• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

breeding moves

PhilyG123

Reaction score
So in Pokemon Emerald I want to breed a Psyduck with Cross Chop, Psybeam and Psychic.
I can breed one only with Cross Chop by breeding Psyduck with a Mankey and Psybeam and Psychic by breeding it with a Spoink for example.
But whenever I put a Psyduck with Cross Chop and a Psyduck with Psybeam and Psychic together their child only has either the egg move of the father or of the mother but not both.

Am I doing something wrong?
The father is able to pass down egg moves right?
Is there a specific order the attacks from the parents have to be in?

Please help!

Yes, there is a certain priority order when deciding which moves a baby Pokemon inherits. Let's see ... according to Bulbapedia, this order is:
1st- mother's egg moves*
2nd- father's egg moves
3rd- TM/HM moves from the father
4th- Level-up moves shared by both parents

* [edit - apparently this was added in Gen VI]

Keep in mind that level-up moves can also be Egg Moves; if it happens that the mother has four Egg Moves, the moveset is decided and anything the father has is ignored. (Use the Move Deleter to prune the mother's moveset of anything you don't need the baby to have.)

Alternative idea: isn't Psyduck part of the Field egg group? Get a male Smeargle (I think they are in Artisan Cave?), Sketch the desired moveset (e.g. have another wild Smeargle Sketch it first) and there you go.

Last edited:
Now I've got it, thanks. I had to initiate double battles and let a Primeape and a Grumpig attack my Smeargle with the desired moves which the Smeargle sketched and then I bred that Smeargle with a Psyduck and it worked.
Before that I only got Psyducks with either Cross Chop or Psychic and Psybeam.
Although I don't understand why breeding 2 Psyducks, one with Primeapes attack and one with Grumpigs 2 attacks, doesn't work. From that I only got either the Fighting type attack or the Psychic type moves.

In Gen 3 females don't pass down egg moves. So certain combinations for egg moves can be impossible. IE without counting Smeargle an eevee couldn't learn both Curse and wish from the same parent.

Although I don't understand why breeding 2 Psyducks, one with Primeapes attack and one with Grumpigs 2 attacks, doesn't work. From that I only got either the Fighting type attack or the Psychic type moves.
What were their movesets specifically?

I see. Then Nightmare's post is correct -- mother-side egg moves were actually introduced in Gen 6, so for Gen 3 you absolutely need a Smeargle for the father.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom