• With COPPA coming into full effect, the comments section and notifications for our YouTube videos are disabled. Not to worry, though, you can keep up with the latest episodes for all our ongoing series and provide your comments in the Bulbasocial section here.

BP's Photographia

Thesaurus rex
Reaction score
  • Staff
With a new year I've decided to learn a new skill: and after one too many failed attempts at taking photos of herons with a bad camera phone, I decided it was going to be photography. I've never really taken an interest in it before, so it'll be very much new ground for me. At the moment I'm just taking photos with automatic settings to see what the camera can do, before I start fiddling around with anything else.

Today, a bleak and dreichy January day, been my first real chance to take it out. Images spoilered for size - they're bigger than I expected.

Looking North along the Western edge of the nature reserve. The path is muddy as hell after half a Winter's worth of rain. Those are tall trees in the middle-distance are Lombardy poplars (Populus nigra)

Foots Hole, in the nature reserve again. Looks charming, doesn't it?

Ducks, obligingly staying still while I test the auto-focus on them. Mallards (Anas platyrhynchos) for the most part, with a couple of black coots (Fulica atra) hanging around.

seal guy
Reaction score
I am so envious of where you live!!
These totally capture the winter vibes, and I am here for it.
Awww, the ducks!!

Thesaurus rex
Reaction score
  • Staff
I wasn't planning on doing anything today, but the weather changed so I decided to go out for an hour or so. A couple of unexpected lessons learned. First is that if I'm to be taking photos, my glasses also need to be scrupulously clear of dust as well, otherwise light scattering off it will blind me anyway. Second is that being able to use the touchscreen to change focus isn't always a good thing if I keep accidentally touching the screen with my nose.

I'm almost certain that blackbird (Turdus merula) was watching me specifically. That was taken from a distance of about thirty feet. I didn't dare try getting closer since he had plainly seen me, and there was a blackberry thicket in the way anyway. The auto-focus wanted to keep focusing on the hawthorn branches.

In the light those brambles look considerably more cheerful than they really ought to.

I could hardly see the little devil, thanks to the low Winter sun being right in my face. He was more bothered about winkling something out of the ivy than whatever I was doing.

This one's probably my favourite shot, looking South towards the glass cone.