• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Break the Ice (Mono-Type ❉ RMT)

Master Mew

Level 7
Reaction score
Break the Ice

A few notes about this team:

1.) It is very gimmicky.
2.) It runs the already unpopular weather condition Hail in a meta where the popularity of weather in general has declined.
3.) It runs some weird pokémon choices.
4.) It is designed with Battle Spot Doubles (Bring-Six-Choose-Four) in mind and, as such, ignores the Evasion Clause (see: Piloswine).

Mega Abomasnow
2m30c4h.gif

IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Sp.Atk./6 HP
Nature: Brave
Item: Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
Moveset:
Blizzard
Wood Hammer
Earthquake
Ice Shard​
Jynx

68esqv.gif

IVs: 31/X/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk./6 Sp.Def.
Nature: Quiet
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Forewarn
Moveset:
Blizzard
Psyshock
Lovely Kiss
Trick Room​
Articuno
n54i6p.gif

IVs: 31/31/31/27/31/15
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def./6 Sp.Def.
Nature: Impish
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Moveset:
Blizzard
Double Team
Sleep Talk
Rest​
Piloswine

2yloa68.gif

IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/0
EVs: 252 Def./252 Sp.Def./6 Atk
Nature: Relaxed
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Snow Cloak
Moveset:
Earthquake
Icicle Crash
Stone Edge
Hail​
Weavile
2qnqg4z.gif

IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
EVs: 252 Atk./252 Spd/6 HP
Nature: Jolly
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Moveset:
Brick Break
Night Slash
Ice Punch
Pursuit​
Frost Rotom

65vdoy.gif

IVs: 31/X/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk./252 Spd/6 HP
Nature: Modest
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
Moveset:
Blizzard
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Volt Switch​

This set is designed to work one of two ways, depending on what I'm up against:

1.) The primary strategy here, as evidenced by the first four pokemon, is HailRoom. Lead with Jynx and Abomasnow, set up Trick Room in the first turn, then the frail Jynx will either put an opponent to sleep with Lovely Kiss or die trying :p and be replaced by Articuno, who fares well in the Hail with perfect accuracy Blizzard and reliable recovery in RestTalk. Piloswine can replace Abomasnow and gains an evasion boost in the Hail, while hitting both foes with Earthquake - which Articuno is immune to.

2.) Trick Room can be foregone entirely, swapping in Frost Rotom and Weavile for Jynx and either Articuno or Piloswine as each situation dictates.

"Why did you opt for Piloswine over Mamoswine?"

Because Mamoswine is hideous. :p

I'd really appreciate any input you can offer! Mono-type teams are awkward and Ice types in general are pretty tricky to run with so I have no delusions that this team is without flaws. I'm pretty flexible with any improvements you might suggest, I'd just really like to hang onto: 1.) the mono-type theme, and 2.) Articuno (the 'mon itself, the moveset, IV/EV spread, etc. are up for discussion).

What'cha think?

Last edited:
Overly Ice type. I'd say take a look at Pokemon with the Magic Guard and Overcoat ability.

Magic Guard

Overcoat

Options that can help get rid of Spikes, Rocks, Webs, etc include Defog Mandibuzz and Hidden Ability Forretress.

Then you have Reuniclus and Hidden Ability Alakazam that can run Knock-off and Sigilyph who has high Special Attack and good all around Defenses at 72/80/80.

Pokemon that I would recommend dropping first would be Articuno and Jynx. Also your Weavile should be running a Choice Scarf.

Are spikes and rocks common in 4v4 Doubles? I haven't encountered either yet but admittedly I haven't played a lot of XY Doubles yet.

I had the Choice Scarf on Rotom, you think Weavile would be better? What would you give Rotom?

Edit: Your mention of Overcoat reminded me that Cloyster is also a thing which exists, but since I'm running Hail I think Skill Link would probably be better for him? He can be bred to know Rapid Spin, which could deal with entry hazards, so I'd be pretty comfortable swapping him in. My problem is you suggested replacing Articuno or Jynx and, as I said in the OP, Articuno is the one 'mon I want to keep and without Jynx I lose Trick Room.

Last edited:
They are not. 4x4 is just too quick-paced for entry hazards bar Sticky Web to give any significant contribution, because there aren't many switches. The sole exception is SR against MZardY and Talonflame, but even then it should be noted that MZardY in the 4x4 is usually a Glass Cannon-ish lead often paired with Venusaur, and Talonflame isn't supposed to survive for long anyway as it relies on priority Brave Bird and Flare Blitz, both of which are recoil moves

Edit: Your mention of Overcoat reminded me that Cloyster is also a thing which exists, but since I'm running Hail I think Skill Link would probably be better for him? He can be bred to know Rapid Spin, which could deal with entry hazards, so I'd be pretty comfortable swapping him in. My problem is you suggested replacing Articuno or Jynx and, as I said in the OP, Articuno is the one 'mon I want to keep and without Jynx I lose Trick Room.

But why would you use an Ice Pokemon with Overcoat to stop the Hail damage? That is why I made offered of the non-Ice types. And yes, Choice Scarf is better on Weavile. Rotom-F would want a Choice Specs to try and abuse its Special Attack.

Which is why I asked if Skill Link would be better. I'm still not sure I need a Rapid Spinner in Doubles and I'd rather keep the mono-typing unless there's some specific, common threat that no Ice type can counter.

Okay no. Hazards and Choice are both terribad in Doubles, it's much too fastpaced for that. Offensive Pokémon need Life Orb, Expert Belt, Plates, Assault Vest, etc. Choice Items are too restricting given that you almost never switch in Doubles.

Okay no. Hazards and Choice are both terribad in Doubles, it's much too fastpaced for that. Offensive Pokémon need Life Orb, Expert Belt, Plates, Assault Vest, etc. Choice Items are too restricting given that you almost never switch in Doubles.
That's a good point, I don't foresee many scenarios where switching out to get out of a choice-lock wouldn't end badly for me. I've swapped Rotom's Choice Scarf for Wise Glasses... is that wise? :p

Also, would you say running zero speed on Articuno is necessary to capitalize on Trick Room or is Articuno slow enough already that running zero speed just cripples it outside of Trick Room?

Last edited:
That's a good point, I don't foresee many scenarios where switching out to get out of a choice-lock wouldn't end badly for me. I've swapped Rotom's Choice Scarf for Wise Glasses... is that wise? :p

Also, would you say running zero speed on Articuno is necessary to capitalize on Trick Room or is Articuno slow enough already that running zero speed just cripples it outside of Trick Room?

I'd actually recommend Blizzard/Thunderbilt/Volt Switch/filler and Assault Vest in order to better take Surfs and maybe even a Heat Wave. Also, Articuno's Speed is too average to be great in TR, the cutoff is ~70. So if you want him to be a TR abuser, then min speed with a -Speed nature is the way to go.

I'd actually recommend Blizzard/Thunderbilt/Volt Switch/filler and Assault Vest in order to better take Surfs and maybe even a Heat Wave. Also, Articuno's Speed is too average to be great in TR, the cutoff is ~70. So if you want him to be a TR abuser, then min speed with a -Speed nature is the way to go.
Thanks! I like that set a lot better.

I've updated the OP with the best Articuno I actually have right now for this team, since I can breed for the others but getting the right Articuno will be tricky. I'm in the market for one with lower speed and a better nature (since this one's speed looks like it's in just the right spot to be wrong inside and outside Trick Room lol and that nature is terrible) but I wanted to notate those IVs somewhere since I actually managed to calculate this one's precise IVs.

Huh. Looking at that Arcticuno, you might try

Crocuno (somebody shoot me xD)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Arcticuno @ Leftovers
Pressure
Impish
252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp Def
~Ancient Power
~Blizzard
~Rest
~Sleep Talk

There are a couple if major problems with this set, though.

-Impish lowers SpA and you have an imperfect SpA IV, lowering your damage output
-In Doubles, double-targeting is a very real thing that will put a stop to your shenanigans
-Your defensive typing is so crap that even with +6 Sp Def and full Def investment, a Geodude could take you out
-Ancient Power=\= reliable boosting move

Last edited:
~Boosting move of choice (Agility?)
So for Articuno I guess this would be between Agility/Double Team/Reflect.

Agility is fantastic unless I set Trick Room, then it becomes decidedly counter-intuitive.

Double Team is fantastic except for the unfortunate side-effect of seriously ticking my opponent off. :p

Reflect beefs up Defense for Articuno and its team-mates, but is ignored by Brick Break - a move my entire team already worries about that I'm assuming I'll encounter fairly often?

I'm leaning toward Double Team with the only drawback being that it's pure evil.

~Boosting move of choice (Agility?)
So for Articuno I guess this would be between Agility/Double Team/Reflect.

Agility is fantastic unless I set Trick Room, then it becomes decidedly counter-intuitive.

Double Team is fantastic except for the unfortunate side-effect of seriously ticking my opponent off. :p

Reflect beefs up Defense for Articuno and its team-mates, but is ignored by Brick Break - a move my entire team already worries about that I'm assuming I'll encounter fairly often?

I'm leaning toward Double Team with the only drawback being that it's pure evil.

I realized Agility would be counterintuitive so I switched to Ancientpower, since Reflect doesn't stack and thus ST calling it repeatedly would be pointless and I had forgotten Evasion Clause wasn't a thing in Doubles. Go for DT, I say. Might as well smack a Snow Cloak Froslass with DT on there too. You're giving the for enough of a favor by using mono-Ice, don't want to make it too easy on them xD

I realized Agility would be counterintuitive so I switched to Ancientpower, since Reflect doesn't stack and thus ST calling it repeatedly would be pointless and I had forgotten Evasion Clause wasn't a thing in Doubles. Go for DT, I say. Might as well smack a Snow Cloak Froslass with DT on there too. You're giving the for enough of a favor by using mono-Ice, don't want to make it too easy on them xD
Hm... I sort of forgot about Froslass. I could swap her in for either Weavile or Rotom to beef up the non-Trick Room side of this team with evasion and Fighting type immunity.

Should I add Double Team to Piloswine to drive the point home? >.>

Hm... I sort of forgot about Froslass. I could swap her in for either Weavile or Rotom to beef up the non-Trick Room side of this team with evasion and Fighting type immunity.

Yes. Add Double Team to ALL the things. And Toxic. And Protect and Substitute. Hail + Toxic + Evasion + Protect/Sub = winning xD

Yes. Add Double Team to ALL the things. And Toxic. And Protect and Substitute. Hail + Toxic + Evasion + Protect/Sub = winning xD

And then Aura Sphere MLucario comes in... :D

Something I'd like to point out regarding your Rotom, specifically its item. When any Pokemon wears Assault Vest, it can't use status moves, Thunder Wave in Rotom's case. You either must teach it a different offensive move or discard Assault Vest and give it a different item, like Choice Scarf or Life Orb, since it looks like it's made to attack.

Pfft, Froslass is immune to aura Sphere and those Flash Cannons won't be hitting any time soon xD

Pfft, Froslass is immune to aura Sphere and those Flash Cannons won't be hitting any time soon xD

Flash Cannons? What are those? The sole trve way of MLucario is Aura Sphere, Close Combat, PuP, and Swords Dance! :D

Something I'd like to point out regarding your Rotom, specifically its item. When any Pokemon wears Assault Vest, it can't use status moves, Thunder Wave in Rotom's case. You either must teach it a different offensive move or discard Assault Vest and give it a different item, like Choice Scarf or Life Orb, since it looks like it's made to attack.

Oh geez, you're right. Blatant oversight on my part, thanks! :XD:

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom