• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Boxart Hint New Form for Weather Trio?

Re: Hoenn Remake Confirmed- Boxart Hint New Form for Weather Trio?

I don't think the boxart really hints at new forms so much as redesigns... only Kyogre looks particularly different than normal to me.

This is not just a simple redesign.

Sapphire_EN_boxart.jpg
sapphirebox.jpg
I never said simple. I just don't think it's distinct enough from the original to be called a new form. It's more like a superhero getting a new costume.

Well, the difference in aesthetic implies it's some kind of new form, but it doesn't really look that different, they're just more glowy than usual. It could be some kind of "active mode" form like Black Kyurem, White Kyurem, and Xerneas have, it could be a new form activated by having them hold the Orbs, or it could be some kind of Mega Evolution. I'm guessing it's the second option, because didn't they glow like that when exposed to the Orbs in the anime?

I don't think the boxart really hints at new forms so much as redesigns... only Kyogre looks particularly different than normal to me.

Sapphire_EN_boxart.jpg
sapphirebox.jpg
I never said simple. I just don't think it's distinct enough from the original to be called a new form. It's more like a superhero getting a new costume.

I don't think they've ever made a redesign for any Pokemon quite like this, though. Color changes, sure, but these are a bit more extensive and detailed. They may not be dramatic, but it's different enough that I think it's a bit more than a redesign.

Sapphire_EN_boxart.jpg
sapphirebox.jpg

I have to agree. Given what precedent Mega Evolutions have already set, the new Groudon and Kyogre look relatively the same, but with more glow. I wouldn't say they are Mega Evolutions. Maybe just a new "awakened" form akin to Giratina.

Well, the difference in aesthetic implies it's some kind of new form, but it doesn't really look that different, they're just more glowy than usual. It could be some kind of "active mode" form like Black Kyurem, White Kyurem, and Xerneas have, it could be a new form activated by having them hold the Orbs, or it could be some kind of Mega Evolution. I'm guessing it's the second option, because didn't they glow like that when exposed to the Orbs in the anime?
Yeah, I'd assume it'd be related to the Orbs if it's not just an aesthetic overhaul.

Both Groudon and Kyogre are exactly the same as they originally are, except they have new markings.

There are actual differences apart from the markings:

1. Groudon:
* The markings not only are different-patterned, but they also reach its chest, whereas originally, they were bounded within its back.
* Original Gorudon's spikes are white, new Groudon features black spikes instead.
* Original Groudon's eyes have yellow sclera and black pupils, whereas new Groudon's eyes are red sclera with red pupils.
* Original Groudon's tail had an all white bottom; new Groudon's tail is segmented and now has a black bottom.

2. Kyogre:
* Similar to Groudon, New Kyogre's tail is segmented, while Original Groudon's isn't.
* Again, just like Groudon, Kyogre originally had black sclera, yellow irises, and small, black pupils. Now it has yellow sclera, orange pupils and big, red pupils.
* Kyogre's white spots are now yellow and extend thorughout its entire back.

So, either they were re-designed just because (something that has so far only happened to humans and, to a lesser extent, to Pikachu), or -most likely-, they're getting new forms/Mega Evolutions.

Here's a thought. What if the Orbs are actually Mega Stones?

Extensive redesigns for box legendaries, sounds much more plausible than Mega Evolutions. That and they've got a hard time trying to explain Mega Evolutions outside of Kalos without a timeskip.

Although IF they are megas, perhaps their orbs will turn out to be Mega Stones. If (hopefully) not, villain teams using the orbs to powerup one over the other?

Edit: Damn you Bolt, beaten like runt of the litter.

I don't see why they would randomly get re-designed. They look unchanged in XY.

If they have to give Mega Evolutions to legendaries, I'd rather they not go overboard with their designs as seems to be the case here. Most legendaries have complex designs as-is.

So Pikachu absorbed a Mega Stone in the anime?

...Think about that....

But no, that would be a neat idea. And since no one knew about Mega Evolution in the R/S, they were largely ignorant to that fact and only abused a certain amount of the Orbs power. Now in present day, massive gains in Mega Evolution research have been made (thank you Prof. Sycamore, Calem/Serena, etc), and it's been discovered that the Orbs are actually Mega Stones as well. Cue two new villainous teams trying to each obtain an Orb, to not only control the respective Legendary, but utilize their true potential and power as well, to eventually rule the world (if not expand the land or sea...again).

Sound about right?

I don't see why they would randomly get re-designed. They look unchanged in XY.

In which they are not the focus and would stand out too much if they were the only Pokemon to be redesigned. In RSEmakes, it would be more relevant.

Extensive redesigns for box legendaries, sounds much more plausible than Mega Evolutions.
No, it doesn't sound more plausible at all. Box legendaries never got redesigns. No, in fact, a legendary Pokémon never got a redesign, so how exactly does that sound more plausible than Kyogre and Groudon getting Mega Evolutions, in the same generation in which they were added to the series?

So Pikachu absorbed a Mega Stone in the anime?

...Think about that....

But no, that would be a neat idea. And since no one knew about Mega Evolution in the R/S, they were largely ignorant to that fact and only abused a certain amount of the Orbs power. Now in present day, massive gains in Mega Evolution research have been made (thank you Prof. Sycamore, Calem/Serena, etc), and it's been discovered that the Orbs are actually Mega Stones as well. Cue two new villainous teams trying to each obtain an Orb, to not only control the respective Legendary, but utilize their true potential and power as well, to eventually rule the world (if not expand the land or sea...again).

Sound about right?

Yeah, that would make for a pretty awesome storyline.

I'm betting on Mega Evolutions. I can't possibly see how Kyogre and Groudon would pretty much get randomly redesigned.

And wasn't Mega Rayquaza on that trademark list or whatever?

And wasn't Mega Rayquaza on that trademark list or whatever?
The list included the entire Weather trio, but there was no "Mega" wording. Most of the Pokémon on the list ended up getting Mega Evolutions in XY, though.

Extensive redesigns for box legendaries, sounds much more plausible than Mega Evolutions. That and they've got a hard time trying to explain Mega Evolutions outside of Kalos without a timeskip.

Just like they explained breeding and Steel types in FRLG, which was supposed to be discovered three years later. Oh, wait, they didn't explained it, they retconned it.

For all we know, they could pull a breeding-in-FRLG by making the new legendaries be Megas, and Game Freak just say "meh, it was always there", then Pokémon Z confirm the retcon by saying that it's not that Mega Evolution was just discovered, only that it first happened in Kalos. And the same will happen with Gardevoir and the other Hoenn fairies.

That, or they can retcon the timeline and make ORAS concurrent to (if not after) XY. After all, unlike the rest of the games, which continuously reference each other, the original RSE never metion the events of other games, so it wouldn't be hard to retcon RSE/ORAS into happening at the same time as XY (the only outside to it is that this would out-con Steven's and the legendaries' appearance in HGSS, but that's not new either, most post-game content is out-conned by later games, such as Red catching Mewtwo or the Gen IV Battle Frontier's location).

Last edited:

For all we know, they could pull a breeding-in-FRLG by making the new legendaries be Megas, and Game Freak just say "meh, it was always there", then Pokémon Z confirm the retcon by saying that it's not that Mega Evolution was just discovered, only that it first happened in Kalos. And the same will happen with Gardevoir and the other Hoenn fairies.

Yeah, I've just said in another thread that GF probably won't be subtle with putting Mega Evolutions into ORAS. Should have seen it happening here.

Yeah, I've just said in another thread that GF probably won't be subtle with putting Mega Evolutions into ORAS. Should have seen it happening here.
Mega Groudon and Kyogre were trademarked back in 2013 though, so out goes that theory.

Though it did say that it was a Kalos exclusive, or at least they were discovered in Kalos first.

Last edited:

I think people are over-analysing the cover arts. They just look like dramatized depictions of the Pokemon in question.

That said, I'm not against Mega evolutions for the weather trio. If they do get Megas and follow the traditional BST + 100 upon evolving, they will be right behind the mega Mewtwos (10 pioints, to be exact) for the highest BST of all Pokemon.

edit:
Just checked the Weather Trio BSTs, and Groudon and Kyogre would have a 770 BST after mega-evolving, while Rayquaza would have 780, same as M-Mewtwo.

They never did such thing as "dramatized depictions" with box art legendaries.

I think it is safe to assume there is a reason for Groudon and Kyogre having different designs in the box arts.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom