• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bring it Back...

I'd like to bring back:
  • Mega Evolution - Give all starters Megas.
  • Trainer Customization
  • Pokémon Starter Customization (like we saw in Pokémon Let's Go, only expanded a bit)
  • Pokémon appearing in the overworld
  • Bring Back the ability to select Natures like we had with Madame Celadon in LGPE
  • Post-game storyline and quests
  • PSS and especially Super Training
  • Hyper Training
  • Allow the player to explore multiple regions. I'd love for there to be a game where we could explore Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. I don't know if it could be done on the Switch or with current console generation technology, but I could see it being possible in the near future.
  • PWT and/or Battle Frontier
  • Battle Chateau or some other place where you can go to level up quickly.
  • Early access to the EXP Share (but have it start out being off and have there be different settings on it based on how it functioned throughout the various generations, and maybe the ability to share only between certain Pokémon.)
  • Bring back the ability to use all Pokémon from the franchise, preferably also bring back the National dex (or maybe a World dex given the various regions seem to now be in different parts of the world) as well, but the important thing is to bring back the Pokémon, themselves.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think a minigame, a quiz, and literally just playing the game as one would be anyway by collecting badges sound any significantly more or less interesting than going through a series of tasks that for the most part are framed as references to the Mythical in question's lore or native generation.
You'll have to explain those references beyond "Pokemon from the same generation". I will say that a mythical being given for completing a regional Pokedex wouldn't be a bad way to go about things.

I don't think I'd feel that from what's essentially a Game Corner game and the Passerby Analytics questionnaire.
It was a quiz about the player's beliefs as a trainer, not unlike the Dragon's Den one.

You'll have to explain those references beyond "Pokemon from the same generation".

We know that Celebi is associated mainly with four things: time, forests, peace, and eggs.

In GO, you are trying to create conditions that seem attractive to the Pokémon based on what it's known for. Willow explains some of these as you go along:

"<Player>, you've been such a help in conducting Field Research and Special Research! I have a feeling that there's so much more about this world that we've yet to discover, and I'm glad I can count on you to see it through. I've been doing some experiments of my own, and I suspect that I'm onto a further exciting discovery about another Mythical Pokémon that's rarely seen. Would you mind completing these tasks while I conclude my studies? Please Power up Pokémon 5 times, Battle in a Gym 2 times, and Battle in a raid."

"But according to my most recent data, it seems that the Mythical Pokémon I'm tracking only appears in times of peace. Also, from what I've gathered, it seems fond of forests and lush greens. Would you mind exploring this further, <player>? Let's Make 3 new friends, Evolve an evolved Grass-type Pokémon, and Catch a Pokémon 3 days in a row."

"Excellent work, <player>! I feel we're getting closer to this Mythical Pokémon. I wonder if we can find some more friends for it by hatching some Eggs. Ah, and maybe you could put that Sun Stone you've earned to good use as well? Please Reach level 25, Use a Sun Stone to evolve Gloom or Sunkern, and Hatch 9 Eggs."

"Oh wow, is that an Eevee you've caught? Perfect timing! Did you know that this Pokémon's unstable genetic makeup enables it to take on one of several different Evolutions? I'll bet if you spend some time with it during the day, you'll be able to evolve your Eevee into an Eevee—a Psychic-type Pokémon just like the Mythical Pokémon I'm researching! Can you Walk 10 km with Eevee as your buddy to earn Candy, Evolve Eevee into Espeon during the day, and Send 20 Gifts to friends?"

"Oh wow, is that an Eevee you've caught? Perfect timing! Wait... Have we... had this conversation already? I'm getting a funny feeling in the back of my mind—like we've been here before. <Player>, would you spend some time with this Eevee during the night? I think you'll be able to see an intriguing evolved form as a result. I wonder if this funny feeling will recur... Please Walk 10 km with Eevee as your buddy to earn Candy, Evolve Eevee into Umbreon at night, and Trade a Pokémon."

"<Player>, I have some exciting news! That funny feeling hasn't returned, but I did some important reading and learned that the Mythical Pokémon we're researching has the ability to travel across time! Maybe that's why all of this is occurring... or recurring... Maybe this Pokémon is nearby?! I suggest that you collect samples over the course of the next week and experiment with some Evolution items to see whether that feeling occurs again. While you're at it, do you have any Pinap Berries? My research could benefit from more data on their use. Return with that, and you can have these exotic Silver Pinap Berries! Please Visit PokéStops 7 days in a row, Use 25 Pinap Berries while catching Pokémon, and Use items to evolve Pokémon 2 times."

"This data is so helpful. Thank you! I'll use it to explore my theory. While you were in the field, I made more headway in learning about this Mythical Pokémon, and it seems that its mere presence causes grass and trees to flourish. I think if you catch more Grass-type Pokémon, this elusive time-traveling Pokémon will reveal itself! Let's Catch 40 Grass- or Psychic-type Pokémon, Make an Excellent Curveball Throw, and Earn a Gold Johto medal."

Making, trading with, and sending gifts to new friends is the creation of the peaceful spaces in which Celebi is said to appear. And Celebi is known for ferrying eggs across time - hatching nine eggs would illustrate to it that you share a value when it comes to caring for young Pokémon. In terms of time, you have to evolve Eevee into Espeon and Umbreon, which are affected by the passage of night and day and therefore thematically linked to time, while also walking with and building your bond with Eevee, which is something I'm sure Celebi would approve of as well. And then you have the plethora of Grass-type Pokémon that need to be caught or evolved, which shows that Grass-type Pokémon are flourishing, and simulates the environment of the forests that Celebi comes to protect.

Aside from the first stage of research, all of the stages have a reference to either those themes, or to Generation 2 Pokémon in general (or both). In the case of the latter, there's the use of the Sun Stone to obtain Sunflora or Bellossom, there's the requirement of obtaining both of Eevee's Gen 2 evolutions, there's the requirement of using items to evolve two Pokémon (which, at the time, would have only corresponded to Gen 2 Pokémon - Sunflora and Bellossom again, as well as Politoed, Slowking, Steelix, Scizor, Kingdra, and Porygon2 - although granted, the Sinnoh Stone Pokémon now count toward this), and obtaining a Gold Johto medal.

It was a quiz about the player's beliefs as a trainer, not unlike the Dragon's Den one.

I'm aware, I just don't find a small quiz to be very engaging gameplay.

And it's a nitpick, but on a philosophical level I don't exactly love the idea of the game asking opinion questions and only giving me a reward if I get them "correct." They're supposed to be opinions. Granted, both Chieko and the Dragon Master would, in-universe, have vested interests in only giving their best rewards to people that they deem worthy, but for how much the games endorse the acceptance of other ways of thinking, it feels patronizing. At any rate, I feel like I'd rather prove my worth to Celebi through actions.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom