• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bring on the Musicals!!!

Chalkwriter

The non-erasable chalk
Reaction score
Okay, now that Pokémon Black and White has ditched Pokémon Contests, should they introduce musicals instead? We could find out that Iris is very interested in musicals.

Although, to be honest, the DP contest format didn't follow the fourth generation contests at all...

We've actually already seen a Musical in the Anime. You can read more about it here.

They already made an episode about the Musicals and it was terrible. So no thanks.

I didn't mind contests during AG and DP, but I've definitely had my fill of them now. I don't want to see anything similar become equally as important in BW, especially since the sole episode based on Musicals nearly put me to sleep.

How would Musicals become a plotline anyway? Practicing dance routines?

Well, no not really. Considering the whole "kids formula" that BW has been running, it would probably turn out very corny. That and people having very different views on what constitutes a "good" song, so it might be too hard to come up with something that pleases everyone. The people in charge of music for the anime would have one heck of a time constantly inventing songs to use and frankly, I don't think they're up to the task of turning out good ones that frequently.

I don't think Musicals will be shown outside of the two episodes already aired. I think the writers just wanted to have a couple of episodes dedicated to them, and then be done with them.

Why would they do this when Musicals don't fit Iris character at all and she's a sidekick not a costar?

Both the Pokeathlon and Musicals were purposely sabotaged in the anime so they wouldn't become popular. You could really tell that with the Contests the writers promoted the hell out of them because they really wanted them to catch on in the anime which they did.

I don't see any other sidequest getting that level of screentime again. The Musicals can't even function as a real event.

Musicals don't have the same impact as Contests.

Contests were another form of battles - with much more creativity. Musicals are just shows.

Musicals were bland in the games and arguably worse in the episode they did get.

Don't think they deserve any more attention.

Having Iris do Pokemon Musicals wouldn't be very original, though - May and Dawn did Pokemon Contests, so Iris doing Musicals wouldn't be too original. Besides, I think Cilan would be a better choice, actually, as he is more eccentric and so he would probably enjoy them more. Besides, having just the female main characters doing the contests and things would be a bit sexist, right?

Besides, (I'm saying besides a lot) it's a bit late for that sort of thing anyway. Dawn decided to do contests from day one, whereas May decided to do them in AG016, and even that was late! If Iris/Cilan decided to do musicals now, it'd be BW071, which is almost halfway through the series. And that is very​ late.

The Musicals likely won't ever be seen again. Much like the Pokeathlon they got one terrible filler an they were done with it.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom