• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Box legendaries?

I like Zacian and Zamazenta. I wasn't too big on Zamazenta at first, but he's grown on me over the past few days. Zacian always looked cool to me. I actually like the sword being carried in his mouth, because that's something I never would have imagined for a sword-wolf based creature.

Because Game Freak's naming schemes for the games tend to have a greater symbolism for the storyline, the role the games take in the storyline, etc. For example, Black/White was named as such because the storyline focused on opposing ideas and XY was the first 3D games. Sword/Shield's names probably relate to the storyline, the games' location (as one thing UK is known for is its knights and warriors), and maybe in some abstract way relates to being the first console game (although I can't imagine what, but Game Freak sometimes comes up with weird reasons for naming conventions, so maybe it's the same here). So most likely they came up with the theme for the game and story first since it's a more basic and unifying aspect of the game, and then they designed the mascots around that theme.

Anyway, Zacian and Zamazenta's relationship does seem to be interesting. They were fighting at first, but then when the wind picked up it looked like they were teaming up. I wonder what the exact nature of their relationship is?

If I had to guess, they may be rivals. They spar with each other a lot, but they also seem to work together against larger threats.
I never said the names don’t have meaning.

Either way it’s highly doubtful the names of the games came first. It makes more sense completely for that to be decided after the majority of other features.
More so when you realize those wings and fins on Zacian actually detach and merge with the sword to make it more powerful looking. Also I realized that the pommel of Zacian's sword not only looks like a tail fin of a shark or dolphin, but it could also look like a crescent moon. So if its part Fairy, I can understand where it comes from. I also think Zacian is female, mainly because of the oversized pony-tails coming from the sides of its face.
Why do ponytails =female?

If only girls had them then Bruno, Brawley, And Tate are all girls.

More than likely they’re genderless like most legendaries.

I was thinking flying for a moment on Zacian, but judging by the fact that those things detach and join the sword, that’s doubtful.

Watching the trailer again, Zama and Zacian were surprised upon realizing it was each other. So I don’t think they intentionally fought, just accidentally while fighting whatever came at them at te end.

Either way it’s highly doubtful the names of the games came first. It makes more sense completely for that to be decided after the majority of other features.

Why do ponytails =female?

If only girls had them then Bruno, Brawley, And Tate are all girls.

More than likely they’re genderless like most legendaries.

I was thinking flying for a moment on Zacian, but judging by the fact that those things detach and join the sword, that’s doubtful.

Watching the trailer again, Zama and Zacian were surprised upon realizing it was each other. So I don’t think they intentionally fought, just accidentally while fighting whatever came at them at te end.

you are right. however I thought they were referring to the feminine/masculine. esp since legendaries dont have gender. kinda like how cooler colors are often described as feminine instead of masculine or the moon as feminine and sun as masculine or water as feminine and fire as masculine, ect.
Zacian has coolor colors. and is suspected it may have something to do with the moon from what I have heard.

you are right. however I thought they were referring to the feminine/masculine. esp since legendaries dont have gender. kinda like how cooler colors are often described as feminine instead of masculine or the moon as feminine and sun as masculine or water as feminine and fire as masculine, ect.
Zacian has coolor colors. and is suspected it may have something to do with the moon from what I have heard.
I think the colors could also be referring to personality. A shield is usually bulkier and considered good for defense. Usually when you see them in media, they’re used to protect and aren’t usually very mobile. The darker colors could be representative of that stationary factor.

And being the other only has a sword, he’s probably faster. Lighter colors may be to reflect this. Like something moving so fast it’s flying.

I thought it was more likely that they were playfighting or didn't want to fight each other at all.
At first they were cautious, but when they saw each other, they put down their guard (Zacian drops its sword whereas Zamazenta ends up with a milder expression), and they prepare to fight another threat together.

I got the impression that they have a pretty amicable relationship.
I kinda got "Ryu and Ken" vibes from them like other have mentioned said. I wonder if we're going to get it right.

That's what I meant, they were battling against each other, but it didn't really feel like they were bitter enemies, it looked more like friendly sparring. Ryu and Ken is a good comparison to the kind of relationship they seem to have.

The very first thing they came up with for this game? Probably not. But definitely before they decided on the mascot legends.

After thinking about it for a while, I like to be put in the camp that has speculated that the two wolves are actually loosely based on Skoll and Hati, the wolves of norse mythology that chase the sun and the moon. I namely can't get that image out of my head of Zacian's sword having a pommel of what looks like a crescent moon, even though Zamazenta's shield mane doesn't look like anything similar to a sun.

That said, I'm still going with the idea that since they look so much like each other in terms of facial features, that both share the same typing, which to me, as a safe bet, will be Steel/Fighting. Of course, I'm also putting down the types as possiblities to the Steel type that I put down eariler in the main thread. I will just repeat those here underneath.

Zacian:
  1. Steel (mono-type as safest guess)
  2. Steel/Fighting (see above)
  3. Steel/Water (because of the sword taking on a aquatic theme)
  4. Steel/Flying (because of wing blades)
  5. Steel/Ice (because of the blue glow, but there's not much to go on to define it as ice type, so this is unlikely to me)
  6. Steel/Fairy (new) (if Xerneas can be Fairy Type, I can see Zacian as the same. More its sword's pommel looks like it invokes moon imagery)
Zamazenta:
  1. Steel (mono-type as safest guess)
  2. Steel/Fighting (see above)
  3. Steel/Ground (because of its heavy defensive theme. the glow of the shield could be geothermal energy.)
  4. Steel/Fire (the shield has a sort of fiery design to it, and glows like a flame, so I wouldn't be surprised on this choice either)
If not Steel at all, which I doubt based on design, the two wolves could be other types like:

Zacian:
Water, Water/Fighting, Water/Flying, Water/Ice, Water/Fairy, Flying/Ice, Flying/Fairy, Ice/Fairy, or Ice/Fighting.

Zamazenta:
Fighting/Ground, Fighting/Fire (yes I know everyone has a hatred for this type now), and Ground/Fire.

Note, these are just speculations, based on what I saw in their debut trailer, so I'm not claiming any of these as fact. Knowing GF, they could have completely different typing than any of the choices that have been commonly speculated. I'm just putting my chips on combinations that make sense to their design as to how I see it.

Besides that, even though Legendaries are genderless in game, I still think there's some design to them to invoke a feminine and masculine trait in their design. Instead of physical traits defining their supposed gender (in game myth, like Solgaleo and Lunala), I was thinking that maybe these traits could be based on titles instead, that being a Queen and King.

Both have what seem to be a crown-like appendage which also incorporates their ears, so them being a Queen and King of something, perhaps even regarded as royality of Galar, isn't really that much far-farfetched. The crown aspect is even more defined in Zacian's head design. if not royality. Also, if Zacian is part or Mono Water-type, it may even take some inspiration from the Lady of the Lake in Arthurian mythology, being the one who handed Excalibur to Arthur, and as such, the sword in Zacian, when powered up, could be a Pokémon version of Excalibur.

Last edited:
That's neat about the Lady of the Lake stuff. I'm hoping they incorporate some sort of Arthurian or Celtic lore into things this time around. I'm not expecting anything blatantly Tolkienian anymore, but it'd be fun to make the connections with public domain things I know were an inspiration for the legendarium.

I went back and looked at the legendaries we've had in the past and actually I'm rather surprised with how un-complementary their types usually are. Xerneas has a clear advantage over Yveltal, and Kyogre over Groudon in this regard. But then they usually find another way to make it more of an even match, like Oblivion Wing or Desolate Land.

Personally I'd like to see the Beowolfs* buck that trend and have types that really do complement each other in terms of strengths and weakness since they're some of the most joined-at-the-hip so far. Perhaps Zacian could be Fairy/Fighting and Zamazenta could be pure Steel. Not only do the types counterbalance each other when they fight on opposite sides, but they also make a strong combination when they work as a team.

*I know I've been pushing that name too much but it works for me in the same vein as the Muskedeers. It will show up in my fanon in some shape or form, whether as a nickname or a descriptor.

I feel the moon connection with Zacian is flimsy, at least at the moment. When the back 'wings' connect to the sword, it's obviously to balance the hilt against the blade (which has the larger 'wings') since it also gets larger in the change and it's more practical for battle since it'd have a better hold on the weapon. Additionally, nothing about its lore, character, or design that we have links it to the moon or related concepts exclusively, so it comes off as picking at spare details to make a connection that's probably not even there. Same with Zamazenta, except even more since there's no design cues that could be taken as indicative of the sun or similar imagery.

As for what they can be based on, I'm taking a wait and see approach. There's nothing that really connects them to any particular mythology and there's multiple dog and wolf duos that they could take from across the world (ex. the Bisterne Dragon myth, Odin's wolves, etc.) that pinpointing one at this point is basically searching for a needle in a haystack. We probably need to know more about these legendaries before saying which one is which, if even that.

weird that nobody suggest ghost or psychic typing?
Or half normal typing? but fire/steel and ice/steel or water/steel would make more sense.

weird that nobody suggest ghost or psychic typing?
Zacian and Zamazenta don't really give off those kind of vibes, so that's probably why. That being said, Zamazenta could end up being Steel/Psychic though if they give it light barrier powers ala Mr. Mime.

Zacian and Zamazenta don't really give off those kind of vibes, so that's probably why. That being said, Zamazenta could end up being Steel/Psychic though if they give it light barrier powers ala Mr. Mime.

Kings Shield, would desrve it or maybe both will get signature moves of their own.

Vibes are one thing the end result counts.

Kings Shield, would desrve it or maybe both will get signature moves of their own.

Vibes are one thing the end result counts.
I could definitely see Zamazenta having King's Shield while Zacian gets Sacred Sword. Those moves would fit both legendary Pokémon pretty well if you ask me. I do think they'll get their own signature moves regardless.

That's neat about the Lady of the Lake stuff. I'm hoping they incorporate some sort of Arthurian or Celtic lore into things this time around. I'm not expecting anything blatantly Tolkienian anymore, but it'd be fun to make the connections with public domain things I know were an inspiration for the legendarium.

I went back and looked at the legendaries we've had in the past and actually I'm rather surprised with how un-complementary their types usually are. Xerneas has a clear advantage over Yveltal, and Kyogre over Groudon in this regard. But then they usually find another way to make it more of an even match, like Oblivion Wing or Desolate Land.

Personally I'd like to see the Beowolfs* buck that trend and have types that really do complement each other in terms of strengths and weakness since they're some of the most joined-at-the-hip so far. Perhaps Zacian could be Fairy/Fighting and Zamazenta could be pure Steel. Not only do the types counterbalance each other when they fight on opposite sides, but they also make a strong combination when they work as a team.

*I know I've been pushing that name too much but it works for me in the same vein as the Muskedeers. It will show up in my fanon in some shape or form, whether as a nickname or a descriptor.

Oh neat, I didn't think of a possible Fairy/Fighting for Zacian. Its still a unused type, so that combination could fit. I only would give Zamazenta Steel/Fire type, as the shield gives off a fiery feel, especially when it goes into glow mode.

I feel the moon connection with Zacian is flimsy, at least at the moment. When the back 'wings' connect to the sword, it's obviously to balance the hilt against the blade (which has the larger 'wings') since it also gets larger in the change and it's more practical for battle since it'd have a better hold on the weapon. Additionally, nothing about its lore, character, or design that we have links it to the moon or related concepts exclusively, so it comes off as picking at spare details to make a connection that's probably not even there. Same with Zamazenta, except even more since there's no design cues that could be taken as indicative of the sun or similar imagery.

As for what they can be based on, I'm taking a wait and see approach. There's nothing that really connects them to any particular mythology and there's multiple dog and wolf duos that they could take from across the world (ex. the Bisterne Dragon myth, Odin's wolves, etc.) that pinpointing one at this point is basically searching for a needle in a haystack. We probably need to know more about these legendaries before saying which one is which, if even that.

I will not beat around the bush, but yes, the moon connection is super flimsy, not to say, its not something I came up on my own. I got the idea from a YT vid theorizing on it. That said, while there's not much we can go on to determine typing, its still fun to just speculate out in the wild and just go crazy, even though its going to be debunked sooner or later. Its the same thing we do with "so called leaks" that end up fake 9 times out of 10.

Its what I like to do when my interest in Pokémon is at a all-time high, especially with new entries. I mean, I have to talk about something, don't I? At least I'm not one of those many Poketubers getting loads of ad-money from coming up with numerous theories, rumors and what not and posting them as if they have any kind of relevant meaning. I just kinda like to tell a story of my thoughts and ideas regarding new Pokémon games and see how people react to them, and whether they like it or not. You could say, I'm just experimenting, just like I'm doing with trying to figure out the possible typing of the Sword and Shield legends.

Last edited:
I could definitely see Zamazenta having King's Shield while Zacian gets Sacred Sword. Those moves would fit both legendary Pokémon pretty well if you ask me. I do think they'll get their own signature moves regardless.
maybe a fire shielding move and a ??? sword move depending on secondary type? a sword move that could go through any shield would make sense and the only shield that could burn it, you know what I mean?

I will not beat around the bush, but yes, the moon connection is super flimsy, not to say, its not something I came up on my own. I got the idea from a YT vid theorizing on it. That said, while there's not much we can go on to determine typing, its still fun to just speculate out in the wild and just go crazy, even though its going to be debunked sooner or later. Its the same thing we do with "so called leaks" that end up fake 9 times out of 10.

Its what I like to do when my interest in Pokémon is at a all-time high, especially with new entries. I mean, I have to talk about something, don't I? At least I'm not one of those many Poketubers getting loads of ad-money from coming up with numerous theories, rumors and what not and posting them as if they have any kind of relevant meaning. I just kinda like to tell a story of my thoughts regarding new Pokémon games and see how people react to them, and whether they like it or not. You could say, I'm just experimenting, just like I'm doing with trying to figure out the possible typing of the Sword and Shield legends.

That's fair, I was trying to give my two cents and if I came off as bluntly dismissive I didn't intend for that. It's the Anthropology/Mythology enthusiast in me, I like getting more information before giving my own hypothesis.

On the note of the typing speculation, I like your ideas since I do find it fun to see how you're coming to your conclusions with them.

That's fair, I was trying to give my two cents and if I came off as bluntly dismissive I didn't intend for that. It's the Anthropology/Mythology enthusiast in me, I like getting more information before giving my own hypothesis.

Its okay. You're free to sound your own opinion. Its like I said in my bigger post that my speculation still always stays just that: speculation. I just like to go in a lot of detail even though the chance is high I may be wrong with a lot of things. Its just fun to speculate and make wild guesses. I mean, the Legendary trailer hasn't shown much, so I can understand all reasons you would want to have more information to actually come with a better approach/theory regarding these Legends.

I'm just literally throwing ideas out there, especially typing, as there can be many possibilities.

On the note of the typing speculation, I like your ideas since I do find it fun to see how you're coming to your conclusions with them.

Thanks for the compliment, appreciate it! I always try to build my ideas and speculation with believeable information that would make sense in some way, even if some ideas are a bit out there :LOL:

One thing Im going to be sure about, is that I have possibly covered every single possible type combination that could fit with these legends, with Fairy/Fighting being the only one I haven't thought of, as suggested by ItalianBaptist

I will be very surprised if none of these suggested types are any of the types used for the Legends. Now that will be shocking!

Last edited:
maybe a fire shielding move and a ??? sword move depending on secondary type? a sword move that could go through any shield would make sense and the only shield that could burn it, you know what I mean?

If @Geo Panthera is correct and Zamazenta is Fire/Steel I could definitely see some kind of Fire version of Protect that inflicts a burn on anyone that makes contact with it. Searing Shield, perhaps?

And maybe Mystic Blade if Zacian is Fairy/Fighting. I’d just really like to see the Fairy type used for something other than cute and cuddly. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, some of my favorites of all time are the cute fairies...but Tolkien’s lectures really did open my eyes to a whole new world under the “fae” umbrella and being that we’re in Poké-England now I’d really like to see them take advantage of it.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom