• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Boxart Hint New Form for Weather Trio?

Has it actually been confirmed that these are indeed remakes, or is it possible that they could be sequels to Ruby and Sapphire?
The press release explicitly referred to them as "a fresh take on Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire", which just screams fancy PR speak for "remake".

I see. Although in the video it mentioned exploring 'a dramatic new world.' Which to me, sounds like a possible sequel.
Or it's aimed at the franchise's target audience, who are too young to have played Ruby and Sapphire.
Fresh Take =/= Sequel

Still considering the timeline and the possible fact of them including Mega Evolutions, a sequel is more likely. Otherwise, they're gonna have to retcon a lot of things if it were plain remakes.

As for Groudon and Kyogre, I'm expecting Mega Evos or at least new Forms (like people mentioned an 'Awakened' form or something)
Mega Evolution is deeply routed in the history of the Kalos Region (hence why the Tower of Mastery exists). So Mega Evolution would have been around during the RS time period.

Re: Hoenn Remake Confirmed- Boxart Hint New Form for Weather Trio?

I swear if Rayquaza doesn't get something like this as it's Mega Evolution I'll be disappointed.
mega_rayquaza_by_pyroaura98-d7fn0t7.png

It looks great but while no expert I can say that is not very aerodynamic especially considering how it flies around a lot at great speeds and wouldn't it follow the pattern that the other two members of the weather trio did?

What if Alpha and Omega are referring to Arceus (Alpha, the beginning) and Giratina (Omega, the end) and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are going to be remakes of both RSE and DPPt instead of just RSE? And that is why they are promoting the remakes as a new adventure? You read it here first. This post might be serious or not.

Hahah I just imagine Gamefreaks' marketing crew faces when they're told to campaign for 2 regions and remakes. Too cruel.

--
I still don't think they weill be Mega, they are giving Megas to Lati@s and they will be the new Megas Legendaries of the remakes. Otherwise this is just too much, and they actually haven't over-hyped mega evolution with too many powerhouses, psuedo legendaries and legendaries (and it's a good thing).

Proto-Megas would be my best best. While mewtwo has a proper mega, its a relatively new legendary, and thus does not apply to my theory.
Basically, Mega Evolutions were essentially the higher beings of all the legendaries, being more of their natural/spiritual state that allows them to use their reality warping powers. Alpha Kyogre and Omega Groudon are the first examples of this, and each legendary would eventually get their own Proto-Mega stone, like Adamant Dialga and Lustrous Palkia or something.Its mostly based on semantics this theory of mine, simply because it wouldn't be retconning megas being only in Kalos. If not, I still see Alpha/Omega Evolutions being a more in depth branched out way to exclusify Mega-Evolutions, then simply an X or Y.

I want to call them Mega Evolutions, but Megas usually look all ramped up and more powerful, have bells and whistles and doodads and whatnot. Kyogre and Groudon on the boxes just have different patterns; their body structure stays the same. I'm wondering if they're a different fort of forme, or alternatively special individuals of the species.

They have different patterns which are FRICKING GLOWING!!!
I think that's enough to warrant mega evos.

Proto-Megas would be my best best. While mewtwo has a proper mega, its a relatively new legendary, and thus does not apply to my theory.
Basically, Mega Evolutions were essentially the higher beings of all the legendaries, being more of their natural/spiritual state that allows them to use their reality warping powers. Alpha Kyogre and Omega Groudon are the first examples of this, and each legendary would eventually get their own Proto-Mega stone, like Adamant Dialga and Lustrous Palkia or something.Its mostly based on semantics this theory of mine, simply because it wouldn't be retconning megas being only in Kalos. If not, I still see Alpha/Omega Evolutions being a more in depth branched out way to exclusify Mega-Evolutions, then simply an X or Y.
This is a cool theory on the history of Mega Evos, but I don't think GF wants to overcomplicate them more.

The thing that's really ironic about this is that I still haven't been able to own a DS or 3DS to play any of the Pokémon games starting with Diamond & Pearl, so I've been stuck with Gen 3 games like the original Ruby for GBA, Fire Red, and Colosseum and XD for Gamecube, but I've actually been content with that anyway since I've beaten these games and trade Pokémon between them all the time.

I would like to see what these remakes are going to look like though, since I do like X & Y and intend on getting a DS and 3DS sometime to get into those later games (except Black & White, cause I don't like Gen 5 Pokémon). It's just that I would want to transfer all my GBA Pokémon that I've been training all this time into Gen 4 and up, which would probably be a lot of work.

I just got to reply to this.
I don't know if I'm going oftopic with this but I have to say it.

Please do play Black or White if you have the chance. You may or you may not have seen a lot of BW / BW2 gameplay, I dont know that, but imo Gen V is one of the best generations out there. I didn't like the Pokemon designs at first as well but in the end you'll see they are actually pretty cool. GF did an awesome job in renewing the Pokemon games and the story is one of the best in Pokemon history.

My main point is: if you skip Gen V (only because of the mons) you are missing out on a few great games.

Well if I plan on transferring my Pokémon to Gen 6 (which I like better) then I would probably need to buy one of the Gen 5 games anyway, since I don't think I can transfer Pokémon from Diamond and Pearl to X & Y. I'm just not going to want to own many of the Gen 5 Pokémon though. I just find them dull and uninteresting compared to previous gens or even X & Y, with Genesect being one of the only ones that I found to be cool in any way. And to add to that, the current anime series at that time didn't really interest me either, until last year's movie came out with Genesect and Mewtwo or that one episode where I heard that Ash battled Giovanni.

But to get myself on-topic, it would be interesting to see if there's going to be any new Mega Evolutions in these Gen 3 remakes, even if they aren't necessarily for Groudon and Kyogre. I'd also like to see if they keep Pokémon Amie in there as well.

Last edited:
I would have expected the hackers to find all the hidden stuff in X&Y. with that being said if they do new mega they would be incompatible with X&Y

They could easily add that stuff to X and Y via a patch.
Yes. Speaking of patch, someone posted an excellent explanation on NeoGAF about how patches could work perfectly in X&Y:

Regarding new Mega Evolutions in OR/AS:

I think new Mega Evolutions are likely to happen. However, any new Mega Evolutions in OR/AS will not be tradeable to X/Y. A patch will be required for X/Y to connect to OR/AS, which will contain the data for the new Mega Evolutions, but will only allow them to be battled, not traded.

This is because update data is stored on the SD card. By removing the SD card, you can downgrade physical copies back to version 1.0, which will cause problems if new Mega Stones are traded over. In addition, the developers will want competitive players to buy the new games; adding new Mega Evolutions that can't be traded back to X/Y is a good way of doing this.

Mega Latias/Latios will be released for Pokémon X/Y roughly when OR/AS launch for promotional reasons, and might unlock an event in OR/AS when traded over (like the Regigigas event for D/P that unlocked Regice/Regirock/Registeel in Platinum).
I am still not sure if they are going to give us more Mega Evolutions and patch X/Y, because hey, we're talking about Game Freak/Nintendo here, but it IS perfectly possible.

Yes. Speaking of patch, someone posted an excellent explanation on NeoGAF about how patches could work perfectly in X&Y:

I think new Mega Evolutions are likely to happen. However, any new Mega Evolutions in OR/AS will not be tradeable to X/Y. A patch will be required for X/Y to connect to OR/AS, which will contain the data for the new Mega Evolutions, but will only allow them to be battled, not traded.

This is because update data is stored on the SD card. By removing the SD card, you can downgrade physical copies back to version 1.0, which will cause problems if new Mega Stones are traded over. In addition, the developers will want competitive players to buy the new games; adding new Mega Evolutions that can't be traded back to X/Y is a good way of doing this.

Mega Latias/Latios will be released for Pokémon X/Y roughly when OR/AS launch for promotional reasons, and might unlock an event in OR/AS when traded over (like the Regigigas event for D/P that unlocked Regice/Regirock/Registeel in Platinum).
I am still not sure if they are going to give us more Mega Evolutions and patch X/Y, because hey, we're talking about Game Freak/Nintendo here, but it IS perfectly possible.

That would be a first for nintendo. They seem to hate patching games. I would love it though new content be great.

That would be a first for nintendo. They seem to hate patching games. I would love it though new content be great.
Not really a first, since they already patched X/Y twice. There was no new content added, as far as I know, but the games were still patched for bug fixes.

Last edited:
Firstly, you mean GameFreak, not Nintendo.
Secondly, I'm pretty sure it was impossible to patch games via online in the GB/GBC/GBA era, so they're xcused for that.
And I think it was pretty difficult to patch games in the DS era as well.
And as Reila said, they HAVE patched X and Y before.
So yeah....

Edit @ 15:38: The Japanese arm of The Pokémon Company sent out an e-mail to all Daisuki Club members which ends up pointing out the differences to Groudon & Kyogre on the box-art, stating that they're showcasing "never before seen Pokémon", the same terminology they used for Black & White Kyurem, as well as Mega Mewtwo Y upon their reveal, indicating that they are more than stylised artwork of the Pokémon. We'll bring more on this as it comes
Just read this on Serebii. Thoughts?

Edit @ 15:38: The Japanese arm of The Pokémon Company sent out an e-mail to all Daisuki Club members which ends up pointing out the differences to Groudon & Kyogre on the box-art, stating that they're showcasing "never before seen Pokémon", the same terminology they used for Black & White Kyurem, as well as Mega Mewtwo Y upon their reveal, indicating that they are more than stylised artwork of the Pokémon. We'll bring more on this as it comes
Just read this on Serebii. Thoughts?
Well, we still don't know if their new formes OR mega evos, but at least now we can be pretty much sure that they're not the ordinary Groudon and Kyogre.

That makes a lot of sense, especially with the ease of downloading patches over the internet. I'd rather (selfishly) prefer the new Mega Evolutions to be traded to X/Y as well, but keeping them exclusive to OR/AS gives everyone more reasons to buy them, just in case we needed some more.

I don't see anything wrong with trading new Mega Stones to XY. They would just disappear if the SD Card were removed (which would be the player's fault), but the Pokémon would remain in tact, which is all that matters. If Game Freak planned for this, the new stones might just become ghost data which could be re-activated later. It is a bad idea to remove the SD Card in general, anyway.

But trading compatibility isn't important compared to battle compatibility.

At least the discussion of "new formes/Mega Evolutions vs. stylized artwork from a different artist" can be put to rest.

I can't wait to see what additional formes Game Freak will include in the game. Platinum had Shaymin and Rotom in addition to Giratina. B2W2 had the Therian Pokemon and Keldeo (albeit a cosmetic change) in addition to Kyurem. More likely than not, Game Freak will include more than just a new Kyogre/Groudon.

They can patch for compatablility so I dont see why thats a reason they cant add new megas. They could simply make you download it to play online like they did with the 1.2 patch for X/Y.

That's interesting "new Pokemon" is their way of saying "new forme" though apperently they said the same for Mega Mewtwo Y according to that so who knows.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom