• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Brock, Cilan and Tracey: Why Bother?

Not every character needs to have a huge role. Some are just there to be fun characters and they will still be liked.

Agreed. There are plenty shows out there where not every companion is destined to have some big role filled with lot of character developoment, dissection of his own past, fears and personality serving as someone who supports other main characters and provide entertainment with his own quips, observations and interests.

Not to mention personally i don't think Ash and just main girl would suffice and contain enough variety in characterization and chemistry on their own to support main anime for hundreds of episodes. Majority of ther anime like Monsuno, Bakugan, Beyblade ,Full metal Alchemist, Naruto etc, etc,. have not just three but often even more characters in main cast.

To have additional protagonists with who viewers could symphatize and connect themselves to, develop interest for moe than just one or two characters and get feeling of following real companionship growing between people who travel together with extra character often serving as glue, important piece of puzzle which strengthen group chemistry better promoting sense of untity and friendship that way.

Something i feel Brock, Cilan, Clemont, even Tracey did pretty well.
Allowing to take dynamic between Ash and main girl through their own extrovert, bouncy traits and character sides in variety of different directions, making play of between compoanions more stable, diverse and enjoyable to follow. Balancing out less mature companions escapades and conflict calming things down and promoting sense of commradeship, security among main cast.

Likewise their various interests like Cilan hobbies such as fishing, detective roles, trains etc, Brock expertize and knowledge in preparing various herbs, sprays and all kind of potions etc often gave to us as viewers insight in daily routines,background info on other things /detailscharacters did in their lives which we dont see very often. Aside from battling, training, working on dreams or entering action in resolving issues which was mainly something Ash and female part of main cast would do. Imbuing group and anime as whole with more realism and substance through supporting, valuable tasks more wise male companions offered to main plot and other characters.

Something i felt Cilan did pretty well, so did Brock functioning imo great until Sinnoh(though ill admit he seemed to have best chemisatry with group in OS mainly because Misty tomboyish , more tough personality would always keep him in check and sharing interests in subjects like romance exploited more of his character). But he still had very good interactions with Max who viewed him as somesort of rolemodel. Max and Ash often teaming up and having sparing battles feeling like his levelheaded, poised presence made main cast feel more complete.

Tracey sadly lasted for too short to ever get his personality fleshed out, get info on his past and experiience any sort of character growth. But he still helped main cast by informing Ash and others about how Orange league works, what are dangers and attractions characteristic for that island archipelgo having his fun, entertaining moments. Fulfilling on Ash and Misty personalities acting like nice contrast to their more flamboyant natures.

p.s. Btw. Happy Easter to anyone who celebrate it!

That requires money. It's expensive for most people IRL to eat out a lot; in the world of Pokemon, you have to rely on money you win by battling. Unless Ash or one of his female companions learned to cook at some point, he'd be flat broke.

Seriously though, Brock obviously need food to make donuts rice balls which cost MONEY. In addition, the "battling for money" feature was NEVER adapted.

Care to explain?

Brock was fine in the original series. Ash needed a mentor back then. He should have been semi-retired after Ash travels to Hoenn though; Ash could have mentored May, and Brock should only have returned whenever Ash and his crew were back in Kanto for whatever reason - and even then it could be Misty instead.

Brock was a good mentor for Ash, but then he started to overstay his welcome. Tracy was just there. He seemed to just chug along with whatever was happening, not really having any sort of personality. Cilan, IMO, was the best of the 3. He was the most eccentric, had more battles and was just more involved, I think.

When it comes to marriage proposal on her brother behalf which it cause him to be embarrassed, she acts like Brock. I like to see Cilan to be promoted to S-Class Connoisseur while Burgundy be demoted to D-Class or worst or being demoted from B-Class to C-Class.

You can't have Ash hang out with just a girl cause girls are icky but he has to hang out with a girl cause the show runners don't wanna look like sexist douchebags who think girls are icky.

I thought that Brock had great characterization and his goal was bluntly obvious. I could name so many episodes where he had importance in Kanto and Johto and some spots in Hoenn. I think the show would have been negatively different with out him.

However, in DP this is where I strongly agree he wasn't needed. He was literally in the background. Even in DP promotional posters it was only Ash and Dawn, no Brock. That's where I didn't think he was needed.

As for Tracey, it's pretty obvious he was only there to be there. To replace Brock of course. But what is interesting is that he actually did show purpose in my point of view. He seemed very serious about sketching, and he did have episode to his importance. I know people thinks that OI should've been just Ash and Misty, but I prefer Tracey being there because a Trio works out more smoothly.

In terms of Cilan, yeah, that's where you see they just needed a male companion. I like Clemont though so far. He's showing great characterization, hence being my all time favorite XY character.

Anyways, I feel like people don't care for the main companion and want just Ash x the female companion for sole shipping reasons, when if you look at it real closely the male companion actually can spark that up ;)

OfCorsola-san, I agree with the Clemont part. As far as I've seen (up to XY007), I just can't help thinking "Man, if only I could come up with an invention that awesome!" And for those who think Clemont's invention are failures: At least one did do its job properly - in making Dedenne healthy again in XY004. The other also sort of did its job before imploding too (XY005?). They were actually cases of fail-safe shutdown mechanisms not functioning.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom