• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Buffs for various pokemon

TheHungryBox

Reaction score
here's all my ideal buffs
-Venusaur now learns Rock Slide via TM
-Butterfree now learns Hurricane
-Alola Raichu now learns Electric Terrain (via level-up), Surf and Dazzling Gleam (both via TM)
-Alola Sandslash now learns Ice Shard
-Nidoqueen now learns Gunk Shot
-Nidoking now learns Gunk Shot and Crunch
-Clefable now learns Tailwind
-Wigglytuff now learns Tailwind, Belly Drum, and Boomburst
-Arcanine now learns Earthquake
-Poliwrath now learns Liquidation, Superpower and Drain Punch
-Machamp now learns Mach Punch
-Gengar now learns Nasty Plot and Sludge Wave (via TM)
-Electivire now learns Throat Chop, Knock Off, Power-Up Punch, Drain Punch, Superpower and Bulk Up as well as gaining the Iron Fist ability
-Magmortar now learns Earth Power and Eruption as well as gaining the Sheer Force ability
-Glaceon now learns Freeze-Dry and Dazzling Gleam
-Typhlosion now learns Earth Power
-Togekiss now learns Moonblast and Hurricane
-Ampharos now learns Tail Glow, Dazzling Gleam, Flash Cannon and gains Lighting Rod ability
-Weavile now gains the Moxie ability
-Entei now learns Earthquake
-Sceptile now learns Nasty Plot (via breeding)
-Gardevoir now learns Aura Sphere
-Breloom now learns Drain Punch (via level-up)
-Aggron now learns Crunch
-Roserade now learns Quiver Dance
-Flygon now learns Bug Buzz
-Lunatone now learns Moonlight (via level-up)
-Solrock now learns Morning Sun (via level-up)
-Torterra HA is now Thick Fat
-Rampardos now gains the Rock Head ability
-Lopunny now learns Play Rough (via breeding)
-Vesiquen now gains the Queenly Majesty ability
-Gible line now learns Bite
-Abomasnow now learns Ice Hammer
-Pignite now learns Bulk Up
-Emboar now learns Fire Punch (via level-up) and Drain Punch
-Samurott now learns Sacred Sword (via level-up)
-Lilligant now learns Dazzling Gleam and Weather Ball
-Scrafty now learns Sucker Punch and Gunk Shot
-Cinccino now learns Play Rough and Comet Punch
-Reuinclus now learns Thunderbolt
-Ferrothorn now learns Spiky Shield
-Eelektross now learns, Aqua Tail (via level-up), Leech Life and Thunder Fang
-Haxorus now learns Dragon Rush
-Beartic now learns Ice Hammer
-Hydreigon now learns Dragon Dance (via breeding)
-Reshiram now learns Earth Power
-Zekrom now learns Earthquake and Superpower
-Kyurem now learns Ice Shard, Icicle Crash, Earthquake and Superpower
-Delphox now learns Charge Beam, Thunderbolt, Aura Sphere, Energy Ball and Weather Ball
-Florges now learns Giga Drain and Synthesis (via breeding)
-Pangoro now learns Sucker Punch and Mach Punch
-Heliolisk now learns Solar Beam, Weather Ball, Sunny Day and Dazzling Gleam
-Tyrantrum now learns Stomping Tantrum and Outrage (via level-up)
-Aurorus now learns Aurora Veil, Power Gem, Calm Mind and Dazzling Gleam
-Goodra now learns Recover
-Incineroar now learns Sucker Punch
-Primarina now learns Calm Mind, Wish, Draining Kiss and Aurora Veil
-Crabominable now learns Ice Shard
-Lurantis now gains the Chlorophyll ability
-Bewear now learns Play Rough (via breeding),
-Silvally now learns Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse and Dragon Pulse
-Jamgmo-o line now learns Bite
-Kommo-o now learns Aura Sphere, Stone Edge, Mach Punch and Power-Up Punch, HA is now Multiscale + more egg moves (Dragon Pulse, Superpower, Iron Head, Iron Tail, Elemental Fangs, Crunch, Dragon Dance)

any other ideas?

Last edited:
This is a long list. Did you write them down as you encountered them? I don't have any specifics, but as I'm playing through the whole series before 2019, I do run into problems. Currently, none of my Pokemon in platinum naturally know status moves that affect the catch rate and mostly have access to defog. Even just paralyzing a higher level enemy is difficult. You apparently don't get the TM for thunder wave after the E4 and I don't have the energy to train a new Pokemon now since I have 7 badges. It made catching Giratina much harder than it should have.

I think this a nice thread to have for the upcoming Generation VIII. However, what came to mind immediately when I saw it was stat buffs to Pokemon-I really love those because it really gives certain species a new lease on life. For example, Masquerain and Mantine were two notable 'mons who got considerably stronger in Gen 7.

It makes me wonder who else will be improved in the future.

I think this a nice thread to have for the upcoming Generation VIII. However, what came to mind immediately when I saw it was stat buffs to Pokemon-I really love those because it really gives certain species a new lease on life. For example, Masquerain and Mantine were two notable 'mons who got considerably stronger in Gen 7.

It makes me wonder who else will be improved in the future.

Going back through the old games and I repeated a pattern of thought until Sinnoh, really. It was, "Is this Pokemon ever going to learn another move? Oh, it's normal type. Thanks." Then getting frustrated enough to look up their learnset only to see their stats and wondering what was even the use of this Pokemon? Except it happened enough that I realized, "Oh, Pokemon didn't all have to have massive stats to keep the game viable." That is at least one reason why the games were harder. Limited moves, limited stats, strategically punishing boss fights against your weak Pokemon unless you managed to grind, overlevel, and have a guide to tell you what your move actually did and how powerful it was. I love my memories with all of these games. Almost all of the games have moments no other game can recapture. But wow, these games are rough and enjoy throwing things at you without meaning.

Meganium. Meganium needs....something. Anything.

Pleaseeeeee. Meganium is one of my favorite starters. I freaked out as a kid when I saw my bayleef evolve into a compact brontosaurus. I feel similarly about running into Tropius for the first time. I assumed it had to be a legendary Pokemon.

Blastoise is the only Kanto Starter without a reliable recovery move. It’s also the one who’s playstyle needs it the most.

Give it Slack Off and watch her longevity skyrocket.

Also, make it Water/Steel

I think Kyurem needs a stronger Steel-type move to help him deal with the ever growing population of strong Fairy-types, and as a side bonus, finally get coverage against Xerneas. Dragon-types with Steel-type moves should've been common these days anyways.

I think Kyurem needs a stronger Steel-type move to help him deal with the ever growing population of strong Fairy-types, and as a side bonus, finally get coverage against Xerneas. Dragon-types with Steel-type moves should've been common these days anyways.
the only logical and possible one i could see is Iron Tail, and even then, Iron Tail isn't for everyone because its accuracy, and that's why people use Iron Head when it comes to Steel STAB (unless it has STAB Bullet Punch, Heavy Slam or Meteor Mash) and Weakness coverage (tho, unless its weak to Fairy, there's better options like Earthquake and Superpower)

now that i think of it, Heavy Slam could also be fitting and useful (not againist the other heavy Ubers) for Kyurem

Dragon-types with Steel-type moves should've been common these days anyways.
Not really. It's not like Dragons don't still dominate the metagame. We're not talking about Bug Types here. Really good defensive typing + overall high stats across the board + ridiculous movepool options means Dragon types are still a brutal force to be reckoned with. Fairy types existing just means that Dragons are somewhat tempered. However, it should be noted that most Fairy types lean towards Special defense while most Dragon types lean towards Attack.

I really don't understand where the idea is coming from that Fairy's existence has suddenly neutered Dragons. Nothing could be further from the truth. As someone who's favorite type is Grass, I'm gonna have to call bs on that notion.

Typhlosion too needs something... Earth Power and Thunderbolt might do the trick.
Honestly, all three Johto Starters need something. In order of urgency, it goes Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr.

Meganium mostly just needs a niche. Something that can make her stand out from every other bulky Grass type. Historically, I've advocated for her getting the necessary moves to become a good Baton Passer, but I'm not opposed to other ideas. Typhlosion just needs a better movepool. Feraligatr is the one that's best off, but even still, he's stuck in Gyarados' shadow. Particularly now that Mega Gyara is a thing.

Meganium mostly just needs a niche. Something that can make her stand out from every other bulky Grass type. Historically, I've advocated for her getting the necessary moves to become a good Baton Passer, but I'm not opposed to other ideas. Typhlosion just needs a better movepool. Feraligatr is the one that's best off, but even still, he's stuck in Gyarados' shadow. Particularly now that Mega Gyara is a thing.

I really wish they got Mega Evolutions, with Typhlosion being a fast special attacker with a movepool like Thunderbolt, Earth Power, and (a more extreme idea)... Scald?
Volcanion too is a volcano Pokemon and part water type so it wouldn’t be too far fetched for another Volcano based Pokémon to learn a water move. And water moves with fire types isn’t a new concept since Emboar too has the move.

As for Meganium, I haven’t really used it much but I had the idea of it being a Grass/Fairy healing Pokemon in its Mega with Triage which I shared before.

I really wish they got Mega Evolutions, with Typhlosion being a fast special attacker with a movepool like Thunderbolt, Earth Power, and (a more extreme idea)... Scald?
Volcanion too is a volcano Pokemon and part water type so it wouldn’t be too far fetched for another Volcano based Pokémon to learn a water move. And water moves with fire types isn’t a new concept since Emboar too has the move.

As for Meganium, I haven’t really used it much but I had the idea of it being a Grass/Fairy healing Pokemon in its Mega with Triage which I shared before.

Oh, speaking about Mega Evolutions, I could also think of Eeveelutions getting Mega Evolutions with secondary-typing. Maybe Ice/Fighting Glaceon to increase speed and counter Steel-types? Or Water/Dragon Vaporeon with increased speed and attack to make him balanced?

Oh, speaking about Mega Evolutions, I could also think of Eeveelutions getting Mega Evolutions with secondary-typing. Maybe Ice/Fighting Glaceon to increase speed and counter Steel-types? Or Water/Dragon Vaporeon with increased speed and attack to make him balanced?
I don’t think Eeveelutions are getting Megas anytime soon. And even if they did I don’t think they’d get a second type.

And an even better Vaporeon while the other Eeveelutions like Leafeon and Flareon remain subpar is the last thing we need.

Eveelutions and megas? is risky subject if we didn't used all other types yet for them.
But some should gain really better moves even of other types then usually.

They've been handing out signature moves like candy lately, so can't Meganium get something based on its lore? Something like, I dunno, 'Soothing Scent', a move that lowers both Attack and Special Attack of all adjacent opponents by two stages. Meganium is said to use its fragrance to calm feelings of aggression after all. Or maybe as a Bayleef it could gain access to a scent move that raises the attack/Special Attack of itself and its allies?

Maybe a slight redistribution of its stats too?

HP: 80
Attack: 82
Defense: 110
Sp. Atk: 83
Sp. Def: 110
Speed: 70

So it would get a base stat total of 535, which is still in line with the other starters.

I don’t think Eeveelutions are getting Megas anytime soon. And even if they did I don’t think they’d get a second type.

And an even better Vaporeon while the other Eeveelutions like Leafeon and Flareon remain subpar is the last thing we need.

Maybe Leafeon with stats rivalling Marshadow? A bulky Flareon sImilar to Incineroar? What about Umbreon being special tank? Or Sylveon being a fast-attacker? That would screw things up a bit.

It'd be nice to see Minccino have other moves besides Tail Slap to make use of Skill Link. Its evolution gets all the good moves, but I'd much rather use Minccino.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom