• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Brendan and May post-game role

SeanWheeler

Reaction score
Remember your Hoenn rival, Brendan or May? The one who looks like a player of the opposite gender? Remember when they retired after Lilycove? What if they didn't retire. What if after Lilycove, they just went home, and later battles you in Sevault Canyon in the Sevii Islands (yeah, I strongly believe they can have the Sevii Islands from FireRed and LeafGreen return). And after the Sevault Canyon match, they can have a schedule. A schedule like this:

Sunday - Hang out in their secret base.
Monday - On the computer at home
Tuesday - In Professor Birch's lab
Wednesday - Training at Sevault Canyon
Thursday - Random opponent at Battle Frontier
Friday - Adventure with you
Saturday - Battle at Sevault Canyon

And since it's awkward to be plural about one person and using "He/She" or "(S)he" is kinda clunky, I'm going to assume that the player is a boy and the rival is May. What happens to May in a boy's game happens to Brendan in a girl's game.

So on Sunday, May hangs out in her secret base. By default, her secret base is in Route 116, but you can change it on Friday while she's travelling with you.

On Monday, she's at home on her computer.

On Tuesday, she's in Professor Birch's lab.

Wednesday, she's at Sevault Canyon.

Thursday, she's a random opponent in the Battle Frontier. She can be fought in any of the seven facilities. She's always on the bracket in the Battle Dome. In the Battle Tower, Battle Arena, Battle Palace, Battle Factory there's a 10% chance of you facing her first, 30% chance of facing her second, 40% chance facing her third, 50% fourth, 70% fifth, 90% sixth, 100% seventh. After defeating May, the subsequent match probability up to the seventh match will drop to zero. In the Battle Salon when you select a Multi Battle, May will always be one of the trainers to team up with on Thursday, while she has a lower percentage of appearing in other days.

In the Battle Pike, she appears the first time the green haired lady say "Could it be a trainer? I sense the presence of people, and you go that path, you will encounter May.

In the Battle Pyramid, May is on every floor until you see her. Yeah, if you see her without battling, you get to see a plothole of her being on the next floor. But if you defeat her, she doesn't appear in any of the later floors.

If you leave any facility without battling her, she'll be disappointed.

Friday is awesome! She waits at Route 101. When you talk to her, she asks if she can go on an adventure with you. When you say yes, she follows you everywhere (and I mean EVERYWHERE). When you ride your bike, she gets on hers to follow you. When you surf, she gets on your Pokémon. Everything will be a double battle. Wild Pokémon come at you two at a time. Trainers who have only one Pokémon would refuse to battle unless there is another trainer nearby who would agree to a Multi Battle. When you use secret power, you'll move May's secret base. The boy in Mossdeep City would remind you where yours and May's Secret Bases are. In Contests, you and May compete against eachother, and she'll enter her starter (which is unnicknamed unlike the other opponents). In Triple Battles, you send two Pokémon while May sends one out. In the Battle Frontier, you can't participate in the Single Battle mode (except for the Battle Dome, where you and May are separate on the bracket, and unlike Thursday, you get to watch May's battles until she loses or you face her. In the Boutique, you get to customize her. And you can buy clothes for her, including her original outfit from Ruby/Sapphire, her green outfit from Emerald, her costumes from the anime, and all the other clothes that female trainers buy. If you attack her Pokémon with an offensive move in a tag battle, she makes a cute reaction of "Hey, what was that for?" At 8:00 PM, she looks at her watch, realizes that it's time for her to get home and leaves you. If you don't play at 8, you'll get a call from May apologizing for leaving you.

Saturday, she'll be at Sevault Canyon ready to battle you. She'll use the same team as last time, but leveled up. After the third Sevault Canyon match, her team's levels will be the same.

If you go to her house between 8:00 PM and 7:00 AM, you will find her sleeping. When you watch her wake up, she'll say "Oh, hi Brendan. Have you come to wake me up?"

Now remember, Brendan and May have the same role but it depends on which gender are you. Are you a boy or a girl? If you're a boy, your comments will refer to May. If you're a girl, you'll talk about Brendan. We'll know your gender based on the Latias/Latios symbol.

Last edited:
your missing Red on the frointier battle list
Red(after chain-transferring a Pokémon from a FireRed/LeafGreen boy)
your welcome :p
i really like this idea though.

No, Red is on the list. Red is unlocked by beating him at the Trainer Tower. He's between Blue and Serena on the list.

No, Red is on the list. Red is unlocked by beating him at the Trainer Tower. He's between Blue and Serena on the list.
Oppps, i missed that, mabe we can change my idea to Blue/Gary.

Oppps, i missed that, mabe we can change my idea to Blue/Gary.

No, Blue's already there. He's unlocked once you defeat all of the Kanto leaders at Trainer Tower. And I said Red is between Blue and Serena. And we should talk more about May.

They retire as a trainer but it'd be nice to be able to battle them post game, even if it's just once.

I very much doubt any of the characters X/Y would appear. OR/AS takes place over a decade earlier. Shauna, Tierno, Trevor, Calem, and Serena would all either be infants or very young children at the time.

I very much doubt any of the characters X/Y would appear. OR/AS takes place over a decade earlier. Shauna, Tierno, Trevor, Calem, and Serena would all either be infants or very young children at the time.

Time travel? Well, maybe I shouldn't have listed the other tag partners as that is off-topic. There must be some explanation why Hoenn players trade with Kalos. And @Muur, May might have retired, but GF could retcon it. I would want to battle her Swampert! And wouldn't it be cool to go on a stroll with her?

So anyone else want to comment? And if someone states anything else about the Battle Tower tag partners, I'll remove the list of partners from my original comment.

Last edited:
They retire to be a professor's assistant. I'd love it if Professor Ivy (yay, Orange Islands!) shows up in the Sevii Islands with Brendan/May in the post-game working for her. That'd be sweet. And you could battle them every week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

There must be some explanation why Hoenn players trade with Kalos.

There really doesn't need to be an explanation for this. They could very well just utilize the trading method that Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow used to trade with Gold & Silver which is trading via the Time Capsule. Maybe they don't even have to make mention of the Time Capsule at all. Black & White and Black 2 & White 2 could trade between each other without any complications and we all know that both pairs of these games were separated by 2 years in the in-game story.

They retire to be a professor's assistant. I'd love it if Professor Ivy (yay, Orange Islands!) shows up in the Sevii Islands with Brendan/May in the post-game working for her. That'd be sweet. And you could battle them every week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Professor Ivy is a character exclusive to the anime so I doubt that she'd appear in these games or in any Pokémon game. The same with the Orange Islands.

You know, I would like it if you boys say "May" and "she" instead of "Brendan/May" and "they". I've constantly referred to May and I've made a challenge for this forum to have people refer to the opposite gender character instead of Brendan/May.

And we don't need Professor Ivy in the games. She's from a anime exclusive region. If she's ever introduced in the games, she's more likely to appear in Kanto games than Hoenn.

And no one is responding to the kiss at the end of the Friday adventure? C'mon! You never kiss a girl in a Pokémon game. That's something new. I thought it can cause a bit of controversy (but not enough for me to have to remove it or get a warning).

May being at the Battle Frontier on Thursday? Wouldn't you want a random battle with her on Thursday?

And yes she did retire from being a Trainer in the original games. But that doesn't mean the remakes can change that. May's retirement wasn't that important and it didn't let us see her fully evolved starter. When playing through Sapphire, I was very curious about what Marshtomp evolves into. It was much later that I found out about Swampert. In the Sevault Canyon battles, she can finally use Swampert (or Blaziken or Sceptile depending on your starter).

As for my list of Tag partners at the Battle Tower, I'm going to make a separate forum. I will then remove the list from my original comment and replace it with just a statement of May having a higher chance of being a tag partner. I will then ask you guys to remove the comments about the Battle Tower partners. Don't worry, I'll quote them on the new forum.

And no one is responding to the kiss at the end of the Friday adventure? C'mon! You never kiss a girl in a Pokémon game. That's something new. I thought it can cause a bit of controversy (but not enough for me to have to remove it or get a warning).
The closest any pokemon game had to romance was

1. B2W2: The Lost Item sidequest with Curtis and Yancy. You exchange calls with them and they develop feelings for you. You can also go on dates with them on the Ferris Wheel

2. XY: Arguably, the Fireworks Scene with Shauna when you're playing as the male protagonist. But Shauna only says that she's never watched fireworks with a boy before. This can be taken simply as a fact stated, or Shauna implying she's excited to watch fireworks with the PC. Either way, this is considerably minor compared to the Lost Item sidequest in B2W2.

The protagonists always had little to no romance with other characters, excluding B2W2 - and even that was kept to a minimum, simply calling each other on the phone and dating once in a while. While the concept of 'dating' (simply hanging out or battling/trading) may be brought back, kissing may be controversial in certain countries, so it's highly likely they won't include anything of that sort.

I wouldn't mind if Brendan and May had a role Post-game. Hell, I would like it if the remakes changed it up and didn't make them retire as trainers mid-story and let us fight them until, at least the league before they retire if they still do.

As for what they do, assuming the Frontier is a thing, and it should be, I'd love to see Brendan/May there in difference facilities, particularity the Battle Dome. I'd also like it if we got the usual, weekend battle, if not a, preferred, everyday battle.

As for what was suggested, none of them are really relevant, except:

Friday - Adventure with you

This whole thing sounds way too much like a dating sim, if anything. Ignoring the inner shipper in me, I really don't want to see something like that in Pokemon, even post-game. Having May or Brendan follow you around or chill at the Frontier at certain times could be cool, but please don't try to turn it into a random dating thing.

Then maybe the kiss between you and May can be censored in those countries? Hmm... I wonder how they deal with showing female characters in Muslim countries where girls' faces have to be covered?

I want them to be battled post game if that means we get some kind of closure with their adventure. Plus, any extra battle is just kind of fun.

However, I really, really don't want any explicit romance in any Pokemon game. I am a lesbian and it would really take a lot out of the game if I was being forced to court with a character that I have no interest in. I know people are going to say that the world shouldn't bend to my preferences or whatever, but I shouldn't necessarily have to bend to anyone else's preferences especially in a non-dating sim. We should just leave that stuff to people's imaginations.

There must be some explanation why Hoenn players trade with Kalos.

There really doesn't need to be an explanation for this. They could very well just utilize the trading method that Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow used to trade with Gold & Silver which is trading via the Time Capsule. Maybe they don't even have to make mention of the Time Capsule at all. Black & White and Black 2 & White 2 could trade between each other without any complications and we all know that both pairs of these games were separated by 2 years in the in-game story.

Professor Ivy is a character exclusive to the anime so I doubt that she'd appear in these games or in any Pokémon game. The same with the Orange Islands.

I know that. -_- I'm just saying I'd love it.

I want them to be battled post game if that means we get some kind of closure with their adventure. Plus, any extra battle is just kind of fun.

However, I really, really don't want any explicit romance in any Pokemon game. I am a lesbian and it would really take a lot out of the game if I was being forced to court with a character that I have no interest in. I know people are going to say that the world shouldn't bend to my preferences or whatever, but I shouldn't necessarily have to bend to anyone else's preferences especially in a non-dating sim. We should just leave that stuff to people's imaginations.

Well, if you don't want Brendan to kiss you, fine. No kiss from him. Or maybe he asks permission first before doing it?

Well, if you don't want Brendan to kiss you, fine. No kiss from him. Or maybe he asks permission first before doing it?

More like, if romance should be included, it should be optional. Just like how the Lost Item sidequest was optional.

Why would you want romance in a Pokemon game? It's much better to leave that kind of thing to fanfiction and shipers.

May/Brendan should partake in Master Contests and battle you once or twice a week.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom