• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl?

Which version will you get?

• Total voters
I'll be getting Shining Pearl.

Though I prefer Dialga to Palkia, I just have to do it for the nostalgia. I owned both Diamond and Pearl as a kid, and played Diamond first...but then got stuck at Gardenia since I had picked Piplup and didn't know about type advantages. Then I picked up Pearl, picked Turtwig instead, and the rest was history.

I played Pearl to death as a kid, put over 100 hours into the game amidst playing with friends a ton and using Action Replay to hack the shit out of the game. When Platinum came out, most of my focus shifted to that game (even as a kid I could recognize the improvements Platinum made), but Pearl still holds a special place in my heart.

I never played Diamond or Pearl (went straight to Platinum several years after it came out), so it's up in the air for me right now.

If I were planning on getting the games, I'd go with Shining Pearl considering Pearl was technically my first Pokémon game and I want to use Purugly at some point due to its rarity.

Shining Pearl. I prefer Dialga, but even if I don't use Glameow I want to be able to encounter it in the wild and possibly shiny hunt for it. My name also means pearl, so I just think it would be kind of cool to play the game my name is really close to. I'll probably end up giving my trainer a name that also means pearl (but not my name because I never give them my name)

I'll be getting Brilliant Diamond, I already have a Palkia in Sword ready to be transferred to be able to have all three members of a trio without trading.

I'll be getting Brilliant Diamond, I already have a Palkia in Sword ready to be transferred to be able to have all three members of a trio without trading.

I've been thinking that it might be good for me to get Shining Pearl for the same reason - I can catch Dialga in the Max Lair in Sword and then presumably transfer it over.

I'm gonna wait for reviews, but If I do get them, its going to be Shining Pearl. Pearl was my very first Pokemon game, and the fact that Misdreavus and Glameow lines are Pearl only, which are some of my favorites.

I like the Misdreavus line as well. Mismagius was one of my team members in Pearl.

All things considered... my vote goes to Shining Pearl for now.

Last edited:
*If* I decide to get one, it will be Diamond. I've always chosen the "first" of the pair, aside from Shield (because of Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash).

I got Diamond back in the day so I am tempted to get Shining Pearl - especially as I've grown to like Palkia's design a lot more than Dialga's over the years.

But if the Version Exclusives remain the same then I probably will end up with Brilliant Diamond as Scyther, Aggron and Tyranitar are too awesome to pass up. :sneaky:

Diamond because it was my first DS game and Dialga is one of my favorite Pokemon. Fun fact but I originally thought Dialga was an Ice-type because of his appearance and he was standing on a glacier using Blizzard in the OG DP anime opening lol, and Ice is my favorite type, so I always teach my Dialga Blizzard as a reference to the anime opening.

Brilliant Diamond, because I picked Diamond as a kid (before I knew Platinum would come along). It had more version exclusives that I liked, and I've always liked Dialga better than Palkia anyway.

Diamond because it was my first DS game and Dialga is one of my favorite Pokemon. Fun fact but I originally thought Dialga was an Ice-type because of his appearance and he was standing on a glacier using Blizzard in the OG DP anime opening lol, and Ice is my favorite type, so I always teach my Dialga Blizzard as a reference to the anime opening.
I guess when "Diamond Dust" comes to mind, you'd think Dialga is an Ice type. But no, he's Steel/Dragon.

Remake version exclusives are based on the original versions. So Brilliant Diamond version exclusives are mostly Diamond exclusives and Shining Pearl exclusives are mostly Pearl Pokémon.
Well, in most cases. FRLG changed things so you could get Meowth and Mankey in the same game, also making Mankey an early game mon.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom