• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl / Legends: Arceus anime speculation thread

They won't do anything all that special for the remakes aside from more Sinnoh episodes than usual. I could see a time travel arc for Legends promotion (akin to the Darkest Day one). I think feudal Dawn has a better chance of showing up than Dawn does, since she seems to have something in common with Go.

Overall, probably not much. It would be nice to see Ash's Quilava, Rowlet and Oshawott together.

It seems to me that this idea of video game from Pokemon: Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl may guide anime for Dawn to return and reunite with Ash and Goh as the team but it won't work out like last year.

I will explain to you about May never return in series to make nine years of sad, disappointment returns and it never worked.

I will tell you something sad, the disappointment returns and it never worked. Nine years ago, we remember we hope that May will return with Ash and his new friends in any all episodes of Pokémon the Series: XY until the last episode that was announced eight years ago, the video games of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire to guide in anime but it does not work and disappoints. And another about Serena goes back with Ash in Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon we are hoping that she will appear the same as May in Diamond and Pearl and Dawn in Black & White but they were disappointed that they are not the same as before and that made us sad.

I think Dawn so it won't work in the future the same as May.
Sorry.

Oh, well. We'd better continue Ash's older friends without May, nor Dawn, nor Serena.

The difference here is that with May, her voice actress was unable to perform as her so they chose not to use her rather than to recast her. They don't have that problem with Dawn. It would be idiotic for the animé to not bring back Dawn, especially since there are two games coming that take place in Sinnoh. Dawn is also one of the most popular Pokégirls and the animé is losing viewers both in the west and in Japan, where the current series has only had two episode crack the top ten in rankings, despite the show having switch time slots so it's no longer competing against Chibi Maruko-chan. Also, one of the episodes that cracked the top 10 was the return to Alola episode. I think that if Dawn were to return, especially for an extended arc, it could bring back numerous viewers to the animé who really liked and continue to like her.

While the world tour gimmick can allow for Journeys to last as long as they want to, I'm just not sure how well that format can work long term. The series already has problems with being too fast paced and unfocused, which are probably the root causes of a lot of the main issues people have with the series, and we're just starting its second year. I'm just not sure how well the misadventures around the world setup can work over four years, let alone five.

They could split the difference and keep the multi-region format but set a majority of episodes in the Gen 9 region instead of Kanto. Which is how I wish they'd handled Gen 8.

Personally, I think the biggest impact the remakes might have on the anime would be the return of former characters, Dawn in particular. Since it's being marketed as a direct remake, DP already covered those storylines in the anime. So, unless there's some new kind of postgame, I don't see them taking anything story specific from the games. It's also pretty easy to pull from the characters because, unlike in past series where remakes were released, the anime isn't taking place in one singular region where it might not make sense story wise for a former companion or older character to appear. With Ash and Goh traveling to different regions, that excuse is officially gone and it should be pretty easy to work them in.

I think DP had some of the most interesting characters (Cynthia, Barry, Paul, etc) and would be super excited to see them again. That would totally satisfy me.

As for Legends, the anime has never been shy about finding ways to time travel, so wouldn't really surprise me if they found some way to feature it. Of course, I'm still waiting on Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra arcs, so who knows how long a Legends reference could take or if it'd even happen. The prospect would be pretty interesting though.

Personally, I love the chibi style for the character models. My instant reaction was "Oh my goodness Dawn looks so cute!" more than anything else.

I was starting to feel like the only one! I let out a high pitched squeal when I first saw Dawn, I think they look adorable :bulbaLove:

Maybe they could do another Wallace Cup, since the event itself is not region specific. That would fit with Journey's "narrative" and allow a reason for Dawn to return along with Piplup, while promoting the remakes. Barry could come back as a PWC rival or opponent, or even Paul. There's a lot they can do, really.

The Wallace Cup has been my #1 suggestion for this series, long before they even announced these games. It's literally the perfect excuse to gather up all of the past coordinators and give them an appearance without it feeling forced. I also miss Contests a whole lot, and I think it makes plenty of sense to introduce Goh and Chloe to them. Especially since they'll (probably) be featured again in the remakes. Even if it doesn't make sense to rehash storylines, revisiting a game's particular "side quest" does.

I can't see Pokemon releasing two giant games in the same year. Even COD doesn't do that. So maybe Ash and Goh have a year of this status quo....

.....They probably will get the balance right by then, right?

Lots of people here are trying to think of how the main anime will promote the new Pokemon Legends game, but consider the possibility of it getting its own anime project similar to stuff like Pokemon Origins and Twilight Wings. That way, there's no need to try and hamfist a time-travel plot into the anime (which has already been done countless times already), and as with most anime projects separate from the main anime, the quality of the anime will probably also be higher.

If Gardenia has a battle with Ash for the PWC and James sees Cacnea and they reunite I WILL cry and this is a THREAT.

View attachment 140348

Honestly, I've been thinking about Ash vs. Gardenia ever since the PWC was announced. James possibly reuniting with Cacnea or at least seeing how it had grown under Gardenia's care is the only reason I'd want her to appear again. And James' reaction to seeing Cacnea will break my heart. I still cry whenever I watch its farewell episode, so a reunion will pull at my heartstrings. I don't think that this is too likely too happen, but I would love it.

I'd also be happy with Jessie and James getting their DP Pokemon back. I don't think that's likely either, but James being with Mime Jr. again would be quite sweet.

Lots of people here are trying to think of how the main anime will promote the new Pokemon Legends game, but consider the possibility of it getting its own anime project similar to stuff like Pokemon Origins and Twilight Wings. That way, there's no need to try and hamfist a time-travel plot into the anime (which has already been done countless times already), and as with most anime projects separate from the main anime, the quality of the anime will probably also be higher.

That is possible. I don't think that a time travel plot would necessarily be hamfisted, especially when there aren't a lot of on-going plots in Journeys to make a time travel arc feel too out of the way, but giving it its own special or mini series is possible. That might be a good way to make its promotion stand out. I absolutely adore Twilight Wings, so a mini-series of that quality for Legends could be potentially really good too. I just really like the idea of Ash and Goh going into the past and catching some Pokemon, so I still kind of prefer that route at the moment.

Crazy theory time:

Game Freak is putting gen 9 on hold in order to focus on spinoff games that celebrate and explore the existing regions. Pokemon Legends: Arceus is the first time a spinoff game has taken place in a past region, and the title (plus the existence of a subtitle) seems to imply this will be the start of a new series.

In the same way that Pocket Monsters 2019 has broken away from main series games, it seems that the Pokemon franchise is breaking away from the "new gen every 3-4 years" cycle. In fact, this is probably the missing piece of the puzzle as to why the anime dropped its subtitle and shifted focus to the entire series rather than just the current gen, there will be an unprecedented gap between gens 8 and 9, making the current series last at least a few years longer than the previous ones. And to people who are wondering how Ash's journey can possibly continue after winning or losing the PWC, well it seems like the current "solution" is to prolong it as much as possible.

TPC's agenda for the time being looks to be celebrating and exploring the past regions, rather than continuing to spew out generation after generation of underdeveloped mainline games. This is probably the right call to be honest, there are 8 regions and almost 1,000 Pokemon at this point, why not take a step back and assess what they can do with all of these Pokemon and regions that people already love rather forcing a creatively bankrupt team to try and reinvent the wheel for the ninth time. Now that Game Freak are willing to experiment with open world games, they can present this old content in completely new ways, and it looks like Pokemon Legends might just be the first attempt at that.

And it seems Gou just might have time to catch every Pokemon after all...

Last edited:
The only potential issue with Natane/Gardenia is that her seiyuu is no more. Of course if they really want to bring her back they can just recast, but in my mind it does mean that she’s not likely to be the first pick :cry:

Personally, I think the biggest impact the remakes might have on the anime would be the return of former characters, Dawn in particular. Since it's being marketed as a direct remake, DP already covered those storylines in the anime. So, unless there's some new kind of postgame, I don't see them taking anything story specific from the games
I see what you mean.
However, I hardly see any way that the Anime could continue after something that's called Pokemon World Championships which basically covers everything. Either Ash is going to become an astronaut travelling different extaterrestrial planets or they'll introduce a whole new "concept" with the focus on the single regions. Personally, I can't see other logical alternatives.
So, that's why I said in my post above Sinnoh might introduce a concept that's much bigger than everything that has been so far. (At least that's my wish)

Last edited:
The only potential issue with Natane/Gardenia is that her seiyuu is no more. Of course if they really want to bring her back they can just recast, but in my mind it does mean that she’s not likely to be the first pick :cry:

That is sadly true, but if they really wanted to bring Gardenia back, I don't think that they would be against giving her a new voice actress. They have replaced actors before, so that probably isn't the main problem. The popularity of her Gardenia, or lack their of, would probably be a bigger issue. Plus, I don't know if they'd get her back just for a sweet heartbreaking moment for James, but I'd love to be wrong about that.

That is sadly true, but if they really wanted to bring Gardenia back, I don't think that they would be against giving her a new voice actress. They have replaced actors before, so that probably isn't the main problem. The popularity of her Gardenia, or lack their of, would probably be a bigger issue. Plus, I don't know if they'd get her back just for a sweet heartbreaking moment for James, but I'd love to be wrong about that.
Chuck says hi.

Chuck says hi.

Chuck is indeed the prime example of how they can bring practically any character back. Chuck isn't even one of the more recognizable/popular Fighting type Gym Leaders, so a lot of characters have a better chance of appearing if they're willing to bring him back.

Ray, I know that's a theory but I highly disagree with that. Nothing points at breaking away from Gens every 3-4 years. It's even more likely that Gen 9 is coming out in 2023 because DP remakes are done by someone else and not GF since GF is doing Legends. Gen 9 is coming in 2023, nothing proves otherwise especially since Sword and Shield is third the most selling Pokemon game of all time.
Only thing that would make them break away from Gen 9 in 2023 is Corona because Gen 9 started in 2019/2020, but I doubt that if some games can come out in several years which are developed during Corona so can Gen 9

Ray, I know that's a theory but I highly disagree with that. Nothing points at breaking away from Gens every 3-4 years. It's even more likely that Gen 9 is coming out in 2023 because DP remakes are done by someone else and not GF since GF is doing Legends. Gen 9 is coming in 2023, nothing proves otherwise especially since Sword and Shield is third the most selling Pokemon game of all time.
Only thing that would make them break away from Gen 9 in 2023 is Corona because Gen 9 started in 2019/2020, but I doubt that if some games can come out in several years which are developed during Corona so can Gen 9

Pretty sure they started working on gen 9 in 2018, when Sword and Shield most likely were already done developing for the most part (Last year is most likely polishing the game).

I think Gamefreak has 3 or 4 teams at this point: The main team, the secondary team, a third team (Who can do the polishing) and the rookie team (The team that most likely aided the third team with the DLC).

Notice how Ohmori isn't credited for Legends (As far as we know, since the other dude who did the talking during the Presents most likely is the main man for Legends) and the Gen 4 remakes. Ohmori is currently working on gen 9, most likely together with James Turner.

The secondary team most likely started developing legends when they handed the polishing over to the third team, while the main team started to work on gen 9.

There is also a reason why Legends is coming out early 2022 instead of late 2022 (Which would have given them more development time). They most likely have something planned for late 2022 as well, which is most likely gen 9, especially since its mostly the side series that come out in the earlier months of the year (Look at New Pokemon Snap coming out in April, instead of Summer 2021, which i had expected, since the game gives of a summer vibe).

Pokemon Unite most likely releases in between New Pokemon Snap and the Sinnoh remakes, especially since they weren't featured in the Pokemon Presents, which makes me believe they will release after New Pokemon Snap.

Last edited:
Pretty sure they started working on gen 9 in 2018, when Sword and Shield most likely were already done developing for the most part (Last year is most likely polishing the game).

I think Gamefreak has 3 or 4 teams at this point: The main team, the secondary team, a third team (Who can do the polishing) and the rookie team (The team that most likely aided the third team with the DLC).

Notice how Ohmori isn't credited for Legends (As far as we know, since the other dude who did the talking during the Presents most likely is the main man for Legends) and the Gen 4 remakes. Ohmori is currently working on gen 9, most likely together with James Turner.

The secondary team most likely started developing legends when they handed the polishing over to the third team, while the main team started to work on gen 9.

There is also a reason why Legends is coming out early 2022 instead of late 2022 (Which would have given them more development time). They most likely have something planned for late 2022 as well, which is most likely gen 9, especially since its mostly the side series that come out in the earlier months of the year (Look at New Pokemon Snap coming out in April, instead of Summer 2021, which i had expected, since the game gives of a summer vibe).

Pokemon Unite most likely releases in between New Pokemon Snap and the Sinnoh remakes, especially since they weren't featured in the Pokemon Presents, which makes me believe they will release after New Pokemon Snap.
I agree, just I think it would be more reasonable for Gen 9 to come out in 2023( since I don't see two main games in same year). Or What if they delay Legends for late 2022? There's possibilty in that, I don't know. I would like Generation 9 in 2022 too but honestly I think it's more latter.

I agree, just I think it would be more reasonable for Gen 9 to come out in 2023( since I don't see two main games in same year). Or What if they delay Legends for late 2022? There's possibilty in that, I don't know. I would like Generation 9 in 2022 too but honestly I think it's more latter.

I don't think Gamefreak is a company that likes to delay games after they have announced them or revealed gameplay to the general public (Like for example we still haven't seen anything regarding Pokemon Sleep and Detective Pikachu 2, but we still know they are coming some day, unless they are secretly scrapped).

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom