• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Box legendaries?

I think they look pretty cool. i only have one criticism and it's not that big of a deal. It's the sword. Doesn't quite make sense to me.
If I had to choose between the two mascots (which i love both) I think it would have to be Shield.
They did a great job designing. I was hoping they would reveal their typing but no dice. Any Guesses on what they are??

Not terribly fond of them looking like twins. But I am relieved that they look like actual wolves and not dogs.

Zamazenta is cool and has a name that's much more fun to say but I love :bulbaLove: Zacian :bulbaLove: so much :bulbaLove:

Last edited:
Winter is coming.

Wolves are cool, and the trailer gave me the sense that they are "friendly" or maybe even brothers. I think a Steel typing is just about a given for both of them, but not sure what else could fit other than perhaps Fighting. Only Lucario & Cobalion have that typing, so I think it would be alright to revisit it again.

Zamazenta is my favorite of the two! He is so cool. Definitely going with Shield.

I was surprised that they had the same color scheme. I've come to expect full antitheses and these guys are instead a matched set. Would like to see what their relationship with each other is.

Eh, I don't really like how similar the two wolves look. Other than the sword and shield thematic difference between them, they could almost be the same Pokemon and that bothers me.

well they are probably siblings or twins. and a shield and sword are like a set.

who knows, maybe they can be combined or came from the same source beyond being siblings or twins.

Why have the legendary designs got more and more complicated over the years? Overdesigned is the term I think.

And yet, these are the worst box legends we've seen. The Sword one actually looks cool but for the fact it has a sword in its mouth...who thought that was a good idea? Why even call the games Sword and Shield? It's really daft designing honestly.

The Shield one incorporates "shield" better, but the whole thing is so damn forced. They should have just renamed their games.

It was better when they were just colours and the designs could go anywhere or shapes which have more room to play. Freaking items and having a wolf hold a sword in its mouth is just...how did it get past the ideation stage?

I have to admit they're both growing on me. I still prefer Zacian over Zamazenta even with the inanimate object in its mouth. I guess they're based off of the colors "Cyan" and "Magenta"? That's what everybody's saying but I still don't get the connection. Maybe if the logos got some more color tweaking...

I still think their designs are overcomplicated, but now I find it more interesting than off-putting. It makes me want to have Zacian on my team specifically partnered up with the simpler Gen 1 designs just to appreciate the art contrast.

Sword it is; I really like Zacian's design. I'm not as big on Zamazenta (that's a name I'm gonna have to repeat a few times to remember) but I might warm up to it over time.

. The Sword one actually looks cool but for the fact it has a sword in its mouth...who thought that was a good idea?

the whole thing is so damn forced. They should have just renamed their games.
Pretty sure the concept goes beyond just the titles of the games. Otherwise, Groudon and Kyogre would be based around rocks, and Ho-Oh and Lugia would be based around metals.

To use a more familiar phrase, what will happen when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?
If "unstoppable" means its movement cannot be altered by outside forces, and "immovable" means its position cannot be influenced by outside forces -- (note the similar phrasing) -- then the force must pass through the object unaffected, while the object remains in place unaffected by said force (in other words, each is oblivious to the other). Aren't contradictions fun? (To be fair, the Chinese story is a little more specific in its terms used.) There's also the Greek legend about -- what was it, a dog that always caught its quarry versus a fox that could never be caught?

Anyway, my immediate favorite of the two is Great Wolf Sif Zacian.

Not terribly fond of them looking like twins. But I am relieved that they look like actual wolves and not dogs.
I actually like that. Just the way they interacted with each other in those few seconds showed that they are rivals but friends.

Four-legged animal characters using swords in their mouths has been a thing in popular culture, with Sif from Dark Souls, Amaterasu from Okami, and (albeit a knife, but still) Repede from Tales of Vesperia being popular examples of that. Zacian could be taking cues from those type of examples and it does still work for the direction they're going for with these Pokémon, so I don't think it's that much of an issue for it to wield a sword.

Four-legged animal characters using swords in their mouths has been a thing in popular culture, with Sif from Dark Souls, Amaterasu from Okami, and (albeit a knife, but still) Repede from Tales of Vesperia being popular examples of that. Zacian could be taking cues from those type of examples and it does still work for the direction they're going for with these Pokémon, so I don't think it's that much of an issue for it to wield a sword.
Koromaru from Persona 3 could equip knives, too.

Now that I'm looking at the artworks, my reaction has changed slightly. Zacian doesn't look that good in his artwork, but I like his model. The opposite is how I feel for Zamazenta.

I also prefer Zacian because quadruped with ribbon like structures Pokemon is something I was subconsciously craving for in the past two generations and I finally got it!
The CGI trailer also reminds me of German Shepherds when I see them, cautious and hacking protective
bois!

They were cautious till they found out that it’s each other in the forest and let their guard down. The instant Zacian lets its guard down solidified my choice!
I hope they win against the threat!

Last edited:
View attachment 119311

Pretty sure the concept goes beyond just the titles of the games. Otherwise, Groudon and Kyogre would be based around rocks, and Ho-Oh and Lugia would be based around metals.

But let's take a look back:

Red- Charizard
Green- Venusaur
Blue- Blastoise
Yellow- Pikachu
Gold- Ho-oh
Silver- Lugia
Ruby- Groudon
Sapphire- Kyogre
Emerald- Rayquaza

All of those are the mascot's colour. Also Black (Zekrom) & White (Reshiram).

Sword/Shield from the evidence so far, doesn't work and why they couldn't just call them that without having to lump it into the legendary's design is beyond me. I don't think anyone would be annoyed at that loose tradition.

I actually like Zacian too. Just get rid of the sword because it's dumb and forced. Zamazenta might've been "easier" to add a shield to, but it just makes the design unsalvageable.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom