/SS, retconning Crystal. Of course, B/W is there, but not relevant.

...make what you will of that.

... Well, this is a needlessly complicated big ball of complicatedness, isn't it?

I would like to point out that there's no way that FRLG and Blue could've happened; it was one or the other (though I'm guessing most would obviously pick FRLG). Blue, Yellow and Crystal have been "erased" from the timeline by their respective remakes. The "new canon" of FRLG HGSS took their place and re-sorted out everything.

Yellow ^^
But, you can't catch Meowth there, but still..
Meowth looked ugly in Yellow
Blue and Red he was cute :3

Why can't we all just shut up and say that Gen I is awesome because it was the only one with a FOURTH version? :3

There's nothing awesome about that. Despite having two deluxe versions, they still changed less compared to Emerald and Platinum individually did.

I still think people are taking the 'Third Version' Part too literally and voting for blue as its the numerically third version.

Think Deluxe version which introduces plot changes, graphical changes, additions to gameplay, etc. Thats what we are voting on.

depends on which part of the world you live in. if you live in Japan then it's blue and if you live anywhere else then it is yellow.

I agree with everyone who says that Blue is Japan's third and Yellow is everyone else's. But if you can't handle that just say that Blue is the true one but remember this, it's just a game based off of a comic book made by people who don't even know you exist so take it easy.

I agree with everyone who says that Blue is Japan's third and Yellow is everyone else's...

Agrees with this.

You cant say that Blue was the 'third version' as we call because for some Blue was their 'first version' and Yellow was thier 'third version'

I guess that it would depend on what launguage you were talking about.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom