• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Building a competitive team

marshtomper

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am looking to build a competitive team in ORAS, and I'm looking for advice in general as I'm a bit pants...
I want to build it around Mega Houndoom (I know it's not the best but I love HOundoom) so I assume I'll need one with maxed SPA and SPE, but wondering how to balance that out. I've currently got with it Dragonite (SHINY), Milotic, Torterra, Pachirisu and Gardevoir. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Marshtomper

Well, much as I would like to assist you, it wouldn't really do that much good if we don't know the specific sets each of your Pokémon have. In other words, what moves, items, Abilities, Natures and EVs they have. Most of those are pretty simple to view by looking at the Summury (obviousy), but if you want to view EVs, go into Super Training, get a Reset Bag (if you don't have one already), save the game, use it on the 'mon whose EVs you want to view and, once you know the specific numbers, reset your game to before you used the Reset Bag.

Oh, and an idea of what format you intend to use this team in would be nice too.

...But I digress, I think I may have rambled a bit too much there, but I do know of something taht yould help: you mentioned you wanted to build a team around Mega Houndoom, correct? Well, in that case, since Mega Houndoom is best in the Sun, I would have at a Ninetales with Drought on the team to set up the Sun on a regular basis, as well as a couple 'mons with the Abilities Solar Power, Chlorophyl, Harvest or some other Ability that's activated by the Sun that I may have forgotten about. Other then that, however, it really depends on your specific move sets.

Oh, and here's an example moveset for a Ninetales:

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

I didn't say this is a good Ninetales set, it's just an example of the information required to pass judgement on a team.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom